Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2020, 12:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsor 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #17511
Another newbee

My wife and I purchased a 2017 Vegas 24.1. I am more than a little concerned about not having a spare wheel and tire. Does anyone have any ideas on how to carry the spare under the coach?

Old 02-14-2020, 02:19 AM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I used a Coach net road service policy.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:27 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard, nice rig.
You will here lot’s of different thoughts on spare tire yes or no.
My feeling at this point in my life I’m not going to change a tire anyway. I have roadside assistance and road hazard insurance. I’m retired so waiting on tire repair/replace is not an issue.
I believe the mfgrs have gone away from spare tires and wheels for a couple reasons 1) cost to meet price point of coach and IMO 2),weight.
Most of these coach’s aren’t giving you a whole lot of weight for occupants and gear toward the GVW so leaving out 100 lbs or so for a spare makes sense.
Enjoy the journey
Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:28 AM   #4

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
My geico covers mine. I couldn’t change it anyway
Old 02-14-2020, 03:13 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Welcome to our group from South Texas
Old 02-14-2020, 04:23 AM   #6

THOR #17511
Thank you Mark. With roadside , can they repair a flat on the side of the road? I was thinking they would just put on the spare. I couldn't change it myself!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Welcome aboard, nice rig.
You will here lot’s of different thoughts on spare tire yes or no.
My feeling at this point in my life I’m not going to change a tire anyway. I have roadside assistance and road hazard insurance. I’m retired so waiting on tire repair/replace is not an issue.
I believe the mfgrs have gone away from spare tires and wheels for a couple reasons 1) cost to meet price point of coach and IMO 2),weight.
Most of these coach’s aren’t giving you a whole lot of weight for occupants and gear toward the GVW so leaving out 100 lbs or so for a spare makes sense.
Enjoy the journey
Mark
Old 02-14-2020, 04:24 AM   #7

THOR #17511
Thank you South Texas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
Welcome to our group from South Texas
Old 02-16-2020, 03:47 AM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I paid 80 bucks for an Amazon rim and another 65 for a tire.
It slips right into the rear left basement door, the one over the generator. It holds hoses and extensions cord nicely in the tire rim.
That'll do you for now.
My hitch mount spare rack was 54 bucks on amazon.

It's a pain in the neck to mount one under the rig or I'd have done it.
A factory Ford spare mount underslung winch is only about 25 bucks on ebay.

Take a look through the link in my signature.
I think there's a picture of the spare in the basement somewhere on the last page of that thread.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:57 AM   #9

THOR #17511
Thanks for the info Duckface. I will check those out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I paid 80 bucks for an Amazon rim and another 65 for a tire.
It slips right into the rear left basement door, the one over the generator. It holds hoses and extensions cord nicely in the tire rim.
That'll do you for now.
My hitch mount spare rack was 54 bucks on amazon.

It's a pain in the neck to mount one under the rig or I'd have done it.
A factory Ford spare mount underslung winch is only about 25 bucks on ebay.

Take a look through the link in my signature.
I think there's a picture of the spare in the basement somewhere on the last page of that thread.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #10

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #17484
I owned a Vegas 25.5 with 16 inch wheels and decided I needed to carry a spare in case of tire damage in remote back country. I wanted to mount an RV spare as well as a spare for my dinghy car trailer on the RV bumper. Although the stock rear bumper is strong, the mounts are only 3/16ths steel plate so I removed the bumper and added 1/4 inch steel welded at the two points of attachment. The four factory bolts that hold the bumper to the frame were only 1/2 inch diameter even though the holes are 5/8 inch. I bought 5/8 inch, Grade 8 replacement bolts and put it all together. The rear bumper is strong and handles both spares with no flex from the extra load. I bought two standard spare tire mounts but had to add angle iron to each to be confident they would hold up. Worked fine. Be sure to learn how to safely jack your rig and PRACTICE changing at home with ideal conditions; don't let your first attempt come on the road!
Old 02-19-2020, 07:55 PM   #11

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by emallett1 View Post
My wife and I purchased a 2017 Vegas 24.1. I am more than a little concerned about not having a spare wheel and tire. Does anyone have any ideas on how to carry the spare under the coach?
It would be tough especially jacking it up and replacing a good sized tire. And remember, our RV tires usually don't wear out the tread but go bad from lack of use etc which would be the case under your coach. Get some good roadside assistance insurance that will do it for you...maybe Good Sam as an example.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:00 PM   #12

State: Oklahoma
THOR #12540
Spare tire

I have a 2015 Thor Chateau 31W and just last week experienced an inside rear dual blowout, my coach has a full size spare underneath the coach but it’s the original so I was pretty sure it was not going to be a good idea to use it. I have Good Sam roadside Insurace so I called them and the connected me to their tire people who inturn found me a new replacement tire, not my brand I like but it got me back on the road. They came out to where I was which was in a very bad place to repair tire but the roadside tire guy blocked off the lane with his truck with flashing lights and closed lane wit reflective cones. If I was you I would figure out how to carry a good tire, had I had had a good spare Good Sam would have changed it for free but since I didn’t I had to pay $161.00 for the tire and $155.00 for roadside dismount and mounting of new tire. So definitely if you have a spare that’s a good deal. When I arrived at my destination I took a day to drive my coach to Discount Tires and replaced all 6 tires with Michelin’s and made the tire I paid for on the road my spare so it all worked out. Good luck
Old 02-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:

I bought a spare tire and rim for about $180 and just put it in the rear storage compartment on the drivers side. Some have fitted theirs behind the hitch on the underside but mine would not fit in that space. I did buy a spare tire hitch mount that goes into the hitch just in case i ever needed the storage space. But 3 years an 22,000 miles and Ive never used the hitch carrier. We travel a lot in Canada and out west. Ive learned from many of the road service companies that if you don't have a spare on a rim they wont even come out. Remember, if you can get to a tire place no big deal. But all of the outfits that sell road service use the same road service network and if you are not near a large metropolitan area it still going to be the local wrecker guy from Billy Bobs gas station out of Hooterville.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #14

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #17484
The issue of being prepared by carrying a spare is important as JoeDS points out above Most any service truck will be able to change a tire for you but Billy Bob in Mayberry may have to send to the big city to find one for you ... add two days to your trip.

Also, before deciding to be prepared to change a tire on the road I went to a tire service store and paid to have my tires rotated. Be sure it's a place where you can WATCH them work ... you will learn something if not already experienced.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:04 AM   #15

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Long before we left on a cross country trip from NC to California I was concerned about a flat tire miles from a Camping World or even someplace that would have the correct size and weight rating for my Windsport 29m. About June, we left in September, I bought a Road Master spare tire carrier that attaches into the receiver in the back. It's $500.00 plus. You also need to get a rim and a tire which I already had. Looks great on the back with the nice black cover I found for it. In the event of a flat, before the tire guy arrives, I have a nice new tire next to the coach waiting for him. An ounce of prevention, right! By the way, never had a flat in over 7750 miles on that trip!!!! Bob Trice
Old 02-20-2020, 01:13 AM   #16
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
I have a 27.7 and nothing fits under the coach. I purchased a hitch mount tire carrier, found a good tire for $20 and a rim for $75 and was all set for around $200. FYI, ford offers 5yrs roadside assistance on their units, not sure if it's transferable,might be worth looking into. Save paying for a service you don't need yet.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6508
Smile Roadmaster is the way to go

We have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and we went with the roadmaster hitch mount spare tire carrier. works great.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Cant resist adding this. In addition to carrying a spare I also have a 12 ton bottle jack, a 2 foot breaker bar, and solid heavy duty chocks in case I have to change the tire myself. I just cant stand not being prepared. I may be 75 but if I cant handle it I'll find someone to help who can! Too many years in the Boy Scouts then the navy to not "be prepared"
Old 02-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Alabama
THOR #7973
Spare Tire and Carrier

I bought a 2007-2019 Ford E350 SD 16 inch 8 lug steel rim for R16 Tire on Amazon. I also bought Roadmaster 195225 Spare Tire Carrier from Etrailer, but Amazon has too. I bought a tire and had mounted at my local tire dealer. Amazon also has nice covers also. I have just in case I need. I have roadside assistance, but I was afraid that I may be in a location that may take a long time for service. The carrier is designed so that it mounts on trailer hitch and has easy access that let's down with a lever.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #20

Model: 24.1 Axis
State: Minnesota
THOR #15131
Deadeyedick

I fabricated a tilting spare tire rack from tubing and inserted it into the hitch receiver. I also use the rack as a hitch extension so that I can tow my boat. I chose not to weld the tubing together but instead drilled holes and bolted everything together with grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts. It looks and works great. I don't necessarily think that I will be able to change a tire but at least I have one in case it is needed in the back country. I've been stuck in Canada 125 miles from the nearest mechanical help. The steel, used spare rim, tire, paint, and tire cover cost under $500.