Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2018, 03:25 AM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
My home micro is 1100 watts
My boat micro is 800 watts

Both those would be fine

I haven’t looked up the Thor micro/convectionwattage requirements.
My hunch is micro only would work fine, but the convection browning element might trip the breaker

But my/our purpose for the Aims was to watch TV and plug electronics into it only

Update:
High point MicroConvection
1000 watts microwave
1150 watts grill
1500 watts convection

Good to know.

Keep in mind that with the OEM wiring from the Battery to the OEM fuse panel (which is 4 gauge) it may not be large enough to supply enough juice to get a full 1200 watts. This is how I hooked up my inverter (simplified insulation and works great).

Im figuring 1000 - 1100 watts max which is more than enough for me.

I guess you could use like "80% power" on the microwave and add a minute or two if you want to warm up some food without tripping breaker.

Im only using one TV at a time, plus charging my laptop and a cell phone or two. I plugged in a LED rope light one night for atmosphere.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #102

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #13351
Why are house batteries runnding down after 1 night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Ok, great.

I also look at the cost/rewards part of the install. The Aims 1200 watt inverter with extra remote is around $200. Some of the larger inverters can run big money and if you really dont need it why send the money.

Not sure what the draw is on your coffee maker - 1200 watts might be enough?

Plus they say its more efficient to run an inverter at like half or 3/4 of its power rating? Or something like that. (So like use 800 watts out of my 1200 watt inverter is better than using only 200 on 1200). If you figure up your usage on average and go to the next size up inverter?

Where do you want to install your inverter?.... Take the dimentions and add about 5 or 6 inches all the way around and on top of it to see if it will fit. You might find out you dont have room for the 1800 watt.

I would upgrade your batteries ASAP as well. The more the better.

We have a 2019 24FE purchased in Oct 2018. We bought a 2nd Type 27 Interstate battery in January. We had CW install a AIMS 1200 pure sine inverter in January. We've used the inverter a couple of times now when boondocking. 2 nights ago I had everything UNPlugged from the inverter powered outlets and watched tv for 4-5 hours. The batteries were reporting 11.7v in the morning. When we hooked up to SP late yesterday, it took the converter 5 hours with the fan running to get the batteries back up close to 13.7 on the panel.

I'm wondering why I can't get more out of these batteries than just a few hours of watching tv. Shouldn't be so, right????? Is this a battery problem? An inverter problem?? seems strange to me....
thanks for any ideas
Old 04-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #103

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Unfortunately, it’s not strange. You don’t get a lot out of two “24” or “27” 12v batteries, especially if they are several years old. LED lights and TVs help a lot, but if you expect to run your whole coach, lights, fans, and an inverter for fans, TV, etc. you really need to upgrade your batteries and increase the number to four. As you have found out, however, when you do that, it takes a long time to charge up the batteries after you draw them down. You need to think of the whole battery, charger, inverter system and what exactly you are planning to use your batteries for. It may require a bigger alternator or 50 amp system.
When I was planning to spend a week in Denali National Park, I wanted to upgrade my batteries so that they would last the whole week. The National Park only let me use my generator for an hour or so per day. So I bought some small solar panels and upgraded to four batteries. Unfortunately, that did not help much because the “short pole in the tent” was the amount of amperage I could put back into the batteries. It really didn’t help to add two more batteries because I could not recharge them. I would have been better off to buy more solar panels and stay with two batteries.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #104

Model: Freedom Elite
THOR #13351
thanks for the thoughts. Just to add - one battery is 2 months old and the other is supposed to be part of a new unit purchased in Oct. The MH was on the lot for maybe 6 months, so the initial house battery isn't very old either. So with 2 batteries, one very new, is it still likely that 4-5 hours of 32" LED TV with a ROKU would drain the batteries to nothing? Nothing else was plugged in or running as the frig was on propane and we didn't even open the door and cause the light to go on! I wonder if the generator would have charged them any better than the converter???
thanks again
Old 04-14-2019, 09:01 PM   #105

THOR #1765
You might invest in a cheap battery tester and see exactly how “new” the original battery actually is. I don’t know if Thor is still using the junk Harris batteries, but I bet whatever they are putting into the Axis/Vegas are not top of the line. And sitting on the lot, being allowed to fully discharge and probably not keeping the water topped off might not have helped it. When you add a second battery to an older one, the battery system you create has the characteristics of the weakest battery.

In addition, you would do well to check out how well the converter/charger is actually charging your batteries. If you search for converter/charger in this forum, there have been some good discussions on this issue. I have owned both a 2014 Vegas and 2016 Axis and neither of the converter/chargers worked as they should. Neither fully charged the coach batteries and neither went into the final “float charge” state which did not help the condition of the batteries. Like the TVs, this is one area where Thor cuts corners with quality. I ended up buying a better quality converter/charger and it now actually works.

Your 12v electrical system is a system and it is as weak as the weakest part. A malfunctioning converter/charger can destroy new batteries in a short period of time - especially if you leave them plugged in all the time. It also may only charge your batteries to 80% of fully charged. Since you generally do not want to discharge your batteries below 50%, if your charger only charges your batteries to 80%, you are actually only able to effectively use 30% of your batteries — from 80% to 50% rather than 100% to 50%.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:41 PM   #106

THOR #12231
I agree with Oneilkeys.

My OEM batteries were junk before the first year was up (and CW + Thor would not replace or discount new ones). I did my research and decided TWO 6 volt AGM's were the way to go for me (and they fit under my steps with zero mods). Im a very happy with them. I also have the Aims 1200 inverter. I can go 5 or 6 hours easy andonly see a 10 maybe 15% decrease in battery charge? (dont know exactly but its NOT at 40 or 50%) But I have not tested two or three days in a row (Yet) but I have a feelling if I manage my power use I could go three before I would have to charge them.

When your done for the night you need to turn this Aims inverter off (unless your plugged into shore power or Genny is running). THis inverter FAN will run continuous even with nothing else on.... This will drain your battery.

Also if you have the Aims "remote switch"....when the light is green the inverter is ON and your using 12 v power the entire time. If it is Yellow your using shore or Genny power and the auto Xfer switch is ON.

I turn mine off when not needed.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 PM   #107

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I agree with Oneilkeys.

My OEM batteries were junk before the first year was up (and CW + Thor would not replace or discount new ones). I did my research and decided TWO 6 volt AGM's were the way to go for me (and they fit under my steps with zero mods). Im a very happy with them. I also have the Aims 1200 inverter. I can go 5 or 6 hours easy andonly see a 10 maybe 15% decrease in battery charge? (dont know exactly but its NOT at 40 or 50%) But I have not tested two or three days in a row (Yet) but I have a feelling if I manage my power use I could go three before I would have to charge them.

When your done for the night you need to turn this Aims inverter off (unless your plugged into shore power or Genny is running). THis inverter FAN will run continuous even with nothing else on.... This will drain your battery.

Also if you have the Aims "remote switch"....when the light is green the inverter is ON and your using 12 v power the entire time. If it is Yellow your using shore or Genny power and the auto Xfer switch is ON.

I turn mine off when not needed.

AGREED!

That's the best way to do it.

PS. I have 6mo old Interstate 12v Deep Cycle. So far I'm getting just about same results as you
Old 04-15-2019, 02:14 AM   #108

THOR #14380
On my Miramar, I installed a 2nd inverter. My thinking was: I want to make coffee any time, anywhere, without starting my generator. My Keurig coffee maker is 1500 watts, so I added an 1800 watt inverter. With the frig running I could not use the regular system, as it would overload.

My set-up: I got a deep cycle battery and put it under the dining seat. The inverter is under the dining table, which is where I would make coffee or do anything else. To keep the battery charged, I added a 6 amp charger that works whenever we have shore power.

It works fine, but yes, it is a lot of trouble just to make coffee. In reality, however, it is a backup system if I ever need one.

Jim
Old 04-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #109

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by analoguy View Post
On my Miramar, I installed a 2nd inverter. My thinking was: I want to make coffee any time, anywhere, without starting my generator. My Keurig coffee maker is 1500 watts, so I added an 1800 watt inverter. With the frig running I could not use the regular system, as it would overload.

My set-up: I got a deep cycle battery and put it under the dining seat. The inverter is under the dining table, which is where I would make coffee or do anything else. To keep the battery charged, I added a 6 amp charger that works whenever we have shore power.

It works fine, but yes, it is a lot of trouble just to make coffee. In reality, however, it is a backup system if I ever need one.

Jim

I think its a great Idea if you ahave the room to spare. Some days you really need a stong cup of joe so its well worth it in the long run (IMO).
Old 04-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #110

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #9320
Get A Monitor!

The single most useful Mod I have in our rig is the battery monitor. I purchased the super cheap/basic EL120100C Battery Monitor. There is a learning curve to understand how to calibrate it, but it works excellent.

If you plan to use the inverter to power the fridge (while driving) as I do, it is important to know when to shut it off! It can pull ~30 amps off the batteries at times so if you aren't actively charging with the alternator, you need to be careful to shut it down and use propane to power the fridge.

I believe a monitor makes all the difference in understanding your battery use and status to help make good decisions regarding charging, running the generator, etc.
Aims 1200w pure sine inverter (non GFCI circuit)| Sumo Springs Front| Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer| ARC shower rod| Vent Covers| EL120100C Battery Monitor| Progressive Surge Protector-Portable| Yamaha XT 225 on hitch carrier
tjyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #111

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJNN View Post
I'm wondering why I can't get more out of these batteries than just a few hours of watching tv. Shouldn't be so, right????? Is this a battery problem? An inverter problem?? seems strange to me....
thanks for any ideas
Group 27 starting battery has about 25 ah of usable amperage when new. Group 27 marine batteries have about 40 ah of usable amperage when new. Group 27 true deep cycle batteries have about 50 ah of usable when new. Your inverter is a modified sine wave and has an efficiency of about 70% at 1/4 load. So to supply 2.5 amps @ 120 volts takes 35 amps @ 12.2 volts.

Your converter will supply about 50 amps @ 14.4 volts (typical inverter), but when the batteries reach about 80% charged, the amperage tapers. Typically the last 20% of charge takes 3 to 4 hours depending on the battery type, converter, converter temperature and the battery temperature. This is one area where AGM batteries excel. Because of their low internal resistance much less of the charging current is changed into heat; thus. AGM batteries charge faster.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #112

THOR #12231
Yep, AGM rock!

6 Volt AGM "Rock N Roll all night and Party Every Day". LOL.

Look below how wimpy the stock Lead Acid look next to the "Group 27" AGM 6V. And they still fit under my steps with zero mods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4525 (1).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	16767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4526.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	16768  

Old 04-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #113

THOR #1765
If you’re going to buy AGMs (and I think they are great - I had them on my sailboat) why not buy an 8D AGM? It’s shorter than two 27s, has more Ah and is cheaper. The issue is man handling it and getting it into the battery box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8F4255CC-14E1-49AC-8228-A26ED991E585.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	16769  
Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #114

THOR #12231
But will they fit under my steps with zero mods?

That is the main reason I picked the Full Rivers.... Just the right size and I could pick them up locally (no local Trojans for me).
Old 04-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #115

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
If you’re going to buy AGMs (and I think they are great - I had them on my sailboat) why not buy an 8D AGM? It’s shorter than two 27s, has more Ah and is cheaper. The issue is man handling it and getting it into the battery box.
Most of the smaller coaches have small battery compartments. Mine is 13.5" wide 18" high and 18" deep. A group 29 at 13.0" long is a big as I can get turned into place.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #116

THOR #12231
Group 29 is a nice size.... Esp if you can go the TWO 6 volt AGM route ....thats about a good as it can get (without spending big money for lithium) and staying in the Factory locaton while keeping the wiring simple.

Of coarse 4 batteries would be better. But for most of us (IMO) two AGM's (6v or 12v) would be more than enough 90% of our trips/outings.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:50 AM   #117

THOR #1765
As you can see in the picture the 8D is two 27s or 29s with 250 Ah and it is only 20.5” long and 10.5” and 10” high. It should fit easily in the space of two 29s. The problem is that it weights 159 lbs so it takes two strong people to lift and man handle it. Since I had to “tip” my 29s to slide them into the battery box. I think it might take 3 people to get an 8D into an Axis coach box. On the positive side one 8D is substantially cheaper than two 29 AGMs as well as having more Ahs.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:29 AM   #118

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Hello everyone, after seeing how well an inverter worked in my cousins 5th wheel I started to read up on it. I would like to install one like the Aims 1200 inverter to run the refer box/tv/fan in pm for a couple hours and coffee pot in the am. I am still confused on how to wire it so a few outlets work to include the refer box. If anyone can send me a wiring diagram or pics of how you installed yours I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
Old 04-20-2019, 04:17 AM   #119

THOR #12231
Not too hard. The one breaker in your fuse box on our Axis/Vegas RV's is marked recepicals (but the None GFI - you have two breakers) controls all of the outlets you want (Frig, Two inside TV's, the outlets next to the TV's for DVR players, and one dinning room (booth in mine) outlet.

Look out a you tube call "Finding our Happy" formerly know as "Two Trail Hikers". He has 3 videos on this subject.

Let us know if you need anymore help with this. You might want to start your own thread.

Also do a search on this... Lots of treads on this subject including mine.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #120

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I just tested batteries with inverter. It still takes 4 hours for TV/bluray to take panel indicator from 4 lights to 3. I realize this is not an absolute capacity test but purpose of inverter was to power TV/bluray on road while grandkids watched. We rarely boondock on purpose, usually we are plugged in or one of the generators run.

There are occasions where we run only heat through night while at track and leave generator off. In morning, never less than 3 lights on panel. We are going on 4 years based on build date and do plan to replace chassis battery shortly.

Tags
axis, inverter, vegas