Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #5251
AGM deep cycle batteries

We have a 2017 Thor Axis 24.1
We want to replace the house batteries
We would like to use AGM deep cycle batteries.
Anyone have advice as a yes or no. ?
Advice?
Thanks, Jim

Old 01-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
https://www.fullriverbattery.com/dc-series-batteries/
I have 3 of them and want a 4th but they are pricy. They work awesome.
You can search between 6v versus 12v options, both get the job done, just cleaner wiring on the 6V, but if one of the batteries die, then you are stuck, versus two 12V batteries in parallel.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:47 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21793 View Post
Advice?
Thanks, Jim

I think it’s a great choice. But you’ll get a lot of folks telling you to get 6V batteries or lithium etc. Personally, I like cheap flooded 12V deep cycle but I understand lots of folks don’t want the hassle of checking the water. Get fresh ones on sale at your convenience instead of waiting until it’s urgent and mid trip.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
AGM batteries?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1610474453
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HELL-YEAH 2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	28019  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:15 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Unless you need to lay them on their side they have onlyone other advantage.
You do not have to add water.
They add incredible expense for little value.

The last page of my signature thread has a link to the
Real life(lab tests)
Of batteries and their real cost.

(I have agm in all of my other vehicles.
Agm can withstand offroad punches your rv will never encounter.)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I agree with Duck. They also seem to be less tolerant of poor charging maintenance than FLA batteries.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:39 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But you've got to admit: that "no adding water" thing; is pretty neat!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:03 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Ohio
THOR #16882
Have installed AGMs in the last 3 motorhomes and wouldn't use anything but. Have never had a problem with charging and longest in use was 6 years and still going strong. Our current MH is the Tuscany 45AT and the batteries are under the floor of the rear closet (very bad decision) and to maintain had to remove everything from the closet. Upgraded to AGMs within a month of owning and sold the wet cells at a very good price.
Very happy AGM owner!!
Old 01-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I changed to Trojan T105 AGM a couple years back

It accomplished what I wanted

No corrosion in the battery compartment
No water additions and gassing off
Slower to discharge when sitting for a few weeks
Faster to charge up
Enough capacity to run the heater and fridge plus the misc overnight when boondocking

The flooded batteries were three years old and had been abused trying to make it overnight in non generator run times

I plan on keeping the coach several years so it was a no brainer for me
Old 01-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #10

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Most of the AGM, Gel Cell or Lithium require a temp sensor to keep from over heating an splitting the case, I have 4, 12 volt Gel Cells and the stock converter in my 2017 Axis is not compatible with these batteries, My solar controller has a setting just for the different types of batteries and has a temp sensor and my inverter/charger also has a specific setting for the AGM, Gel Cel and Lithium batteries and a temp sensor, do some research on everything before you commit, all these batteries have a 10 year so called life but a typical deep cycle lead acid battery will usually last 5 years and they are only about $100.00 each an the AGM and Gel Cells, run between $250.00 and $350.00 each, my friends are looking at Lithium Iron batteries and they are looking to spend $1,500.00 each, all depends on what you want to spend your money on.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:43 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I pulled my FLA Duracells out of my rig before storing it...
I decided to check and fill the cells with distilled water today.
Well: they are full, and the batteries are on the Tender...
But I always manage to spill... more than I fill...
Old 01-23-2021, 09:24 PM   #12

State: Florida
THOR #8183
IMO It's a lot of money just to avoid checking the water level. I spent $60 ($30x2) for these and they make monitoring and adding water to the batteries a piece of cake. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 A heck of lot cheaper than 4 AGM batteries.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #13

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
AGM $250 - $300 If you see or pay that much for AGM, it is probably a model that has a long or extended warranty?

When my House flood batteries even begin to blink they may go dead, or have trouble holding a charge, I will simply buy 2 of these. Get the 10% Coupon and save $27

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/rv/deep-cycle/12

When I get these or similar; I will immediately have upgraded my group size, AH, and reserve capacity. No more having to add water In fact I am going to stop adding water to my existing batteries to assist them to go bad sooner; so I may buy these new AGMs
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:46 PM   #14

Model: Chateau V25
THOR #19470
2019 Thor 25V. About six months ago, along with 190w solar panel, I added four 6-volt VMAX AGM Batteries (225ah each), ran them parallel & serial. Cost: $1022 but this gives me 12v @ a true 225ah at a cost of $1.14/ah. About twice the price of deep cycle lead. Not cheap, but I'm happy I don't have to add water!

In the same bay as this battery bank, I added 40A solar controller, a 3000w pure sine inverter/charger, and a temp sensor.
puppygeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:47 PM   #15

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I bought the Renogy 100ah 12 volt and they are equal to a 30 or 31, I had the group 24s Interstates and they failed in less than a year, the first two I bought from Amazon for $350.00 each and the second pair were down to $250.00 each, I went back and forth between the Gel Cels and the AGMS, there were claims the Gels would outlast the AGMs, only time will tell.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:52 PM   #16

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Last time I bought a really good high quality battery was about 11 year ago. I hit a curb with the right front tire in my SUV that somehow disabled the gas (something to do with Safety); but apparently there were a few loads still activated because during the repair by a Lincoln dealer they said the battery was toast. It was $225 to get a Ford Motocraft OEM

Since then I have always used Wal Mart's EverStart batteries whenever the OEM battery would fail. I used to try to keep the wal mart battery receipt for each car, but it was NEVER necessary. I just know that wherever I am at, I can always go to Wal Mart and get a new battery for about $75.

In fact, my hope is that by the time I finally do kill off my existing 3 year old RV OEM Flood batteries, that Wal Mart may have the replacement 31 Group AGMs that I want at the stores; so I don't have to pay $135 to Batteries Plus for the same thing.

Beside not adding water to the flood batteries, does anyone know of another way to help accelerate the slow death of two 3 year OEM supplied flood house batteries? Don't misread me, I do keep 1 gallon container of distilled water, and I use to check the water level periodically. But I have always incorrectly added water and made a mess underneath on concrete with where some acid corrosion washed off the batteries. I am 95% sure I overfilled the water as well. But no more; as I have simply stopped checking the water level How soon can I reasonably expect these batteries to die? At current rate; they may last 4 or 5 years; which is nerving to just think about.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:18 AM   #17

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Last time I bought a really good high quality battery was about 11 year ago. I hit a curb with the right front tire in my SUV that somehow disabled the gas (something to do with Safety); but apparently there were a few loads still activated because during the repair by a Lincoln dealer they said the battery was toast. It was $225 to get a Ford Motocraft OEM

Since then I have always used Wal Mart's EverStart batteries whenever the OEM battery would fail. I used to try to keep the wal mart battery receipt for each car, but it was NEVER necessary. I just know that wherever I am at, I can always go to Wal Mart and get a new battery for about $75.

In fact, my hope is that by the time I finally do kill off my existing 3 year old RV OEM Flood batteries, that Wal Mart may have the replacement 31 Group AGMs that I want at the stores; so I don't have to pay $135 to Batteries Plus for the same thing.

Beside not adding water to the flood batteries, does anyone know of another way to help accelerate the slow death of two 3 year OEM supplied flood house batteries? Don't misread me, I do keep 1 gallon container of distilled water, and I use to check the water level periodically. But I have incorrectly always added water and made a mess underneath on concrete with where some acid corrosion washed off the batteries. I am 95% sure I overfilled the water as well. But no more; as I have simply stopped checking the water level How soon can I reasonably expect these batteries to die? At current rate; they may last 4 or 5 years; which is nerving to just think about.

Nothing will kill them faster than a few deep discharges. Especially if you delay recharging them. Use a Flow-Rite watering system and you can’t overfill them or spill and it only takes a minute with no need to remove the caps. I’m very happy using two flooded 12V Batteries Plus specials ($160 for the pair) and plan to replace them at my convenience about every 3 or 4 years.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:53 AM   #18

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Changing to Trojan T105 AGM was the best thing I have done to the Tuscany

Well worth the 1000 bucks and then some
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21793 View Post
Advice?
Thanks, Jim
Old 01-24-2021, 03:13 AM   #19

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Changing to Trojan T105 AGM was the best thing I have done to the Tuscany

Well worth the 1000 bucks and then some
Why(

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:37 AM   #20

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnomads1974 View Post
IMO It's a lot of money just to avoid checking the water level. I spent $60 ($30x2) for these and they make monitoring and adding water to the batteries a piece of cake. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 A heck of lot cheaper than 4 AGM batteries.
AGM's are Far superior to reg Lead acid batteries in EVERY WAY but Price. So its not just about the water level. They change quicker, Discharge slower, last longer, stronger, more forgiving of abuse, etc.

I will only use AGM in ALL of my vehicles (until Lithium prices come down enough to make me pull the trigger).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote