Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2015, 09:48 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
....cut....

In my case for example, I have driven a fair number of different light and medium duty trucks in my day, as well as a few old worn out cars and tractors. To me, my E-450 drives like a big truck. I know I need to slow down, think ahead, watch my mirrors, etc... so I'm ready for it. My wife on the other hand has had none of that sort of experience and so she has a totally different opinion about driving this thing. She is very uncomfortable with it. I suspect that she perceives that she is out of control, when really she isn't.

....cut....
Same here -- I started driving trucks at age 16. I expect motorhomes to drive like the trucks they are.

On the other hand, my experience turning a 31-ft rented Class C over to my wife on a winding mountainous interstate was very different than yours. She drove it like it was a minivan, as if she had more control than she actually did. Her lack of experience concerned me until I convinced her to slow down.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:20 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Zero, and I am very happy about that and the improved handling.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:15 AM   #23

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Zero, and I am very happy about that and the improved handling.
I was just kidding.

I believe in the positive feedback owners report regarding handling, but when it comes to blowout safety I'm not even sure how you test that. Not as it relates to average motorhomes and drivers. How many typical drivers would have so many blowouts driving the same motorhome with and without a particular device to then conclude that blowouts with the device were easier to control than without?

It's a marketing claim that sounds good, but other than one driver thinking it helped him, is there any objective test data that confirms it helps? How do we even know that it doesn't make matters worse in some cases?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #24

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Had a front driver side tire blow on our Class A a few years ago. No Safety steer gizmo. Foot off the gas, coach slowed as I pulled to the side, no loss of control. That was an I-beam front axle and the Vegas has independent front axles, so maybe not a fair comparison.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #25

THOR #2121
The last paragraph in the linked article above quoting one owner makes a strong case for their need, but statistically it means very little to me. Like Mr. Sunshine, or my own experiences, blowouts don't always lead to major scares.

I'm also a little hesitant to put a lot of faith in the technical opinions of a driver that would allow his tires to wear completely in 7,000 miles, or drive a motorhome with cords showing.

"Today I can give thanks that I had Safe T Plus installed on my last visit to Eric's RV. The right front tire blew out at 65 mph just outside of Albuquerque, NM. Other than a very loud bang and a lot of smoking rubber I had no problems bringing the coach to a safe stop on the side of the road. I was lucky both tires hadn't blown, tho I religiously checked the air pressure I was unaware that the tires had worn to the cords in the very inside of the wheel (this in only 7,000 miles). If anyone asks - does it really work, or make a difference - I'll tell them YOU BET! Thank you for steering me to Safe_T_Plus - no pun intended."
Old 12-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #26

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
What I see in that quote; is that the real source of the handling issues wasn't fixed and the Safe-T-Plus may have masked the problem. Providing a false sense of problem resolution. Seems, to me anyhow, this created a more dangerous RV for the highways vs. a testament for safety!
Old 12-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #27

THOR #2121
I also see that toe was way off specs to wear tires out in 7,000 miles. An alignment should have been done from the very start before adding fixes. I'm also guessing the shop makes more profit from adding equipment.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #28

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
jb,

We did the Safe-T-Plus this past Fall, really made a difference.

For what it is worth if you go to the Factory in Georgia and pre-order it there, they do not charge installation at the Factory. Really a great group there (see thread elsewhere this site).

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrophy View Post
Hi,

I am looking into installing Roadmaster anti-sway bars on my 2016 Thor Chateau 31L (class C) with 2016 Ford E450 chassis.

The rear anti-sway is documented well on the Roadmaster site and will be having it ordered and installed at CW.

The front is the issue. There is no 2016 E450 listed on the Roadmaster website. Also, I am not sure whether I should be installing a front ant-sway bar or a front reflex steering stabilizer or both - once they finally list something for 2016.

Looking for any opinions on what to use on the front - anti-sway bar or steering stabilizer or both.

Thank you,

--jeri
I installed (had the dealer do it) Roadmaster front and rear sway bars. Well worth the expense. This weekend I installed the reflex steering stabilizer myself since the dealer overcharged me on the sway bar install and it was much easier than I anticipated., maybe an hour or so. With all these installed my Hurricane is much, much easier to get along with. If you have questions, call Roadmaster customer service. I called them twice and they have about the best customer service I have worked with.
Good luck and safe travels.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #30

State: Massachusetts
THOR #2509
Put the safety t plus on the Vegas and it helped a lot,thinking of going with a set of
Bilsteins for my next upgrade,just think they would take some of that rolling around out! Has anyone taken this route? Thanks a.j.