Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Holding tank heating pads are 12V (at least on my coach), not 120VAC.
You're right.
Not sure what I was smokin'

Anywho...I just looked at my breaker and the two lines coming from the RECEPTACLE breaker (aka...Outlets, Non-GFI).
There's a standard household white covered 14 gauge + a black sheathed 14 gauge spliced together on the RECEPTACLE circuit breaker.

The Black Sheathed wire looks like it runs thru the floor, under the coach.
My best guess without a hard-target search...Must be the line to the Rear Bedroom TV outlets

Old 12-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #82

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
But at first I didnt realize what was going on with this circuit and I could not get my Booth outlet to work. Then someone here pointed out they piggie backed two circuits on the one breaker. The normal white romex and a black flexable line (so the slide can go in a out without breaking the wires over time).

So I put put a junction box after my inverter and I hooked up this one black line (so its removed from the original spot now). Everything fuctions correctly with the inverter on or off (So on shore power it everything works fine without inverter on).
On my 2017-24.1...
All Receptacle circuit outlets inside the coach that are not TV/DVD related (and the one above the bed) are all on the GFI circuit.
That is...
> The desk outlet at the passenger seat is GFI circuit
> The outlet on the front entry way wall above the step is GFI circuit
> The outlet above the floor next to the couch is GFI circuit
> The bath outlet is GFI circuit
> The outside TV, exterior outlet and bay outlets (under the outside TV) are all GFI circuit

So, if you want any of these outlets to be run thru your inverter, you'll need run a new line off of the receptacle line
Old 12-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #83

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Anywho...I just looked at my breaker and the two lines coming from the RECEPTACLE breaker (aka...Outlets, Non-GFI).
There's a standard household white covered 14 gauge + a black sheathed 14 gauge spliced together on the RECEPTACLE circuit breaker.

The Black Sheathed wire looks like it runs thru the floor, under the coach.
My best guess without a hard-target search...Must be the line to the Rear Bedroom TV outlets
NEC codes do not allow two circuits through the same 120/240 volt circuit breaker. Bad practice in RVs as well. In my coach the black round stranded wire is for the 120 volt circuits on the slide. If you chose to use stranded wire in a coach and terminate into a solid wire clamp, the bare wire end should be tinned with solder to insure a good connection of all the wire's strands.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #84

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
NEC codes do not allow two circuits through the same 120/240 volt circuit breaker. Bad practice in RVs as well. In my coach the black round stranded wire is for the 120 volt circuits on the slide. If you chose to use stranded wire in a coach and terminate into a solid wire clamp, the bare wire end should be tinned with solder to insure a good connection of all the wire's strands.
Yep, mine was the same way.... Black stranded wire for slide outlet but it piggy back at the breaker for the NON GFI outlets.

I think the RV industry thinks "NEC" stands for "Never Exactly Correct". LOL

Make sure you tighen down everything in and around that fuse panel (All 120 v and 12v lines, breakers, connections etc, relays, auto switch etc). Many were loose on mine - I bet after 10K miles they would be shorting out or just not working.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #85

THOR #13362
Quote:
Yep, mine was the same way.... Black stranded wire for slide outlet but it piggy back at the breaker for the NON GFI outlets.
on my '17-24.1, there is no outlet in the slide.

that is, there's one that's exposed on the wall when the slide is open, but it's attached to the GFI line.

now you got me thinking
i need to trace this one down to see where it goes and whether it's connected to an unexposed outlet, or just tied off
Old 12-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #86
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We have both a 12V light and 120VAC outlet in our slide on our 2014.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #87

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
We have both a 12V light and 120VAC outlet in our slide on our 2014.
I stand corrected

Now, since I didn’t include those two outlets on the underside of the slide cupboard as part of the inverter circuit, I will now need to revise my inverter wiring to include those as well.

Thank you
Old 12-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #88

THOR #12231
Quote:
on my '17-24.1, there is no outlet in the slide.

that is, there's one that's exposed on the wall when the slide is open, but it's attached to the GFI line.

now you got me thinking
i need to trace this one down to see where it goes and whether it's connected to an unexposed outlet, or just tied off
Very odd, I figured all of the thor RV's had at least one outlet in the slide area. This is very handy when your using a lap top at the table (or charging a phone while you are using it).

I also have a GFI on the wall behind the slide (can see it very easy with slide in).

I added an extra outlet under the table closer to the walkway - much easier to get to and it also has two built in USB's for charging a cell phone.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #89

THOR #12231
Picture of extra outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4806.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	14774   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4800.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	14775  

Old 12-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #90

THOR #12231
Quote:
I stand corrected

Now, since I didn’t include those two outlets on the underside of the slide cupboard as part of the inverter circuit, I will now need to revise my inverter wiring to include those as well.

Thank you
Yes, but do you really plan on watching TV outside when NOT plugged into shore power. I dont so I didnt worry about it.

If so I think I would pull power from the frig outlet (this is powered by non GFI) or the outlet above the sink (for a DVD player) and hook it up for the outside TV. Keep in mind that would NOT be a GFI circuit and it has potental of getting wet.

Also look under your booth (if you have one) to make sure its not already prewired for an outlet on that on GFI line and it was just not installed. Mine had provision for a 2nd outlet already (wood was precut and enough romex to wire it).
Old 12-26-2018, 06:23 PM   #91

THOR #13362
Quote:
Very odd, I figured all of the thor RV's had at least one outlet in the slide area. This is very handy when your using a lap top at the table (or charging a phone while you are using it).
Yes
You are correct, sir.

Our coach is so new that I’ve never really noticed or used these two outlets under the cabinet.

I just finished connecting to the “inverter out” line which has it’s own junction box behind the Converter

So now I’ve got all the non-GFI lines connected on the same circuit

Thank you
Old 12-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #92

THOR #13362
Quote:
Yes, but do you really plan on watching TV outside when NOT plugged into shore power. I dont so I didnt worry about it.

If so I think I would pull power from the frig outlet (this is powered by non GFI) or the outlet above the sink (for a DVD player) and hook it up for the outside TV. Keep in mind that would NOT be a GFI circuit and it has potental of getting wet.

Also look under your booth (if you have one) to make sure its not already prewired for an outlet on that on GFI line and it was just not installed. Mine had provision for a 2nd outlet already (wood was precut and enough romex to wire it).
Yes
I’ve already used the outside TV during a tailgate party at the football game
Also at the beach parking lot

The Outside TV GFI outlet is actually inside the coach, attached to the inside wall under the cooktop

I have no “booth”, just the couch. So I’m unsure of your idea.
I have a GFI outlet that’s exposed when the slide is out
Old 12-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #93

THOR #12231
Quote:
Yes
You are correct, sir.

Our coach is so new that I’ve never really noticed or used these two outlets under the cabinet.

I just finished connecting to the “inverter out” line which has it’s own junction box behind the Converter

So now I’ve got all the non-GFI lines connected on the same circuit

Thank you
Ok, well thats a lot of outlets hooked up to a med size inverter. Just make sure you dont overload the inverter and you should be fine.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #94

THOR #12231
Quote:
Yes
I’ve already used the outside TV during a tailgate party at the football game
Also at the beach parking lot

The Outside TV GFI outlet is actually inside the coach, attached to the inside wall under the cooktop

I have no “booth”, just the couch. So I’m unsure of your idea.
I have a GFI outlet that’s exposed when the slide is out
Ok, thats cool.

I would make sure its raised off of the floor some (under the cabinets) and not in direct line of fire of a water source to be safe.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #95
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
On a 24.1 the slide is just a couch. There are two outlets below the overhead cabinets (one on each end of the couch) and a 12V light fixture in the middle.

There is also an outlet on the "bathroom side" wall that is exposed when the slide is out. Outlets indicated by the light blue arrows below:

Name:	Inkedaxis3_LI.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	14776
Note that this is an early pic of our coach before I did some mods:
Our Axis now has a dozen places to charge your phone (4 on the front dash, 4 on the bottom of that cabinet over the slide + 2 more on the recliners and 2 more below the far rear cabinet in the bedroom). All are 12V powered and thus do not require generator or being plugged in.

Ah here is a pic of one of them in the slide (and the mail center installed):

Name:	chargetest.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	14777
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #96

THOR #12231
Can never have too many cell phone charging points or too much horsepower. LOL.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #97

THOR #12231
You know you got to thinking while eating lunch today..... If you want to run all of your repecitals off inverter power you might be better off with TWO Aims 1200 inverters or one large one with a larger auto xfer switch.

Our Aims 1200 inverters only has a 10 amp auto transfer switch. Sound like you might have a problem or be very limited on what you can run at the same time if you run all of them though the same inverter to me.

Like if you wanted to run an electic heater (while on shore power) all of this juice goes though the inverter on its way to the outlet. Does the auto xfer switch come into play when on shore power?

Im sure others will have more insite on this potenial problem. My knowlege is very limited on this subject - I have NOT researched it yet.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #98

THOR #13362
Quote:
Like if you wanted to run an electic heater (while on shore power) all of this juice goes though the inverter on its way to the outlet. Does the auto xfer switch come into play when on shore power?
I thought this one thru.
My electric heater plugs into a wall outlet that's on the GFI circuit

Regardless, the auto transfer switch just runs the power thru it. That is, it does not measure the watts and decide if it's too much.

That's the job of the 15 amp Breaker in the panel.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:31 PM   #99

THOR #12231
Quote:
I thought this one thru.
My electric heater plugs into a wall outlet that's on the GFI circuit

Regardless, the auto transfer switch just runs the power thru it. That is, it does not measure the watts and decide if it's too much.

That's the job of the 15 amp Breaker in the panel.
Oh, Ok. Thats good.

As long as your not trying to use a blow dryer or electic heater on high you should be fine.

I wonder if this Aims 1200 watt inverter can run our small microwaves? Not that I would but its interesting.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:20 AM   #100

THOR #13362
Quote:
I wonder if this Aims 1200 watt inverter can run our small microwaves? Not that I would but its interesting.
My home micro is 1100 watts
My boat micro is 800 watts

Both those would be fine

I haven’t looked up the Thor micro/convectionwattage requirements.
My hunch is micro only would work fine, but the convection browning element might trip the breaker

But my/our purpose for the Aims was to watch TV and plug electronics into it only

Update:
High point MicroConvection
1000 watts microwave
1150 watts grill
1500 watts convection

Tags
axis, inverter, vegas