Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl
Jamie, The rig does look good. I have to make a general comment about the front cap on the Axis. Ours has been parked outside for a year and a half and it is now heavily oxidized. We paid for the PermaPlate warranty coverage and have had someone out to buff it out and wax with no good results. Now PermaPlate is offering to have the entire front cap painted. I am considering purchasing a metal roof carport for it after we get this done. By the by, I saw a "new" 2016 at the last RV show in Pomona, CA and noticed that the front cap was also completely oxidized.
Yeah been pondering what to do about the top front there. The rest of the front looks pretty decent; just the top.

Thought about just getting the top part painted white to match the rubber roof part. Would want to find some good UV resistant paint though.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Going back to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs
What made you choose RejeX over 303?

Can you use 303 on a coach after a wash?
Honestly I had no idea you could use 303 on gelcoat (yeah yeah RTFM!). Thanks rvfigs for the suggestion!

Having some time this morning I stopped by the Axis with my trusty bottle of miracle 303:

For comparison:

Note that the affect is only temporary, however, once the 303 soaks in/dries/evaporates/etc. the look slowly returns. It did take longer and longer, however, to return to the patchy look the more 303 I put on (until I figured I had it thoroughly soaked). Thus to all you Axis/Vegas owners while you're up there 303'ing your hatches, skylights, A/C, etc. (you are doing this on a regular basis right? right?) don't forget to 303 the front cap as well.

I'm not really concerned about the look; I just want to extend the life of the unit thus putting 303 on there 2 or 3 times a year to prevent it from deteriorating any further is probably a small price to pay.

Thus until I start taking pictures with a drone (this one has been calling to my credit card since I found out about it) not to concerned with appearances somewhere nobody looks at.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well after 4+ hours and a bottle of Rejex (Amazon) my arms are ready to fall off but the Axis looks good:

Almost looks brand new if you don't look too closely. There are some spots on the front where its starting to oxidize, and definitely don't go on the roof:

Tried to cover that good with Rejex, may have to put more up there. Thought about dousing it all with 303 but I don't think that would help. For those of you with new Axis/Vegas units: Wax the crap out of the top (or keep the unit stored indoors, covered, etc.).

May put a 2nd code on that at some point.

Got a 7am start so I wouldn't be working in direct sunlight as its supposed to get mighty warm here today (and the next few days).
Saw your post and how nice your MH looks! my Rejex arrived yesterday. Looks like a week of good weather for me this week, I could use the workout.. thanks!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #24

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #5936
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Saw your post and how nice your MH looks! my Rejex arrived yesterday. Looks like a week of good weather for me this week, I could use the workout.. thanks!

Gosh Jamie, only four hours! I am going on the third day of waxing my Axis and that doesn't include the cap. And by the way my cap looks just like yours with oxidation☹️
What is 303?
Old 07-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by INKBLUE12 View Post
Gosh Jamie, only four hours! I am going on the third day of waxing my Axis and that doesn't include the cap. And by the way my cap looks just like yours with oxidation☹️
What is 303?
RejeX doesn't take a lot of effort to remove: Went on and off pretty easily.

303 UV Protectant (Amazon)
Old 07-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #26

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Recently got a quote from a local paint shop to do 2 coats of European clear coat over entire coach including the front cap. $3200 with life time warranty. Hello Rejex.
I think Rejex will do just fine. It would be nice if the factory would put at least one clear coat on these coaches or at least have the option. It would keep the oxidation from setting in so soon.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #27
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
I went to a body shop about putting on a clear coat and they told me that they would not do it because the decals would crack. They need to be flexible.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Jamie

How is your REJEX.job holding up?

Still REALLY impressed with ours. Any "black streaks" just wash off now.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Yeah been pondering what to do about the top front there. The rest of the front looks pretty decent; just the top.

Thought about just getting the top part painted white to match the rubber roof part. Would want to find some good UV resistant paint though.
Meguriar's M4916 did a good job bringing the gel coat back. I need to do another coat or two when I get back from my trip. I used Opti-Seal (www.optimumcarcare.com) to polish and seal it. Super easy. Just wipe on with applicator and wipe over to shine. Brought back the luster on the cap pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5133.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	5918  
Old 07-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Jamie

How is your REJEX.job holding up?

Still REALLY impressed with ours. Any "black streaks" just wash off now.
So far so good. I also washed the roof that day so I haven't had any black streaks to wash off.

Unfortunately, though, I haven't been able to actually go camping with it yet (our next trip in the RV is for the Eclipse) for various reasons.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
So far so good. I also washed the roof that day so I haven't had any black streaks to wash off.

Unfortunately, though, I haven't been able to actually go camping with it yet (our next trip in the RV is for the Eclipse) for various reasons.
Same here, waiting to get ours back from last minute warranty body work on the end cap.

Actually miss having the VEGAS in the driveway ;-)

Where are you headed for the eclipse?
Old 07-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #32
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Same here, waiting to get ours back from last minute warranty body work on the end cap.

Actually miss having the VEGAS in the driveway ;-)

Where are you headed for the eclipse?
We signed up through an Astronomy Podcast for a weekend of Astronomy stuff culminating in a bus ride on Eclipse day to (hopefully) somewhere with clear skies.
Solar Eclipse Escape 2017 | Astronomy Cast
Old 07-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #33

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Finish Warranty

Hello Jamie,
Just wanted to post the update on my claim with PermaPlate for the oxidation of the front cap. They have agreed to pay to have the entire front cap painted. I will be having it done by a company in Chino, CA that specializes in painting RVs. Probably have it done next month some time.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #34
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Hello Jamie,
Just wanted to post the update on my claim with PermaPlate for the oxidation of the front cap. They have agreed to pay to have the entire front cap painted. I will be having it done by a company in Chino, CA that specializes in painting RVs. Probably have it done next month some time.
That's great. Wonder how it will turn out and what color paint will they use? Will they try to match it or use white?