Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2022, 03:31 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I think you misreading their view, or at least mine. It is not that we are saying the Slide is the issue , but believe if Slide is Out, you can slide your chair further back and have more room to spin to clear the steering wheel.

Even in my coach with Slide in, I can move my chair back as far as it can go, I will hit the slide wall behind me, but I can still swivel chair, raise armrest clear the steering wheel. If my Slide was out, I could easily slide chair all the way back and pop wheelies

I like to say I trust you, but I don't believe your chair won't rotate. I would be like you trying over and over again until my DW had me committed.
Well, I can assure you, if you were to come here and try it, you'd be saying, "I'll be damn"!!

My guess is that someone bolted them in the wrong place.

It's pretty straight forward how to turn the seat around, and there is plenty of info online for the mechanically challenged. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit...is that simple.

Read post 27...https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...at-1869-2.html

Old 07-05-2022, 03:36 AM   #42

THOR #3923
Here is another person with the same issue.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ted-25256.html

And like I said, there is plenty of info online in how to turn it around. It's not rocket science.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:50 AM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Well, I can assure you, if you were to come here and try it, you'd be saying, "I'll be damn"!!

It's pretty straight forward how to turn the seat around, and there is plenty of info online for the mechanically challenged. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit...is that simple.

That is why I said called Thor and speak with Product Manager. If you tell him your seat can swivel he is not going to believe it either. So let's assume that it is installed in the wrong place, that would be 100% bonafied Mfg defect, that I am sure Thor would like to correct.

I looked at the other thread and it started with it did not fit but ended with I got it, it is very simple. You obviously know what you doing, that is why I say I trust (believe) you. But it has nothing to do with you. Your seat is suppose to rotate and you know it, if it does not it is Mfg defect that discovered unless, someone earlier decided that chair was too far back and had it moved forward?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:59 AM   #44

THOR #13058
Quote:
I liked those also, but when you start to add up everything (options), they are not cheap! The photos show a footrest, but they don't show it as an option, so who knows what that costs.

I didn't understand the "remote" thing either.
If footrest is not an option for Captains Chair, it is deal breaker for me.

Also, I think those Coach chairs has a wider footprint and I may not be able to swivel?

They measure 29" X 35" X 30"
Mine existing measure 27" X 43" X 27"

The height may not be counting the pedestal? But anything over 43" Height i also deal breaker for me because my Euro Loft is automatic and stops just a tad bit over the driver and passenger chairs. I recall the Windsports required you to tilt back the chairs before dropping the bunk.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-05-2022, 01:16 PM   #45

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
I may have solved my footrest problem. Yesterday while watching outdoor TV with portable cooler (outside fridge was not on); ads we were on a local trip to the lake, I noticed how perfect my cooler was for a footrest. I tried inside and laid back. I will now keep that Cooler in the basement.

On the Odyssey Van rear seats. I found them on ebay for $900 brand new. Full day later seller as offered a $50 discount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17476856490...&segname=11304

I can't imagine swapping my RV seats for Honda Odyssey chairs, but if it helps the OP, here it is. It has armrest if you wish to call them that. Bigger question is the mounting and how you get to slide forward and backwards and swivel.

Good luck
What cooler is it?
Old 07-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #46

THOR #17765
Quote:
Yes, I saw your post. The slide-out isn't the issue...the issue is that the back of the seat hits the steering wheel and there isn't any adjustment (chair, pedestal, steering wheel) that is going to allow it to do so. If some question that I must not be moving the seat forward, or tilting the steering wheel up, or tilting the back...whatever, it won't turn around and I was just as dumbfounded as those reading that I can't.
DK - your Winnie is made differently than ours. Both chairs are on a reaised platform. Have to “step down” when leaving the cockpit. Your chair is also lower than mine. I think my A29 is probably built like the 29 M. No problem with pass seat. I’m going to see if I can modify my seat attachment, lower and move forward some. Even then, my feet will dangle without a footrest and I’m 6’2”. But this thread has challenged me now.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:16 PM   #47

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
What cooler is it?
Coleman of course. I always buy Coleman when I can, That is my last name. Koldman is a play on words for internet. My 1st name begins with a D

Here is the the cooler that I have. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-16-qu...a-813806961758 Now that we have a ice maker in the RV, it is also kind of cool to have a few beverages in if we walk to some place near by. I no longer need to worry about buying ice on the road We carry a few extra water containers to keep our ice machine working. Even though we have filtered water in the coach, we don't normally drink it, but I will and I have.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:23 PM   #48

THOR #13058
Quote:
DK - your Winnie is made differently than ours. Both chairs are on a reaised platform. Have to “step down” when leaving the cockpit. Your chair is also lower than mine. I think my A29 is probably built like the 29 M. No problem with pass seat. I’m going to see if I can modify my seat attachment, lower and move forward some. Even then, my feet will dangle without a footrest and I’m 6’2”. But this thread has challenged me now.

Yes this is Jusplainwacky thread

But I like his metal. He has my attention. I think there may be something odd about his swivel. But the options he is tossing around has me thinking too, because I would love to have a foot rest. I am gonna try the cooler as footrest for while. I like the thought of opening while seated; to get the cold beers; so I can get all the fluids contents out; thereby reducing weight, especially since I don't have a fancy TPMS
Old 07-05-2022, 02:40 PM   #49
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

Quote:
Here is another person with the same issue.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ted-25256.html

And like I said, there is plenty of info online in how to turn it around. It's not rocket science.
Both of those issues were on the Axis model, not the 29M and both were resolved by using the correct combination of seat positions while rotating. There's probably at least a half dozen more threads on that same issue/resolution with the Axis/Vegas models.

I don't recall any threads regarding this issue on a 29M model.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:38 AM   #50

THOR #3923
I'll throw this out...watch the video. Interesting to consider. Now how can they make these for under 400 bucks and yet charge over 2000 for an RV??
This even has massage!

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Reclin...%2C126&sr=8-13
Old 07-07-2022, 06:08 AM   #51

THOR #13058
Be careful what you wish for.

As far as I can tell your problem is not the chair. But what
you do and issue that may ensue may very well be.

How long do you expect PU leather to last? Chairs like that I buy from OfficeMax, I plan to throwaway when they fail.

But I not gonna buy a $2000 Chair unless something is wrong with my existing or it is just old.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:13 AM   #52

THOR #3923
Here is another one...leather. Interesting to think about.

https://smile.amazon.com/Gaming-Comp...%2C132&sr=8-97
Old 07-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #53

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Both of those issues were on the Axis model, not the 29M and both were resolved by using the correct combination of seat positions while rotating. There's probably at least a half dozen more threads on that same issue/resolution with the Axis/Vegas models.

I don't recall any threads regarding this issue on a 29M model.
Ted, it’s such a headache to move mine I just never use it. I have to move steering wheel up, which I do anyway. Slide the seat far forward. Tilt the back far forward. Lower the left armrest. Then I can swivel it around. But, and it’s a big but, I’ve got to leave the seat back tilted forward as it is up against the steering wheel. And it is slid all the way forward. It ends up completely unsittable. But I’ve never challenged myself to “rearrange “ it. So I’ll report back.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #54

THOR #17765
Quote:
Here is another one...leather. Interesting to think about.

https://smile.amazon.com/Gaming-Comp...%2C132&sr=8-97
My hope is that the RV seats are more structurally sound That said a quick glance at shop4seats showed chairs starting around $750. My problem is to make the current seat sittable I’d need to slide it much farther forward to allow me to put the seat back back. I’ll see.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:57 PM   #55

THOR #3923
Quote:
My hope is that the RV seats are more structurally sound That said a quick glance at shop4seats showed chairs starting around $750. My problem is to make the current seat sittable I’d need to slide it much farther forward to allow me to put the seat back back. I’ll see.
I completely agree that the RV seats are more structurally built. I certainly wouldn't rely on the base framing of a gaming chair that typically have a single cylinder connected to the chair.

I'm just looking at the chair itself, and if I was to use a gaming chair, I'd remove it from the single cylinder pedestal and mount it on a sturdier frame.

I just think it's interesting to consider such a seat and bring awareness in how cheap they are when compared to RV seats. So, what if they may not last for years...I could buy 5 of these for the cost of an RV chair. However, I think they would hold up just find. I have office chairs that have last me for years and I use them daily.
Old 07-07-2022, 01:19 PM   #56

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Leather generally isn't the leather you think of unless it says
Full hide or split.
It can be, and often is, chopped and formed scraps covered with a colored vinyl spray and lasts, cosmetic wise, no longer than the colored vinyl sprayed seats now in your RV.

I have about 20sq yards of that here in a roll.

If any of you want a deal on some
Grandma lipstick/Cordova red
Let me know.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:15 PM   #57
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Shop4Seats Captains Chairs start at $550.

I bought 2 over 2 years ago for under $1200 shipped with adjustable lumbar support and heating in the passenger seat.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:51 PM   #58

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
The chairs in my Hurricane 29M suck...they are uncomfortable, to high, I can't adjust them up or down, and I can't swivel the drivers seat 180-degrees without the back hitting the steering wheel...which boggles my mind that Thor didn't address this.

I have spent a lot of time searching the forum for information and ideas which has been helpful, but I hope to get more ideas and suggestions.

New seats are expensive as hell, so I'm surprised I didn't find many posts were people opted to get seats from a salvage yard (car/truck/rv). My Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax diesel seats are adjustable...up/down/tilt/lumbar support and even heated...but not really captain chairs for an RV.

In looking at RV salvage yards, there are some pretty nice seats that don't cost an arm and a leg...the concern is getting a pair only to find they don't fit.

I also didn't find much information on how people connected up power to the seats. I did read one where the person got the power from the B.I.R.D.

When it comes to the passenger side, it would be nice to find a seat that could recline, and they can put their feet up....perhaps even nap on the road.

I have made note of all the places people bought their seats and I plan to check the following out. If anyone has any other ideas, please share.
* Braddandhall
* Flexsteel
* Glastop
* Shop4seats
* Thomas Payne
* Recpro
* FactoryRVsurplus
I would be cautious in changing out seats in your RV. Check with your insurance company before you go down that road. If you have an accident and a slick lawyer finds out you modified the seats, it could nullify your policy!!! Just make sure before and not after, when it's too late!! Bob
Old 07-07-2022, 07:53 PM   #59

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
That is why I said called Thor and speak with Product Manager. If you tell him your seat can swivel he is not going to believe it either. So let's assume that it is installed in the wrong place, that would be 100% bonafied Mfg defect, that I am sure Thor would like to correct.

I looked at the other thread and it started with it did not fit but ended with I got it, it is very simple. You obviously know what you doing, that is why I say I trust (believe) you. But it has nothing to do with you. Your seat is suppose to rotate and you know it, if it does not it is Mfg defect that discovered unless, someone earlier decided that chair was too far back and had it moved forward?
I have a 2018 Windsport 29m and it takes some doing but I got both seats to turn around and it is very nice to have them as part of the living area!!! Bob
Old 07-07-2022, 09:16 PM   #60
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I would be cautious in changing out seats in your RV. Check with your insurance company before you go down that road. If you have an accident and a slick lawyer finds out you modified the seats, it could nullify your policy!!! Just make sure before and not after, when it's too late!! Bob
Show me any insurance policy anywhere that has a "seat change" policy nullification clause.

I'll wait:

The "slick lawyer" would be the last person to try to nullify your insurance policy. His job would be to try to convince a civil jury that the changed seat somehow contributed to the accident.