Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2021, 03:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Nebraska
THOR #22671
Air Conditioner Air Flow Increase

I installed/upgraded my Coleman Mach air conditioner with the RV Airflow Systems insert. I didn't think the air conditioner was cooling as well as it should. I just recently got back from a trip to Florida after the install and WOW what a difference, I had a 25% increase in air flow from the install. What a great addition to my RV. The RV cools rapidly now from having an air conditioner that forces the air into the ductwork. I have a 2018 Freedom Elite 26HE. Installation of the RV Air Flow System has made my RV much more comfortable on those hot days.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Yes; this has been discussed here before:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...-12980-14.html

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...e-22547-4.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum, and I'm glad that your a/c unit is keeping you as cool as the "underside of the pillow"!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocc View Post
I installed/upgraded my Coleman Mach air conditioner with the RV Airflow Systems insert. I didn't think the air conditioner was cooling as well as it should. I just recently got back from a trip to Florida after the install and WOW what a difference, I had a 25% increase in air flow from the install. What a great addition to my RV. The RV cools rapidly now from having an air conditioner that forces the air into the ductwork. I have a 2018 Freedom Elite 26HE. Installation of the RV Air Flow System has made my RV much more comfortable on those hot days.
I have been considering adding this to one of my two A/C units. I had my coach at the Thor Factory Service Center for some warranty work last fall and they took it upon themselves to make some mods to increase airflow even though I did not have the A/C's on my list.

Thor made a definite improvement to the airflow but I'm still trying to decide if it would be worth adding this mod. If I do it I am considering doing it to the front A/C in hopes that it increases the flow enough that at night I would not have to run the bedroom A/C to keep noise down at night.

Questions for you.....

1) Did you notice the A/C noise dropping at all since the flow was only coming out the vents and not the louvers on the unit itself?

2) Did the coach cool off just as quickly without any flow out of the louvers to "dump" cold air directly out of the unit.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #5

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
I put this in my axis about 10% noise reduction but cooling is 50% better. Be sure to check the ends of your ducts are stopped up so that air will be forced through the vent. I also clean my ac coils once a year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have been considering adding this to one of my two A/C units. I had my coach at the Thor Factory Service Center for some warranty work last fall and they took it upon themselves to make some mods to increase airflow even though I did not have the A/C's on my list.

Thor made a definite improvement to the airflow but I'm still trying to decide if it would be worth adding this mod. If I do it I am considering doing it to the front A/C in hopes that it increases the flow enough that at night I would not have to run the bedroom A/C to keep noise down at night.

Questions for you.....

1) Did you notice the A/C noise dropping at all since the flow was only coming out the vents and not the louvers on the unit itself?

2) Did the coach cool off just as quickly without any flow out of the louvers to "dump" cold air directly out of the unit.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-19-2021, 07:36 PM   #6

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Be sure to check the ends of your ducts are stopped up so that air will be forced through the vent.
Thor already took care of the ends of the ducts for me. I also had already insulated the outside of both units, cut the styrofaom in the vents to smooth out the flow and sealed up the devider in the plenum.

What I am really wondering is.....

If you close the vents at the louvers on the unit itself to force all the air through the duct work, will this mod still improve air flow that much more?
Old 04-19-2021, 08:26 PM   #7

THOR #22671
I can say that the air flow is more concentrated at each vent. The air flow volume at each vent was increased. Once the system is installed the dump vents are of no use as the RV Air Flow System directs all the air into the ductwork.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocc View Post
I can say that the air flow is more concentrated at each vent. The air flow volume at each vent was increased. Once the system is installed the dump vents are of no use as the RV Air Flow System directs all the air into the ductwork.
Well that completely defeats the purpose of adding an additional dump vent on the A/C cover modification that many of us have done for rapid cooling.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
How did you add the a/c dump vent?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:46 PM   #10

THOR #22671
Thats correct, the added "dump vent" is positioned on the return side of the AC. As mentioned earlier the RV Air Flow System directs air directly into the ducts. Prior to install the air flow was flowing around the plenum and not necessarily directed to the ducts.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I saw some folks insulate the outside unit.
Is there a vedio and where do I get the insulation material..
Lots of components under the a/c hood ..not sure where to insulate and does it really help?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:12 AM   #12

Model: compass 23tw
State: Texas
THOR #19878
Is the ducting mod independent of the outsie unit?
Reason I ask is that I have a loaner ac unit, waiting for Thor to get the HVAC units in to replace my bad HVAC.

Cheers
Old 04-20-2021, 02:59 AM   #13

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well that completely defeats the purpose of adding an additional dump vent on the A/C cover modification that many of us have done for rapid cooling.

Yes
I did this mod and am happy with the results
Not sure I want to lose the vents in the housing by adding the styrofoam insert
Old 04-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Thor already took care of the ends of the ducts for me. I also had already insulated the outside of both units, cut the styrofaom in the vents to smooth out the flow and sealed up the devider in the plenum.

What I am really wondering is.....

If you close the vents at the louvers on the unit itself to force all the air through the duct work, will this mod still improve air flow that much more?
It increased my air flow. But be careful when ordering. I have Coleman Mach 3. The install problem came with the depth of the plenum. The airflow styrofoam was too thick. The owner actually called me on Sunday. Seems I have a “shallow” plenum. So they dont make one for mine. I had to reengineer it with a hacksaw blade and knife. Once I gotir n there, the air flow out the ducts improved. Even though the dump vents no longer work. But my real test will be in August when we’re scheduled to travel through several SC state parks in 95 degree high humidity temps.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #15

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

Questions for you.....

Thanks in advance!
What mod did Thor factory do?
Old 04-24-2021, 09:20 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Tennessee
THOR #18316
I took the DIY route using 1” foam project board to direct the flow into the plenums. I did my own cut and fit for better transition angles than shown on YouTube. It’s like an arts and crafts project. It definitely improves flow from the vents but doubt it beats the total flow of an added direct dump vent. I’d bet it’s a lot quieter though. It’s gotta be the best $5 I’ve spent on my coach.
reminckv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by reminckv View Post
I took the DIY route using 1” foam project board to direct the flow into the plenums. I did my own cut and fit for better transition angles than shown on YouTube. It’s like an arts and crafts project. It definitely improves flow from the vents but doubt it beats the total flow of an added direct dump vent. I’d bet it’s a lot quieter though. It’s gotta be the best $5 I’ve spent on my coach.
Did you take any pics of the process?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:56 PM   #18

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
here's the you tube of the economy method to completely close off vents in the unit housing in favor of directing all AC air flow to the in-ceiling vents.

disclaimer: i'm not interested in doing this mod

Old 04-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Tennessee
THOR #18316
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Did you take any pics of the process?
I used the video that taylorbob1 linked. The major change I made was to go from a 90 degree angle to larger angle that moved the “tent” legs out to the plenum openings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210227_161233.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	30036  
Old 04-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #20

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I saw some folks insulate the outside unit.
Is there a vedio and where do I get the insulation material..
Lots of components under the a/c hood ..not sure where to insulate and does it really help?
There are several posts on this mod.

I used this Frost King self-adhesive insulation over the outside of the evaporator.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/E-O-12-i...V516/100028603

I also used foam pipe insulation over the cold-side plumbing from the compressor.