Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2021, 11:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta (Sprinter)
State: Florida
THOR #21707
Wire/Fuse Advice For Custom Auxiliary Horn

I am in the process of installing a custom auxiliary horn, similar to the one shown in . First off, this will just function as a novelty horn, not to be used while the rig is on the road.

I did a test run with all components today, and it all seemed to work well. There was a bit of smoke when I miswired the push button to be in the normally closed position, not sure if a wire shorted somewhere (in my mess of alligator test leads) or perhaps the wires I was testing with were insufficiently sized. It didn't happen again after I corrected the button wiring to be normally open.

I did however want to get some advice for determining appropriately gauged wiring and fuse before the final installation. I know the fuse needs to be sized to protect the wiring, and the amount of amps should dictate the wire size. However, I am having a hard time calculating the total amperage. This may sound silly, but do I just add all the components up? Does a speaker pull amperes in addition to those pulled by the 100 watt amplifier? Is the amp rating of the button too small for this application? The attached image shows a simplified version of my planned wiring.

Edit: My primary concern regarding the wire gauge is the amperage rating; I know that I will also have to contend with voltage drop, but am trying to wrap my head around the safety aspect first.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

Parts list:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aux_Horn_Simplified.png
Views:	36
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	29597  

Tags
custom, electrical, horn