Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
AIMS 1200 watt pure sine inverter

It seems like a lot of fellow RVers have installed the AIMS 1200 watt pure sine inverter. Before I pull the trigger just thought I would ask how everyone has liked theirs.

Also, is it big enough, or would you get a larger one?

We have two AGM 12v 92 ah in our VEGAS at the moment, just looking at running the RV refrigerator on AC while driving (leaving gas off) and being able to use a TV or laptop without firing up the generator while camped (wr would run the refrigerator on gas while camped)

Just thought I would get some of your opinions.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I love mine
Great price on Amazon, runs the TV's, DVD, laptop computer when needed
No reason why a larger inverter is needed

I installed mine just like the Axis/Vegas example on Utube

Old 01-14-2019, 03:46 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
I use mine for the same reasons you do. Works great. Just remember to shut it off when your done camping or when its not being used. Does not use battery power that way.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:50 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I love mine as well. Im running two 6 volt 220 amh AGM's in my Axis.

This youtube video above is the whole reason I with with this Aims inverter!!

I orginally was going to go with a small inverter (around 600 - 800 watt) and install in the cabinet above the sink so I could plug in the one TV and also my lap top / phones.

But the more I thought about it the more I liked this Aims wired in directly to the recepticals.

The Aims was a much cleaner install (Under the bed - hidden and not taking up valuable space), I can run both inside tv's plus like 4 outlets, no extention cord wires coming out of the cabinet to charge laptop (Like my other configuration would have had), plus it was cheaper than the smaller inverters I was looking at, and has a build in auto transfer switch - the list goes on.

It has been MORE than enough power for me. I dont use the microwave that much and I have NOT tried to hook it up to see if it would work.

I been using Gas on my frig. mostly but I might switch to inverter power only to see how it works in the spring. I want to install up my 12v battery gauge (next to the OEM Thor monitors) so I can watch the 12 v levels. But if your engine is running it should supply more than enough juice so your not draining them while driving down the road.

The surprising bonus for me was the frig receiptial is on the same curcuit as the rest of the non GFI outlets .... so I have a 3 way fridge now (without any additional wiring)! Just have to make sure you turn on the inverter to make it work - even if on gas only.

I also installed the remote switch at the entrance way. It has the one LED light that tells you what is going on and if an errors.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #5

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I love mine as well. Im running two 6 volt 220 amh AGM's in my Axis.

This youtube video above is the whole reason I with with this Aims inverter!!

I orginally was going to go with a small inverter (around 600 - 800 watt) and install in the cabinet above the sink so I could plug in the one TV and also my lap top / phones.

But the more I thought about it the more I liked this Aims wired in directly to the recepticals.

The Aims was a much cleaner install (Under the bed - hidden and not taking up valuable space), I can run both inside tv's plus like 4 outlets, no extention cord wires coming out of the cabinet to charge laptop (Like my other configuration would have had), plus it was cheaper than the smaller inverters I was looking at, and has a build in auto transfer switch - the list goes on.

It has been MORE than enough power for me. I dont use the microwave that much and I have NOT tried to hook it up to see if it would work.

I been using Gas on my frig. mostly but I might switch to inverter power only to see how it works in the spring. I want to install up my 12v battery gauge (next to the OEM Thor monitors) so I can watch the 12 v levels. But if your engine is running it should supply more than enough juice so your not draining them while driving down the road.

The surprising bonus for me was the frig receiptial is on the same curcuit as the rest of the non GFI outlets .... so I have a 3 way fridge now (without any additional wiring)! Just have to make sure you turn on the inverter to make it work - even if on gas only.

I also installed the remote switch at the entrance way. It has the one LED light that tells you what is going on and if an errors.
Thanks for the reply..

One question, from what I am seeing all the "handy" recepticles are GFI, so I would need to put both GFI and non-GFI circuits on the transfer switch. Or am I missing something?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
or you can simple purchase an off-the-shelf power Inverter at W*mt or any auto parts store - simply either plug into your 12v outlet, or use the alligator clips directly to your House batteries... your 'things' just plug into it when you are off-grid and want to make use of your battery power for TV and other 'stuff'...

I would just run the fridge on propane while driving - it's designed for that.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:34 PM   #7

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Thanks for the reply..

One question, from what I am seeing all the "handy" recepticles are GFI, so I would need to put both GFI and non-GFI circuits on the transfer switch. Or am I missing something?
Your missing the other outlets.

Both inside TV's and the receptials next to the TV (used for like a DVD players) are on the NON GFI. You should have one receiptal under the dinette (if you have one) that is NON GFI.

I added another outlet under my dinnette that is easier to get to plus has built it USB ports. You could do the same - very easy.

My frig is on the NON GFI line.

The one next to the bed might work (I forget).

I would NOT add all outlets to this inverter. Too much for the auto transfer switch? Plus not needed IMO.

What I did was plug into shore power and trip the GFI break off.... now see what still works (or do the opposite and see what DONT work). That will give you an idea what to expect.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 01-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #8

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
or you can simple purchase an off-the-shelf power Inverter at W*mt or any auto parts store - simply either plug into your 12v outlet, or use the alligator clips directly to your House batteries... your 'things' just plug into it when you are off-grid and want to make use of your battery power for TV and other 'stuff'...

I would just run the fridge on propane while driving - it's designed for that.
Yep, many of us only need the inverter for one TV and to charge our phones/ computers. So you could get a small inverter like Turnerfam said.

It all depends on how your going to use your RV while parked. Do you need BOTH inside TV's on inverter power. Will you be plugging in other stuff like coffee maker, DVD player, Thermo-nuclear devices?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #9

THOR #4687
Quote:

Both inside TV's and the receptials next to the TV (used for like a DVD players) are on the NON GFI. You should have one receiptal under the dinette (if you have one) that is NON GFI.

I added another outlet under my dinnette that is easier to get to plus has built it USB ports. You could do the same - very easy.

I would NOT add all outlets to this inverter. Too much for the auto transfer switch? Plus not needed IMO.

What I did was plug into shore power and trip the GFI break off.... now see what still works (or do the opposite and see what DONT work). That will give you an idea what to expect.
Good idea on tripping the GFI to test!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:28 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
The Aims and Magnum and other brands of large box Inverters, some with battery chargers, are more for wiring directly into your electrical Main panel and breakers - which take some doing, even though it's certainly fantastic once you have it - but for a little 120v needs for a TV and a few items, for just 'every now and then' off-grid overnights, a small Power Inverter is really just a great simple way to accomplish the same thing - a lot less expensive and easier to manage, too.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
It seems like a lot of fellow RVers have installed the AIMS 1200 watt pure sine inverter. Before I pull the trigger just thought I would ask how everyone has liked theirs.
Just thought I would get some of your opinions.
I have lived with add on inverters for 5 years. They do tend to have a horrible track record failing at the most inopportune time. True all were repaired under warranty. After the 7 failure of three different brands, I spent the big buck for a Xantrex. It was still working when I sold the coach. For my dear wife, I have to make electrical things as simple as possible, so I would recommend an inverter with 30 or 60 amp automatic transfer switch. That way the entire coach's 120 volt receptacles can be powered by any of the three power sources. This does require a 120 volt sub-panel. Your battery bank should determine the size of your inverter. About 250 amp-hrs of batteries per 1,000 inverter watts seems to work well.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:25 AM   #12

THOR #13362
Quote:
Thanks for the reply..

With your 25.2, you probably have NON-gfi outlets at the following locations that are handy:
- above your sofa or dinette
- above your bed
- above your sink in the cabinet for DVR (you can always run a pig-tail from there to a convenient location in the kitchen)
- above or next to your bedroom TV in the cabinet for DVR
- plus, the two inside TVs are plugged into NON-gfi (as previously mentioned)

Your outside TV is plugged into a gfi outlet that’s (probably) located on the wall behind the drawers under the sink.
If you want your outside TV to work on inverter, you’ll need to add a non-gfi outlet under the sink for it to plug into (a fairly simple add-on)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:33 AM   #13

THOR #4687
Quote:

One question, do you have to have the inverter "on" for the transfer switch to "work" and pass 120v from Generator or Shore?

Also, thanks for the insite on looking for non-GFI outlets. Was not aware that the two by the bed were non-GFI
Old 01-15-2019, 04:29 AM   #14

THOR #13362
Quote:
One question, do you have to have the inverter "on" for the transfer switch to "work" and pass 120v from Generator or Shore?

Also, thanks for the insite on looking for non-GFI outlets. Was not aware that the two by the bed were non-GFI
Yes, Inverter must be in the ON position for transfer switch to operate

But remember...the inverter isn’t actually running once the transfer switch senses 110 volts from shore power. It only acts as a conduit

Inverter automatically runs to provide 1200 watts of AC power only when it no longer senses 110 volt source from your shore power
Old 01-15-2019, 04:50 AM   #15

THOR #12231
TaylorB is correct.

Installing a remote switch next to your entrance way will make you life easier.

The Aims remote switch is a simple one button/one led light switch but it works fine.

Off = no light on (outlets wont work).
On = Yellow LED is bypassing the inverter (this is when the Genny is on
or hooked up to shore power so all the outlets work as normal).
On = Green LED is using inverter power only (no shore or Genny on).
Fault = RED LED is a problem light - never seen this one - I hope I dont.

FYI: Auto Transfer switch works so quickly I can have the TV on while hooked up to shore or Genny (light yellow is on), unhook one or the other and the TV never even flickers (and LED Light turns green).

I also have the Aims switch were I can see it from the drivers seat (looking over my shoulder) so I can tell if I left the inverter on (or off) for whatever reason.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #16

THOR #4687
Quote:
TaylorB is correct.

Installing a remote switch next to your entrance way will make you life easier.

The Aims remote switch is a simple one button/one led light switch but it works fine.

Off = no light on (outlets wont work).
On = Yellow LED is bypassing the inverter (this is when the Genny is on
or hooked up to shore power so all the outlets work as normal).
On = Green LED is using inverter power only (no shore or Genny on).
Fault = RED LED is a problem light - never seen this one - I hope I dont.

FYI: Auto Transfer switch works so quickly I can have the TV on while hooked up to shore or Genny (light yellow is on), unhook one or the other and the TV never even flickers (and LED Light turns green).

I also have the Aims switch were I can see it from the drivers seat (looking over my shoulder) so I can tell if I left the inverter on (or off) for whatever reason.
Thanks to you and TaylorB for your help! I was considering an external transfer switch (so I could "turn off" inverter and still have external AC power) however, with your explanation I am thinking of just using the AIMS inverter, remote, and transfer switch as intended..

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #17

THOR #12231
Quote:
Thanks to you and TaylorB for your help! I was considering an external transfer switch (so I could "turn off" inverter and still have external AC power) however, with your explanation I am thinking of just using the AIMS inverter, remote, and transfer switch as intended..

Thanks!
Wise choice IMO. You will really like it.... best bang for the buck too.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #18

THOR #4687
Don't know if I like the reference of "bang" for something electrical, but thanks for all your help!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #19

THOR #12231
How about "spark" or "sizzle"? LOL

That better then "Snap, Crackle Pop" right? LOL
Old 01-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #20

Model: Citation Sprinter 24sa
State: Florida
THOR #13813
Is 1200 W enough to run the convection microwave for a short period of time? I have two 100 ah lead acid batteries . I love the idea of the built-in transfer switch seems to uncomplicate the whole system.

Tags
1200, inverters