Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2020, 11:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
anyone used rvwhisper.com monitor station

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has used the https://rvwhisper.com/monitor-station/
monitor station? Would like to hear some feedback. Seems like a nice way to remotely monitor your RV status.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:51 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I checked it out based on your post.
I'd buy it today 3xcept for the wonky Cloud access Through them at 42 bucks a year.
If they used anything but their own cloud, it's a deal. But if the company fails the cloud fails.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
No, I have never used, my RV is on my property so my need would be minimum.

However, I would interested to know your context of what you would like to do and how you may use?

Basically the question might be to Posters do you need to know any of this information while you are away from RV and if so why?

Temperature
Shore Power
Battery Voltage
Propane Levels
Tire Pressure
Fresh, Gray and Black Tank Levels
Battery Current (Amps, Amp Hours)
Battery State of Charge
Door Open/Close
Water Leaks
Motion Sensor
Humidity

If I assumed I was going to be at storage facility that had WiFi available then I would think there may be some level of protection by the facility itself. Even if I had my own internet access via satelite; if I was this concerned I would simply install a basic DVR camera system with the cameras that also detect motion. I would have one facing the door, one facing cabin area, one facing AGS controller that would show voltage. If I had a tire pressure system I could put the 4th camera on the tire pressure monitor.

Not sure I would be concerned with Temperature, shore power (btw; if it off the Wifi & Cameras would not work anyway so you know something is down).

Propane Levels, Fresh, Gray and Black Tank Levels would all be static.

Water Leaks - my tank would likely be empty if in storage

Humidity - I would not care about
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I currently do some monitoring with my coach. I have a Winegard ConnecT 2 to provide internet access that gives me some monitoring ability.

I have a Temperature Stick that lets me monitor temperature and humidity (can be important to monitor to make sure humidity isn't too high to promote mold and mildew growth) via WiFi. Their app allows you to set alerts for high or low temperature thresholds as well as high humidity. I also have two cameras inside the coach as well.

I have the FireFly Multiplex system and FireFly offers an ~$800 upgrade to add WiFi to the system for monitoring that I may consider adding. I already like the FireFly App because I can monitor and control almost every function in the coach with their app. Unfortunately it is a Bluetooth connection so you need to be close to the coach. I may just opt to spend the $800 and add the WiFi ability to the FireFly system.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:32 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I currently do some monitoring with my coach. I have a Winegard ConnecT 2 to provide internet access that gives me some monitoring ability.

I have a Temperature Stick that lets me monitor temperature and humidity (can be important to monitor to make sure humidity isn't too high to promote mold and mildew growth) via WiFi. Their app allows you to set alerts for high or low temperature thresholds as well as high humidity. I also have two cameras inside the coach as well.

I have the FireFly Multiplex system and FireFly offers an ~$800 upgrade to add WiFi to the system for monitoring that I may consider adding. I already like the FireFly App because I can monitor and control almost every function in the coach with their app. Unfortunately it is a Bluetooth connection so you need to be close to the coach. I may just opt to spend the $800 and add the WiFi ability to the FireFly system.

Try tossing an Android tablet in there and turn on remote access with TeamViewer. Then if you have other Bluetooth things, you can check those remotely too.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #6

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
Try tossing an Android tablet in there and turn on remote access with TeamViewer. Then if you have other Bluetooth things, you can check those remotely too.
I was doing some testing with an iPad and TeamViewer. Unfortunately TeamViewer on an iPad does not work the same way as it does on a laptop. I could not connect to TeamViewer on the iPad without having to manually intervene on the iPad when trying to connect to it from my phone.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #7

THOR #15642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I was doing some testing with an iPad and TeamViewer. Unfortunately TeamViewer on an iPad does not work the same way as it does on a laptop. I could not connect to TeamViewer on the iPad without having to manually intervene on the iPad when trying to connect to it from my phone.

Yep that's why I used an old Android tablet and "TeamViewer Host".

It runs in the background and can be woken up out of sleep remotely.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #8

THOR #13932
I would use the alarms when away from the coach and I'd use the monitors on a tablet screen while in the coach.
Temp and humidity detectors in the bins, leak detectors where leak dete tors should go,
Door alarms on bins and hood and fridge and on black and gray tank valves.

Lots of uses.
Too bad they're on their own cloud.
That was a miserably stupid choice on their end.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
dang, 800 bucks for a wifi module!! Little stiff, would be nice to add it onto our system.

I think my wife uses the app more than me, she blinks the awning lights to tell my late night camping buddies to shut down the party! ha

you figure out what you going run your wineguard on when att runs out?

I am at the bottom of outerbanks and getting 60 meg down and 20 meg up! full bars. really going to miss this unlimited net for 30 bucks.

our verizon phones barley get a bar here.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
Yep that's why I used an old Android tablet and "TeamViewer Host".

It runs in the background and can be woken up out of sleep remotely.

Thanks for the tip. I have an old Android phone I don’t use for anything so I may give that a try to see how it works with TeamViewer and the FireFly app.

I purchased the RVi3 Braking System for my toad and it has an Android Tablet to monitor the unit. I’m not sure I can install third parts apps on it because they have built their app on the platform. I may see if there is a way to use it as an Android tablet when not using it to monitor the toad braking system.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
Yeah the yearly $42 fee is quite annoying.
I have the Samsung smartthings for my house and it works well. I miggt get a 2nd smarrthings unit at $75 and try that. The tank level sensors on this unit would be nice but that feature does not work yet.
My main reason for wanting this is to monitor the rv when I am at a campground and going out so I can make sure the dog is ok
Old 09-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #12

THOR #13932
A cheap wifi camera facing your thermostat and one to see and talk to the dog.
70 bucks for the pair.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #13

THOR #15642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
A cheap wifi camera facing your thermostat and one to see and talk to the dog.

70 bucks for the pair.

A little bit more but in addition to what I was talking about earlier...

Proteus AMBIO - WiFi Temperature Humidity Sensor with Buzzer and Email/Text Alerts https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01AQ0PZ..._RWMxFb378RG0W

And Wyze 360 cameras.

That sensor can send email and text alerts with no fees. Provides historic graphs too.

The Android tablet I have to make sure shore power is good and to change the temperature.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
...My main reason for wanting this is to monitor the rv when I am at a campground and going out so I can make sure the dog is ok
We just added an Eyenimal HD Pet Camera for this chore.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #15

THOR #13932
I put the humidity and temp sender in my Amazon list... For the greenhouse and the rv.
Thanks.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #16

THOR #12751
I have been using the Temperature Stick all year in my coach and it has worked great. We use it to monitor temps when we leave the dog in the coach but I also use it when I have it parked for extreme temps and humidity. It runs on two AA batteries so it can be used without AC power and it gets great battery life. I use rechargeable batteries and I haven't charged them in a couple months.

It will send text and / or email alerts for high or low temps and high or low humidity levels. You can configure alerts just about any way you like.

It is a bit pricey but it has been rock solid. You can usually get it cheaper on their website vs Amazon. They just had a $20 off sale for Labor Day.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Temp...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://tempstick.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQj...caAijOEALw_wcB
Old 09-17-2020, 02:54 AM   #17

State: Arkansas
THOR #7279
Topfox

Arlo Go is the way to, WFI include, long with movement and audio
Old 09-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #18

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Any new thoughts?

I’m looking at getting the system. The private cloud info does worry me. The $42, not to much (worrying about this is the same as worrying about mpg - you spend multi thousands on the rig so $42 is a drop in the bucket).

I like everything that the web page says it does.

I primarily want to monitor my power and the temp for the pup, but it does additional so that’s a plus. I realize that there are bunches of products, but this one appears to “do it all,” and I’d much prefer a single app over multiple ones.

I’m also thinking “hmmm… this would work for the house too…

As always - any info is greatly appreciated!
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:24 AM   #19

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
I have the system and it works great. Zero issues so far. Monitoring all house and chassis batteries, fridge and freezer, temp in front, rear and water bay (and humidity).

I'm a gadget guy so I like playing around with this type stuff. I also have Temp Sticks, cameras, etc.

My favorite is I have two micro air thermostats that I can control from my phone.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210920-211743.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	33779Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210920-212127_MIPC.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	33780
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #20

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has used the https://rvwhisper.com/monitor-station/
monitor station? Would like to hear some feedback. Seems like a nice way to remotely monitor your RV status.
I've had it for 5 months now and have not had any issues with it yet. It can connect up to 20 sensors. I currently use the temp, water and battery sensors. A great feature is being able to set the parameters for alerts-either email or text are the options. I still have yet to install the door monitor. I like that it is compatible with the Hughes Power Watchdog as well. I also like that you can see the battery status of each sensor.
I've checked the functionality of it while away, and like I said, no issues yet.
It does hook to their cloud, but you can also hook directly to its own wifi if your net connection goes down (obviously you have to be close to the unit).
Customer service is excellent! I recommend it. My two cents.