Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2018, 01:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5447
anyone added LoadLifter Air Springs ?

Wondered if anyone had added the LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Air Spring kits to a F-53 to improve the ride?

Old 08-17-2018, 01:59 AM   #2

Model: 2018 Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #9055
I did it. I’ve been experimenting with pressures and have found 25psi is a perfect mix of firm but smooth. I did NOT tie the two lines together, instead they are separate and I fill to the same PSI individually. This helps eliminate sway and makes the steering more concise.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #3

Model: ACE 29.2
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5447
Did you notice the ride improve? ( potholes and bridge joints)
Old 08-17-2018, 11:21 PM   #4

THOR #9055
Yes, for me it was quite noticeable. I felt less road, and heard less to. It added smoothness to the coach going down the road. I added the Roadmaster RSSA steering stabilizer and I feel I’ve achieved what I was looking for. The doghouse and wheel well sound deadening rounded out the package too.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:29 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTANK View Post
. The doghouse and wheel well sound deadening rounded out the package too.
Can you elaborate on this? I’m new to RV’ing and to Thor forums, but haven’t heard much about sound deadening. We just purchased a 2019 Thor Hurricane 34J as our first RV (way to jump in, right?) and would like to significantly improve both the handling and reduce the internal noise on our drives. There seems to be lots of threads on the handling piece, but I haven’t found much on sound deadening. What did you do and is it something you can do yourself?
Old 08-22-2018, 11:05 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
JK, Could you share which kit you used and where you bought it at? I looked into air bags in the past and the ones I looked at would work on the F53 chassis as long as it wasn't a Thor? I think it had something to do with where Thor put some of the brackets. Did you have any problems with the installation? Thanks
Old 08-23-2018, 06:35 AM   #7

THOR #9055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwray View Post
Can you elaborate on this? I’m new to RV’ing and to Thor forums, but haven’t heard much about sound deadening. We just purchased a 2019 Thor Hurricane 34J as our first RV (way to jump in, right?) and would like to significantly improve both the handling and reduce the internal noise on our drives. There seems to be lots of threads on the handling piece, but I haven’t found much on sound deadening. What did you do and is it something you can do yourself?
That’s a great coach ! Mines an 18. There are many of us who have lined the doghouse(interior engine cover) with Dynamat or fatmat to insulate and sound deaden. I also lined the front wheel wells.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:45 AM   #8

THOR #9055
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
JK, Could you share which kit you used and where you bought it at? I looked into air bags in the past and the ones I looked at would work on the F53 chassis as long as it wasn't a Thor? I think it had something to do with where Thor put some of the brackets. Did you have any problems with the installation? Thanks
My part number was AIRLIFT-88240 Air Lift 88240 LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate for 09-11 Ford Pickup F53 Class A

I watched it on Amazon for a while and saw it drop in price and climb back up. I ended up ordering from a random internet retailer on eBay. Free shipping and no tax.

The hardest part was wedging myself into the wheel well and fitting everything into its spot according to the instructions.

I had airlift on my first RV, Forest River Sunseeker. When I got my Windsport 34J I researched the Sumo springs but ended going with airlift because of how happy I was with my first coach.