Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2016, 03:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Anyone have this.

Call me anal but this makes me nuts. Did anyone else have their Axis delivered like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-13 17.40.05.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	2470  

Old 07-14-2016, 04:02 AM   #2
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Call me anal but this makes me nuts. Did anyone else have their Axis delivered like this.
I wouldn't accept it until corrected if it was me.

Kev
Old 07-14-2016, 04:08 AM   #3

THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I wouldn't accept it until corrected if it was me.

Kev
Your right Kev, I will probably fix it myself. It just baffles me that stuff like this gets left in that condition and it makes it all the way to the customer without being addressed. Shame on you Thor and shame on the selling dealer for just turning a blind eye.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:05 AM   #4
Kev

THOR #3918
Axis

Quote:
Your right Kev, I will probably fix it myself. It just baffles me that stuff like this gets left in that condition and it makes it all the way to the customer without being addressed. Shame on you Thor and shame on the selling dealer for just turning a blind eye.
And it sounds your like me. If you fix it yourself I am sure it will be a much better result than the dealer because you will take the time to do it correct. They were doing warranty work on my coach and called me today to say it was complete. I got a ride to the dealer and the drawer they were suppose to fix now didnt open at all. I told them call me when it is correct.

Kev
Old 07-14-2016, 05:06 AM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Not sure which coach you have, but if it's a class C that would Ford's QC, if it's a class A shame on Thor/your dealer.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:21 AM   #6
Kev

THOR #3918
Quality Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Not sure which coach you have, but if it's a class C that would Ford's QC, if it's a class A shame on Thor/your dealer.
Class A
Old 07-14-2016, 05:25 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
We are on our 4th RV. 3 travel trailers and now a motorhome. All were purchased new. Every single one was presented to us with easy to see and easy to correct problems. Mostly they were errors I would expect from some assembler who took no pride in his work. I recieved an answer from a service manager on our previous RV delivery that if true explains a lot. It was an Airstream trailer (a Thor owned company). When the walk through showed a few quite glaring errors, I asked him why they had not corrected these problems before we came to pick it up. He replied that the company would not reimburse the dealer for correcting any problem until the customer complained about it. This shocked me a bit until I thought about it. I think the philosophy is "why spend money to make something right, if the customer does not seem to care about it?". Once again it all comes down to economics.

Ken
Old 07-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
....cut.... This shocked me a bit until I thought about it. I think the philosophy is "why spend money to make something right, if the customer does not seem to care about it?". Once again it all comes down to economics.

Ken
I agree Ken, but also think we do care about quality if at a reasonable cost. However, it's hard to express our desire for better products when there are few choices to pick from.

This issue reminds me of the superior fit and finish that Japanese cars had initially over Ford, GM, and Chrysler. It was only after Americans started buying Japanese autos at a slight premium price in order to get better fit and finish, better ergonomics (attention to details in design), and improved fuel economy that American auto makers improved quality.

In business companies only have to be better than their competition, and in the RV business there doesn't seem to be enough competition in the area of quality to force a higher standard. They are selling just about everything they can make, so why change if we keep buying their products.

Granted, it's complicated because higher quality does cost more, and apparently manufacturers think we buy based more on size and amount of content than on the quality of the product.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
You're right Chance. What the RV industry is missing is the importance of customer loyalty. As a young adult I only owned Fords until they had their horrible quality control problems and there were stories about workers sabotaging and trashing cars because they were angry with management. I switched to German and Japanese cars and did not buy another American car for almost 20 years. The increase in quality of American cars coupled with the lying about safety and mpg issues with Japanese and German cars brought me back. Some, not all, people are willing to pay a premium for better quality. The Japanese originally "broke the code"'by offering quality for the same or better price. That almost killed the US car industry. I will be interested to see if the new German RVs just hitting the market in the US will be any better in quality and if they will sell. I think the US RV industry needs some competition before they will be forced to look at themselves and get better.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
When we were browsing the RV lots for a new unit, we moved away from several brands for poor/visible workmanship...and evident problems/broken doors & drawers...sitting on the dealers lot, new units for sale !! It is crazy !!

Our Axis did not have the problem with the 'desk' .
After our (well documented) initial problem (not a Thor qc problem)...our Axis has been great!
Having just turned over 7100 miles we are pleased...transmission needs a bit of adjustment and windshield must be replaced (4x4 block of wood meets glass)

Keeping our fingers crossed that our TOY keeps us happy for many miles !!

Happy camping !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #11

THOR #4443
Thanks everyone for all your replies and all of you have, in my opinion, hit the nail on the head. For me its sad the we the American consumer who are willing to pay good money for a product, have to be subjected to poor workmanship, lack of pride in the product that is being produced, and company's that think that its ok to offer this stuff to their customers. Someday I will run into some kind of a Thor representative and really ask them some tough questions.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:48 AM   #12

State: Montana
THOR #4727
Dave P

I just joined Thor Forums just to see if anyone else has come up QC issues and sloppy workmanship like we have. Picked up an ACE 30.1 2015 with 2,000 miles. We have had 2 water leaks, terrible dust leaks on dirt roads, (it took 4 hrs. to clean that up!) the heater fan came apart, the automatic steps broke, drawers that won't stay closed etc. I hope the Japanese get in on the action soon and force better workmanship and better materials.