Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2023, 11:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Android radio replacements

Any experience here with these relatively cheap radio replacements operating on android OS?
like this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNTS8RQ9...lig_dp_it&th=1
there are many our there cheaper, with both smaller and larger screens, different features.
I like the larger screen, and I like the ability to tilt the screen towards me.
The ones operating on android apparently could run waze or google maps and many come with an external GPS antenna. You can connect by wifi or download offline map data.or you can run android auto or apple's car play.

I'm thinking of trying to get something with a better and perhaps bigger screen for the reverse camera....and I love the idea of larger screen navigation, rather than using my phone in a mount.Hardly ever use the radio and I'm no audiofile so that's much less important to me.... but I do want it to play passable music

I'm just stuck in analysis paralysis, looking for some recommendations

Old 07-23-2023, 01:30 AM   #2

State: California
THOR #29729
I can't comment on the specific unit, but I installed a $900 Alpine in mine and it struggles with navigating with Google maps and streaming music at the same time. It will sometimes freeze or actually be multiple seconds ( > 10sec) behind on updating the navigation. I suspect the unit just doesn't have the power to run the display and multiple apps at the same time.

Maybe the Alpine is just a poor unit, but I'm not sure if I would trust a <$400 unit with a name I don't recognize to do a better job.
Old 07-23-2023, 01:51 AM   #3

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
I just received that exact unit this evening. It will replace the Axxera POS that is in my Axis 25.2 within a few days, baring complications.

Don't have a clue regarding Android--I do Apple , and this unit will give me wireless Apple CarPlay, in addition to all my exterior cameras and GPS thru several Apple apps.

I'll post results when installed.
Old 07-23-2023, 03:46 AM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Eonon is the brand I like for Android head units.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 12:20 PM   #5

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCanuck View Post
I can't comment on the specific unit, but I installed a $900 Alpine in mine and it struggles with navigating with Google maps and streaming music at the same time. It will sometimes freeze or actually be multiple seconds ( > 10sec) behind on updating the navigation. I suspect the unit just doesn't have the power to run the display and multiple apps at the same time.

Maybe the Alpine is just a poor unit, but I'm not sure if I would trust a <$400 unit with a name I don't recognize to do a better job.
I have the same feeling about the brand....but I keep reminding myself that brand often doesn't matter today, like it did decades ago.
Looking at the spec page, I was hoping to see something about the processor...how many cores, and how much ram/rom.... thinking that may point to your lag issue, but I don't see it listed.

The other thing I've been wondering, reading the few reviews that there are for these units, that often folks complain about issues using carplay or streaming....but the thing I wonder and can't tell for sure is how much of that is when using wireless vs wired connections...or does that even matter? My thought/hope is that even if the native navigation doesn't work well, that wired android auto from my phone will work...which is probably what I would prefer anyway.... to get live traffic re-routes, etc...
Old 07-23-2023, 12:51 PM   #6

THOR #30073
blw2, it is listed in the Amazom page if you scroll down a bit:

CPU: Octa Core ARM Cortex-A55 RAM: 4GB ROM: 64GB
Old 07-23-2023, 02:39 PM   #7

THOR #29729
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I have the same feeling about the brand....but I keep reminding myself that brand often doesn't matter today, like it did decades ago.
Looking at the spec page, I was hoping to see something about the processor...how many cores, and how much ram/rom.... thinking that may point to your lag issue, but I don't see it listed.

The other thing I've been wondering, reading the few reviews that there are for these units, that often folks complain about issues using carplay or streaming....but the thing I wonder and can't tell for sure is how much of that is when using wireless vs wired connections...or does that even matter? My thought/hope is that even if the native navigation doesn't work well, that wired android auto from my phone will work...which is probably what I would prefer anyway.... to get live traffic re-routes, etc...
You may be right on how to consider brands these days.

The navigation that I have issue with is actually Google Maps through CarPlay (I use it wired). I seem to have less issues with running the RVLife app in navigation mode although my sample data is less. The issue may be related to Hardware performance or maybe I just need a firmware update.

Another thing you may want to consider is if the unit you are buying requires the parking brake to be set too access the "settings" menu. I described this a bit in my post about installing the Alpine. I ended up using a bypass module to get around it.

Keep us updated, I'm curious how well it works.
Old 07-23-2023, 11:10 PM   #8

THOR #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGilbert View Post
I just received that exact unit this evening. It will replace the Axxera POS that is in my Axis 25.2 within a few days, baring complications.

Don't have a clue regarding Android--I do Apple , and this unit will give me wireless Apple CarPlay, in addition to all my exterior cameras and GPS thru several Apple apps.

I just had a preliminary inspection by the fellow that will be doing my install.
Good news: he says easy peasy--all will work & will only take about 2 hours.
Bad news: He can't do it until 2nd weekend in August! (3 weeks out)
Old 08-02-2023, 02:14 AM   #9

THOR #908
Quote:

Any reports on that install?
Old 08-02-2023, 11:35 AM   #10

THOR #30073
Not until the 11th or 12th. I might be able to do it, but this guy is a former Best Buy installer. I would feel better if he did it.
He also will look at my rear camera and decide if the new one or the Axxera one is better.
Old 08-03-2023, 12:47 AM   #11

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Not until the 11th or 12th. I might be able to do it, but this guy is a former Best Buy installer. I would feel better if he did it.
He also will look at my rear camera and decide if the new one or the Axxera one is better.
The rear camera is NOT an AxxERA camera, it is most likely one of these.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...vs-mv3-ir.html

In my case when I replaced my AxxERA radio the image from the backup camera was many times better with the new radio. However, the most important thing is that I can now see the image during the day.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:45 AM   #12

THOR #30073
Alas, All is well in my motorhome world!

The install was today, and right off the bat, there was no 'cage' for the new unit.
My installer modified the Axxera one, and, although cobbled, no one would ever know as it's buried within.

There are 100's of settings I need to play with, but I just got it back this evening and haven't the time.

Only one drawback, is Thor made no provision for an auxiliary wire, so the unit is either always on, as was the Axxera, or off with the key as I chose to do. No biggie.

Also, the rear camera on the Axis is far superior to the new one, so left as is.

The uniy is as clear, bright, and crisp as anyone would ever want. I an thrilled so far.

As to the clearance to the rocker switches, there is a ton of room under the screen, and also the swivel left to the driver's view is awesome!

You all be the judge! (And, yes, Ducksface, I do know how to attach )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2748.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	43119  
Old 08-12-2023, 12:50 AM   #13

THOR #30073
PS: If anyone is interested in my perfectly workable, but not for me, Axxera, make me an offer I can't refuse. I can UPS or USPS, but would rather have pickup; I'm in Northern IN--15 miles W of Thor's hometown of Elkhart.
Old 08-12-2023, 01:59 AM   #14

THOR #29729
Nice, will be interested to see how well it works during use.

For the Aux wire, on my install, I added a separate rocker switch to turn the unit on/off as the aux wire with the Thor harness was connected to the coach battery disconnect switch.

Does the new unit have a power button? My Alpine does not
Old 08-12-2023, 06:40 PM   #15

THOR #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCanuck View Post
Does the new unit have a power button? My Alpine does not
Yes it does.

Got a chance to play with it for a little bit today.
All works except:
1) can't figure out how to connect my phone's hotspot to MH

2) too far from house WiFi to connect

Whoever said:
When you get this installed. Download an app called Car Launcher.
It lets you set up your home screen to include only the things you want there.
It allows about a dozen subscreens as well.
It has about 1,000 combinations in size and widgets.

It is NOT an iPhone app. As soon as I can get Internet to this unit, I think I can get apps and possible system update.. (It comes with 15-20 apps now)
Old 08-12-2023, 07:28 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Yes it does.

Got a chance to play with it for a little bit today.
All works except:
1) can't figure out how to connect my phone's hotspot to MH

2) too far from house WiFi to connect

Whoever said:
When you get this installed. Download an app called Car Launcher.
It lets you set up your home screen to include only the things you want there.
It allows about a dozen subscreens as well.
It has about 1,000 combinations in size and widgets.

It is NOT an iPhone app. As soon as I can get Internet to this unit, I think I can get apps and possible system update.. (It comes with 15-20 apps now)
1 - configure the SSID and password on your phone's hotspot configuration
2 - Turn on the phone's hotspot
3 - Connect the radio wifi to your phone's advertised SSID using the configured password.

The radio connects to the phone. The phone does not connect to the radio (for Internet access)
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 12:59 AM   #17

THOR #30073
Not a clue what I did, but finally got on the internet through my iPhone; Now, somehow, I lost CarPlay!
I'll piddle & fiddle tomorrow---my brain is fried!
Old 08-14-2023, 01:21 AM   #18

THOR #908
thanks for letting us know...I'm looking forward to your follow on report after you've had some time with it

I just received my android head today. I had strongly considered the one you installed, kept going back to it...but ended up ordering a different brand model...not for any serious reasons really.

I'm curious about your comment about the new camera. Mine came with a similar or perhaps identical camera. Supposed to have a higher resolution that n the old thing on my RV. I think my existing camera might be on teh fritz, so I was really hoping the new one would work. It's much smaller and doesn't have the IR LED's, but those things have never helped...basically I've never had useful night vision with my old camera.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:40 PM   #19

THOR #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
thanks for letting us know...I'm looking forward to your follow on report after you've had some time with it

I just received my android head today. I had strongly considered the one you installed, kept going back to it...but ended up ordering a different brand model...not for any serious reasons really.

I'm curious about your comment about the new camera. Mine came with a similar or perhaps identical camera. Supposed to have a higher resolution that n the old thing on my RV. I think my existing camera might be on teh fritz, so I was really hoping the new one would work. It's much smaller and doesn't have the IR LED's, but those things have never helped...basically I've never had useful night vision with my old camera.
Finally had a chance to 'play' today. Unit started up differently with an Android logo and then a Google logo. First screen was full Chrome. Touched the Home button, and then went to CarPlay which opened right away! Go figure!

Next, I went back to Chrome which said I was offline. Also said it would let me know when I was online. After a few minutes, I quit.

All in all, I'm happy with the unit. Basically, I could care less whether I can get online with Chrome. 1) I'm an Apple junkie, and anti Chrome. It takes tons of resources on my Mac so I ditched it years ago. Safari & Firefox are my choices. 2) No way am I going to be going online while driving. When I do want to access the internet, I will be using either my iPhone or my Mac laptop.

All else works well. Clear, sharp, much better sound, radio or music from iPhone, than the Axxera ever was. If I was more familiar with Android, it just might be perfect!

As said earlier, my Axxera is available to anyone that wants it. Offers accepted and includes wiring schematic AND a brand new rear view camera from the new unit (no infrared).
Old 08-15-2023, 10:10 PM   #20

THOR #29729
Does it require the parking brake to be set before opening up things like "settings" or a browser?