Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2022, 03:42 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
I understand that one would think, "how can this be"?? I have the same thinking!

The last time we took the coach out, here I am again thinking this has got to spin around and so I'm fiddling with it...my SO shakes her head and says, you try spinning that around everytime we go out...you're going to break the steering wheel or tear the fabric. And yes, I have the wheel tilted up. I'm pretty convinced that they probably mounted the seat too close. I mean after all, this isn't rocket science.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:49 PM   #22

THOR #3923
I just got an email from one of the largest RV salvage companies, and they have a huge inventory....they don't have any seats. Some of them looked really nice and have the pop-out footrest. Not having one is just another reason to find some nice seats. When the passenger seat is spun around, your feet end up dangling in mid-air, which is not comfortable at all.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:22 PM   #23

THOR #3923
For those that don't know...Flexsteel is no longer making RV furniture.

https://www.flexsteel.com/rvmarine/p...SkuId=556-ERST
Old 07-02-2022, 04:43 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
For those that don't know...Flexsteel is no longer making RV furniture.

https://www.flexsteel.com/rvmarine/p...SkuId=556-ERST
I don't blame them from exiting the RV market, it was a no win proposition for them. They had some real quality issues and lawsuits. Search on them on this forum and you can read for days. It is why I said earlier, from this site, I was expecting all of my leather furniture to an absolute disaster. As I understood it, the issue was across all Mfgs. I have found the opposite to be true. If I was improving my chair, I would add the lumbar adjustment 1st. Foot rest #2.

Do you have a picture of an alternative chair you are looking at?

UPDATE as they exiting 2 years ago.

FLEXSTEEL ANNOUNCES EXIT FROM RV FURNITURE BUSINESS
Apr 30, 2020
Flexsteel Industries Inc. is discontinuing its long-term role as a furniture supplier to the recreational vehicle industry, the Dubuque, Iowa-based company announced today (April 29) in its third-quarter financial report.

Flexsteel, which reported net sales of $98.8 million for the third quarter compared to $111.5 million in the prior year, a decrease of 11.4%, was a relatively prominent player in the RV seating business back in 1980’s and ‘90’s when van conversions were at the peak of their popularity. When the van market subsided, Flexsteel continued as a vendor in the motorized RV market, primarily as a manufacturer of premium driver and passenger seating in the Class A segment and, to a lesser extent, in Class C’s with furniture designs including sofas and chairs for both higher end towables and motorized.

Jerry Dittmer, president and CEO of Flexsteel, stated in a the earnings report that the company remains optimistic and, going forward, it is “planning to accelerate our business transformation by pushing out the boundaries of opportunity while streamlining our operations and footprint.”

“By exiting the recreational vehicle and hospitality businesses, we will sharpen our organizational focus on growing those business platforms that strategically fit with our core competencies and have the greatest potential for long-term profitable growth,” he stated. “Within home furnishings and workspace, we are tailoring our product assortment to become more relevant to the market while simplifying our operations and improving our customers’ experience. In our e-commerce business there is significant potential to expand, and we are seeing great sequential growth and strong demand for our ready-to-assemble furniture sold primarily online.”
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:54 PM   #25

THOR #3923
No...I don't have any particular chairs in mind...ergo the reason for the post.

But check these out...Kind of interesting. You have to scroll down to see the luxury setup.

coachsupplydirect.com/rv-products/rv-class-a-captains-chairs/
Old 07-02-2022, 04:58 PM   #26

THOR #3923
Here's a video on the seats...pretty cool.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:10 PM   #27

THOR #3923
Here is another style...not from a motorhome.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/349099408607003764/
Old 07-02-2022, 06:00 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
No...I don't have any particular chairs in mind...ergo the reason for the post.

But check these out...Kind of interesting. You have to scroll down to see the luxury setup.

coachsupplydirect.com/rv-products/rv-class-a-captains-chairs/
These are nice. If I had to get a new chair today. It would the Navigator option from your link https://www.coachsupplydirect.com/rv...aptains-chair/ $2,020 just for the chair

I would get the Birch. What is not clear is whether I can get the footrest included with Captain chair. It shows as option, but I struggle to understand the difference between Captain & Passenger chairs, unless it is the side the remote controls are on?

Not sure I know what Remote Swivel and Remote Slide means?

Have you talked to them to see if they are locked in on their prices? My best guess it is at least $1,600 and maybe $300 to have someone install?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-02-2022, 06:02 PM   #29

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
ahh I said car / suv (see post #5 from OP)

I have never owned a truck and trying to think if I have ever rode in one? I know I have rode in the back bed of a pick up lots of times as a kid, but I am pretty sure all of those trucks had benches.

Nonetheless, it answers my question. I may drop by a Chevy Dealership just to see the inside of one.

I know I am in Texas and everyone has trucks, but I have always reasoned if I ever need a truck, I just go to U Haul. Some of the trucks I see are bigger than RVs.

Speaking of Junior High shop project, is it true that Thor put a swivel chair in a RV that cannot swivel 180 degrees? I got $50 bucks for you if I can find a 29M that I can't get it to turn around? Heck even the 27B Hurricanes / Windsports could swivel and they are almost 2 feet shorter with same chassis. I know for a fact that the 1st thing I have always done in any coach I liked was sit in the driver's chair, swivel, and look at the TV. It is why coaches that had TVs overhead, over doors, blocking a side window, in televator or in a angled hallway were immediately dismissed by us. So I am with OP, swiveling is a must, just surprised that it can't be done with existing chair. Worst case is set it back 1".
I can fanagle mine to swivel around. But the back bumps into the steering wheel and ends up straight up making it very useless. Feels like you’ll fall forward. We just don’t use em unless we’re eating at a rest stop during travel. The table that goes between is a joke as well. It’s in my barn to save weight. Replacing the cheap jackknife loveseat with shop4seats recliners was the best thing I’ve done. Well maybe 2nd best. Installing 2nd AC was probably #1.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:05 PM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
Here is another style...not from a motorhome.

I don't know you, but unless you are jusplainwacky , and based on what your SO has already been saying, I bet if these were installed today you would not be happy? Making custom armrests to fit would be hassle for me, they are otherwise nice. But price matters. Brand new, they may $2,000 each as well from Kia dealer. Caveat emptor on a salvage yard sight unseen.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:15 PM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I can fanagle mine to swivel around. But the back bumps into the steering wheel and ends up straight up making it very useless. Feels like you’ll fall forward. We just don’t use em unless we’re eating at a rest stop during travel. The table that goes between is a joke as well. It’s in my barn to save weight. Replacing the cheap jackknife loveseat with shop4seats recliners was the best thing I’ve done. Well maybe 2nd best. Installing 2nd AC was probably #1.
Heeding the advice of this forum was #1 best thing I have done. I was ordered by the damn duck and all to ONLY buy a coach with 50 amps & 2 ACs as much as sweating a bout the Texas heat and how I might get a 2 AC installed. I use both ACs all the time.

Did you see my picture in post #20 with seat fully reclined and slide in? I have 30' 3" long RV on F-53. I will hit Steering wheel too if I don't slide seat forward away from it as I turn.

I want footrest for driver & passenger chairs but no rush. I think footrest on a recliner would be nice too, I want to sit in my chair!!!!
Old 07-03-2022, 06:25 PM   #32

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Check for Honda Odyssey (van) rear seats. I've seen several that had arm rests on both sides. Good luck
Old 07-04-2022, 04:03 PM   #33

THOR #13058
I may have solved my footrest problem. Yesterday while watching outdoor TV with portable cooler (outside fridge was not on); ads we were on a local trip to the lake, I noticed how perfect my cooler was for a footrest. I tried inside and laid back. I will now keep that Cooler in the basement.

On the Odyssey Van rear seats. I found them on ebay for $900 brand new. Full day later seller as offered a $50 discount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17476856490...&segname=11304

I can't imagine swapping my RV seats for Honda Odyssey chairs, but if it helps the OP, here it is. It has armrest if you wish to call them that. Bigger question is the mounting and how you get to slide forward and backwards and swivel.

Good luck
Old 07-05-2022, 02:00 AM   #34

THOR #3923
Quote:
These are nice. If I had to get a new chair today. It would the Navigator option from your link https://www.coachsupplydirect.com/rv...aptains-chair/ $2,020 just for the chair

I would get the Birch. What is not clear is whether I can get the footrest included with Captain chair. It shows as option, but I struggle to understand the difference between Captain & Passenger chairs, unless it is the side the remote controls are on?

Not sure I know what Remote Swivel and Remote Slide means?

Have you talked to them to see if they are locked in on their prices? My best guess it is at least $1,600 and maybe $300 to have someone install?
I liked those also, but when you start to add up everything (options), they are not cheap! The photos show a footrest, but they don't show it as an option, so who knows what that costs.

I didn't understand the "remote" thing either.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:18 AM   #35

THOR #3923
Quote:
Did you see my picture in post #20 with seat fully reclined and slide in? I have 30' 3" long RV on F-53. I will hit Steering wheel too if I don't slide seat forward away from it as I turn.
Yes, I saw your post. The slide-out isn't the issue...the issue is that the back of the seat hits the steering wheel and there isn't any adjustment (chair, pedestal, steering wheel) that is going to allow it to do so. If some question that I must not be moving the seat forward, or tilting the steering wheel up, or tilting the back...whatever, it won't turn around and I was just as dumbfounded as those reading that I can't.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:26 AM   #36

THOR #3923
Quote:
I don't know you, but unless you are jusplainwacky , and based on what your SO has already been saying, I bet if these were installed today

you would not be happy? Making custom armrests to fit would be hassle for me, they are otherwise nice. But price matters. Brand new, they may $2,000 each as well from Kia dealer. Caveat emptor on a salvage yard sight unseen.
If I decided to go with something out of a car/van/suv, I would first go to a dealer and sit in them; and I wouldn't order them new. I'd reach out to the salvage companies. These salvage companies all communicate with each other and if they don't have what you are looking for, they can send out a request to others.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:41 AM   #37

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
Check for Honda Odyssey (van) rear seats. I've seen several that had arm rests on both sides. Good luck
Those look like potential candidates.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda Odyssey.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	38529
Old 07-05-2022, 03:07 AM   #38

THOR #13058
Quote:
Those look like potential candidates.
Attachment 38529
Now they do look like RV chairs. I will watch where it goes.

1. You have to ensure the footprint is smaller
2. You have to ensure they can be mounted to do all of the functions, may need custom hardware to use your existing Pedestal, but not sure how the controls will work.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:16 AM   #39

THOR #3923
Quote:
Now they do look like RV chairs. I will watch where it goes.

1. You have to ensure the footprint is smaller
2. You have to ensure they can be mounted to do all of the functions, may need custom hardware to use your existing Pedestal, but not sure how the controls will work.
The controls are manual/cable. If I can find a nice seat, I could always mount them to my existing pedestal or perhaps find one that goes up/down. I have welding equipment, so no problem there.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:19 AM   #40

THOR #13058
Quote:
Yes, I saw your post. The slide-out isn't the issue...the issue is that the back of the seat hits the steering wheel and there isn't any adjustment (chair, pedestal, steering wheel) that is going to allow it to do so. If some question that I must not be moving the seat forward, or tilting the steering wheel up, or tilting the back...whatever, it won't turn around and I was just as dumbfounded as those reading that I can't.
I think you misreading their view, or at least mine. It is not that we are saying the Slide is the issue , but believe if Slide is Out, you can slide your chair further back and have more room to spin to clear the steering wheel.

Even in my coach with Slide in, I can move my chair back as far as it can go, I will hit the slide wall behind me, but I can still swivel chair, raise armrest clear the steering wheel. If my Slide was out, I could easily slide chair all the way back and pop wheelies

I like to say I trust you, but I don't believe your chair won't rotate. I would be like you trying over and over again until my DW had me committed.

Here is what I suggest you do. Call Thor and get the Product Manager for 29M. Speak to no one but him. Ask him why did the put a swivel chair in 29M that does not Swivel? Don't say anything else, don't elaborate, don't complain. Just ask him how to do? If he says Yes it is impossible, then I become 100% on board believer.