Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
Air Conditioner Quieting

This is supposed to reduce A.C. noise on Dometic and Coleman A.C.s. Anyone have any experience with this?
https://wackoproducts.com/
• Noise reduction
• Better filtration system
• Increase air flow
• Sleek design
• Easy to clean

Old 01-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Looks like snake oil to me:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Yep...I haven't had issues with noise. On those 100 degree days down South, the little noise they make is sweet music to my ears.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Never heard of it but I can see how it might help. Stock is bare plastic and open on both sides to passing both compressor and fan noise. If this thing is insulated it might block some of the mechanical noise. I’m not going to try it but I’d like to hear from someone who has actually seen and tried it with a sound pressure meter
Old 01-29-2019, 10:52 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I have see this before and read some purchaser reviews because I was interested in it for my Axis.

Everyone seems to like it and it does help some but im sure it wont be as quiet as I would like - Esp for the price. So I might make one from scratch this spring and post it here.

Another member posted something like this last summer but he made his own and he claimed it helped quiet a bit. I have also seen some folks make a cover where its the hot air return only and all of the conditioned air comes out of the ceiling vents. With some sort of insulation it should help but you would loose your cold air dumps that are on you AC cover now.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #6

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladinwj View Post
This is supposed to reduce A.C. noise on Dometic and Coleman A.C.s. Anyone have any experience with this?
https://wackoproducts.com/
• Noise reduction
• Better filtration system
• Increase air flow
• Sleek design
• Easy to clean
Just looked at the website for this product, and the available YouTube videos...
looks intriguing, but there is no data posted to substantiate the claim of 8-10 decibel noise reduction. If I understand this correctly, by using this device you would lose the cold air coming from the AC unit itself (they actually recommend covering the output duct on the unit with metallic tape), and cold air would flow only through the remaining ducts throughout the coach. Does this increase or decrease the efficiency of the unit? Also, my Dometic AC incorporates a heat pump as well...wondering if this product is compatible with the heat pump.

Sure would like to reduce the noise of our AC, which is positioned right over the bed. On hot nights, have to use earplugs to get to sleep!
Old 02-04-2019, 01:15 AM   #7

THOR #7036
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
Just looked at the website for this product, and the available YouTube videos...
looks intriguing, but there is no data posted to substantiate the claim of 8-10 decibel noise reduction. If I understand this correctly, by using this device you would lose the cold air coming from the AC unit itself (they actually recommend covering the output duct on the unit with metallic tape), and cold air would flow only through the remaining ducts throughout the coach. Does this increase or decrease the efficiency of the unit? Also, my Dometic AC incorporates a heat pump as well...wondering if this product is compatible with the heat pump.

Sure would like to reduce the noise of our AC, which is positioned right over the bed. On hot nights, have to use earplugs to get to sleep!
It would not matter that the unit is a heat pump. As a heat pump your unit reverses the air conditioning function. If it works for cooling, it would work exactly the same for heating.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:34 AM   #8

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladinwj View Post
It would not matter that the unit is a heat pump. As a heat pump your unit reverses the air conditioning function. If it works for cooling, it would work exactly the same for heating.
Thanks Gladinw!
Old 02-04-2019, 01:51 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
And yet we run our AC fan everynight, even when the heat is on, for the white noise effect.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Did you see what these things cost?!
Old 02-05-2019, 03:29 AM   #11

THOR #7036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Did you see what these things cost?!
An arm and a leg, so that's why the inquiry about anyone's experience.
Old 07-30-2023, 08:27 PM   #12

Model: 2022 Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #27889
Installed the WackOProducts AC silencer today

Installed a DA100 today on the front Dometic AC unit in our 2022 Thor Four Winds 31W class-c.

Pricy but I’m pleased with the product quality plus resulting ~5dB drop in SPL from the AC unit.

For reference, our AC units are Dometic Brisk II Evolution, 11K BTU, Dometic P/N B59530E701J0EMX

I'm going to try and link pics here showing before and after sound level measurements plus others pics I took today.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aJa...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FVC...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fsu...ew?usp=sharing

FYI: If you are a First Responder family, ask for the discount code before ordering.

Also, I found these DYI (and very cost effective) AC airflow improvement kits worked great as well: https://www.ebay.com/usr/dacostadesi...75.m3561.l2559

Chris