Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2016, 01:49 AM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Experiments with TV

Starting another media thread; LOL.

Instead of using an Apple TV (I do have a couple, but they have the limitation that you can't go to the secondary website when connecting to WiFi limiting their usefulness with campground's WiFi) I've been kind of looking for another solution. I've often thought about picking up a "camper PC" (even a very small one like the Intel NUCs) but those are still kind of pricey and I'm sure the spouse will protest us getting another computer LOL.

Then I stumbled on Android TV and one of these guys. I figured for $35 what the heck (more functionality than a Chromecast for a similar price).

I've played with it for a bit after it arrived today: Very fast (more responsive than Apple TV), includes Chrome, includes the Google Play store (can install 3rd party apps), can play a lot of different media items, has several ways to get media into it (via the network, SD card, USB ports for external drives, etc.). Not bad for $35.

Next up: How to connect both my son's PS4 and this in the RV: Found this guy (it arrives Tuesday) looks very promising, includes PIP! Not exactly an HDMI matrix switcher (which would have multiple outputs, but I don't really need a matrix switch).

Of course none of this addresses lousy campground WiFi, but it does appear to be an inexpensive way to play media.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:58 AM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
My experience with the andriod TV box is that it does not like weak wifi and/or slow internet connections especially if you stream stuff via Kodi. The Amazon Firestick is much more forgiving and we keep one in our RV.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms
My experience with the andriod TV box is that it does not like weak wifi and/or slow internet connections especially if you stream stuff via Kodi.
I can see that: The design, much like Apple TV, is setup to be connected to a TV at home where, presumably, you'd have fast internet and good WiFi.

Improving internet access is the other part of the problem and there are already a few threads on that on the forums here.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I upped my data plan on my cell service and plan on using my cellphone as a hotspot with my Apple TV WiFi connected to my iPhone as a hotspot.