Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2020, 12:53 AM   #1
mmp

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 26DB
State: Georgia
THOR #18195
Another spare tire mount question

I tried searching but didn't find the answer. I am looking at adding a spare tire to my Class C RV since it did not come with one. I saw where many people recommended the Roadmaster hitch carrier but it is quite pricey. I was wondering why I haven't seen anyone with bumper mounted ones like you find on travel trailers. My RV has the 4inch steel square bumper which is mounter to the frame. I have found some tire mounts that accommodate 8 lug tires. Is there any reason this wouldn't work on Class C? Below is a link to a tire carrier on eTrailer. I tried posting a picture of my bumper but it doesn't seem to be working.

https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-...lson/TR-1.html

Old 03-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #2

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I negotiated a spare tire and mount with the dealer when I purchased my class c. The mount you show is the same one they installed. No problems after 32K miles of travel.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #3

State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I bought a Curt 31006 hitch mounted tire carrier, a tire cover , hitch stabilizer and lighted license plate holder on Amazon and total cost was $250. I also had the license plate relocated to the right of the tire and wired into the existing wiring. (A police officer friend told me I could be fined $100 for obstructing the plate). You will need to buy bolts to attach the tire and rim to the carrier. I actually had to use the spare as one of the valves on the inner tire failed.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #4

Model: Siesta 24SS
State: California
THOR #12698
I bought a hitch mount spare tire carrier and am using the trailer hitch. I also had to relocate the rear license plate. I bought an led rear license plate holder and wiring set up that plugs directly into the rear hitch plug. I attached the rear license plate to my rear ladder and the set up works great. I think it was less than $250.00.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:21 PM   #5

Model: 24.1 Axis
State: Minnesota
THOR #15131
If you have the 4" square tube bumper, you should be able to go to any RV dealer like Tweetys.com and buy an inexpensive tire mounting kit. My Thor Axis 24.1 doesn't have that bumper and I was forced to fabricate a hitch mounted extension that has a tire carrier on it. It folds down and is all bolted, no welds. I took 2" square tubing and 2-5/16 square tube to make the extension, but you can buy them too. Then took flat plate to fasten an upright tube to the extension and another plate mounted to that to fasten the rim to. A competent welder/fabricator could make one for you.