Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
Anyone install an inverter? 24.1

I need to install a 600/1000 watt inverter in my Axis 24.1. Not sure where to run the wires (4 gauge) and place the unit. Anyone have any experience or ideas? Thanks.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #2

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
I haven't, but plan to. My thought is to mount it to the roof of the cargo bay immediately aft of the door to minimize the cable run to the battery bank. Then try to snake the 120-volt cable up through one of the existing holes in the floor - probably where the outside TV cables come through.

Have you decided on a specific inverter? I'm still noodling on it.

Regards,

Randy
Old 05-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I would probably mount it under the passenger side bed: There is plenty of room under there for more "stuff" and you pretty much have all access to the back of the converter/charger--including the 12V lines from the house battery/ies.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First determine which inverter you want to install and then look at the installation instructions. Some inverters are very specific about the length of the cable (maximum distance) that be run between the batteries and the inverter itself.

My Xantrex manual for instance states that a cable longer than 5 feet presents a Fire Hazard and specifically states do not use a DC cable longer than 5 feet. With that said the Xantrex 1800 Pro would have to be within 5 feet of the battery(ies). Be careful, these types of statements are oftentimes not listed in the installation steps but rather in the cautions and warning that get ignored by users.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

THOR #3552
Quote:
My thought is to mount it to the roof of the cargo bay immediately aft of the door to minimize the cable run to the battery bank.
That's not a bad idea, I have already mounted my solar charge controller there.

I bought a PowerBright 600/1000 pure sine wave inverter (i just need to run a TV/DVD or small blender). Looks nice but have not hooked it up. Also bought a 100 amp circuit breaker (like the one mounted next to our batteries)
Old 05-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I would probably mount it under the passenger side bed: There is plenty of room under there for more "stuff" and you pretty much have all access to the back of the converter/charger--including the 12V lines from the house battery/ies.
I would add to that plan that the 12-Volt wire/cable sizes should be verified as adequate for inverter size. It's possible that conductors are only sized to handle the converter's output which may be less than some inverters require.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #7

THOR #3552
Quote:
Some inverters are very specific about the length of the cable (maximum distance) that be run between the batteries and the inverter itself.
I carefully reread the manual and they only specified a 4 gauge wire. After looking at some other wire selection tables, I think they are being very conservative, which is why they don't mention length.

Quote:
I would add to that plan that the 12-Volt wire/cable sizes should be verified as adequate for inverter size.
Unfortunately the converter wires look to be either 6 or 8 gauge (hard to read).

Another issue is the no load current draw is 0.85A, so I will have to remember to turn it off when not in use. Maybe I should have bought a unit with a remote.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #8

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I need to install a 600/1000 watt inverter in my Axis 24.1. Not sure where to run the wires (4 gauge) and place the unit. Anyone have any experience or ideas? Thanks.
See Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Thor Vegas Console post 13 and others for my two inverter installations.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #9

THOR #3552
Quote:
See Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Thor Vegas Console post 13 and others for my two inverter installations.
Thanks, did not see that before.

I took some pics of access hole for the TV bin - kinda crowded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv_storage_hole1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1942   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv_storage_hole2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1943  

Name:	tv_storage_hole3.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1944  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
...cut...

Unfortunately the converter wires look to be either 6 or 8 gauge (hard to read).

....cut....
I suspected that could be an issue because a 1,000 watt inverter will pull more than 100 Amps from battery(ies), and most converters on smaller motorhomes I've seen are rated below that.

If I were going to replace the 12-Volt conductors between battery and converter in order to install a new 600/1000 watt inverter, I think I would consider making them large enough to power a 2,000-watt inverter just in case I decided to upgrade later. I can't imagine the cost difference to upgrade conductor size would be more than a few dollars (granted copper is expensive).
Old 05-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #11

THOR #3552
Finally got around to installing my inverter. I decided to mount it next to the door on the right hand side. I choose this location because I needed access to the units power switch (it drains 0.85 amps no load) and I wanted short cable runs.

I had to drill a hole though the floor - no problems but drill it at least 1-2" away from the wall. There is a metal stringer next to the wall. Even got to break out the 3D printer to make the conduit tube and power connection cover.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	invertor1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1997   Click image for larger version

Name:	invertor2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1998  

Old 05-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #12

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Cosmo,

3D printer...now that's cool.

Nice job on install.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Is there 120-Volt wiring, or is inverter stand-alone? I can't tell for sure from pictures.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #14
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Cosmo,

3D printer...now that's cool.

Nice job on install.

Doc
I WANT a 3D printer ... Just waiting ....
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:39 PM   #15

THOR #3552
Quote:
Is there 120-Volt wiring, or is inverter stand-alone?
No 120 yet. Its just a 600/1000 inverter so I will probably just run a cord up to the tv and above the sink.

Quote:
I WANT a 3D printer ...
Fun toy - not all that practical, but a few times it has come in really handy. You will have to learn some sort of CAD software or get all your models from a site like Thingiverse. I use a free one called OpenSCAD - its not for everyone. For more free form shapes I use OpenVSP. Another free one is Blender, which is more traditional CAD.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
My 1000 watt inverter is mounted similar to how Cosmo showed in #11 above, but turned 90 degrees and moved forward on the wall. The wires go down through the carpet into the cargo bay in front of the entry door. Then drilled through the back of the cargo bay right to the battery. If you do this, be sure to allow room for the overhead bunk to clear when it is lowered.
Our intent isn't to run the TV from the inverter. It works great to run a small fan at night without shore power, or a crock pot while we are driving and sometimes to charge a laptop or phone.