Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: Texas
THOR #13013
Post ARIA storage floor boards

Have a '17 3901 Aria.

Issue is the floor boards for the storage compartments are deteriorating at a very alarming rate.

They are all sagging and the floor under the water tank has detached.

Obviously from water and the driving in wet conditions has made all the flooring weak.

Has anyone done any repair and what is the suggestion.

Just a very poor use of a material that shouldn't be in this application from THOR.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
while you're certainly past your normal warranty, I would still call/email Thor Warranty Center and tell them that this has been happening since day one and they need to replace the flooring - they did for us, and we were slightly out of the warranty period.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
CSR

Model: Aria 3901
State: Minnesota
THOR #6177
We are experiencing the same deterioration in certain spots on the basement storage floors. We plan to replace them in the spring. Not sure the cost and time to travel to Indiana is worth having Thor fix the problem with the same materials. The problem will likely occur again in a few years. Am considering replacing the plywood with a light weight composite board as it will be more suitable for wet conditions. Currently considering Coosa Composite Board - Bluewater 26. I will update if we decide to go this route.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Seems there was a recall recently on this issue with some of the bigger models. Your coach isn't so old that Thor may consider helping you. May not be a full-on warranty claim but they might offer some assistance...at least in the form of advice or discounted labor. This will be a big job...I'd seriously consider negotiating help from Thor and take it to the factory Service Center for the work either way. They've had a lot of experience repairing this specific issue and they know it exist. The labor rate is only $100 per hour and they don't have to stand around for days scratching their heads (on the clock) wondering how it was put together. Do it once, do it right. Seems in a previous post by another owner, they replaced all the material and have redesigned the sealing process. The Wakarusa Service Center is excellent. Their statement..."we didn't build it but we can certainly fix it".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #5

THOR #13013
Follow up[

Thor is evaluating at this moment.

My fingers are crossed and hoping for a good resolution.

The floor board below the fresh water tank has completely deteriorated and is hanging below the coach.

An embarrassing site to say the least and another issue is the install of the slider trays was attached directly to the floor boards with no support.

I would hope the install people would have had some common sense about this issue also.

Will keep all updated.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:10 PM   #6

THOR #11130
Use the power of the past...they know it's an issue so make sure you remind them. And...be nice! They get their butts reamed enough by thousands (many unjustified)...when someone nice comes along, they love you and jump through hoops for you.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Use the power of the past...they know it's an issue so make sure you remind them. And...be nice! They get their butts reamed enough by thousands (many unjustified)...when someone nice comes along, they love you and jump through hoops for you.
aka you attract more bees with honey than you do with vinegar
Old 01-22-2020, 01:51 AM   #8

State: Arizona
THOR #14127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330jetjoc View Post
Have a '17 3901 Aria.

Issue is the floor boards for the storage compartments are deteriorating at a very alarming rate.

They are all sagging and the floor under the water tank has detached.

Obviously from water and the driving in wet conditions has made all the flooring weak.

Has anyone done any repair and what is the suggestion.

Just a very poor use of a material that shouldn't be in this application from THOR.
I have a '17 3901 as well...was wondering if you could post pics of the issue so I can compare to mine. I don't have boards hanging down or 'sagging' but I have had moisture issues in the basement. Curious what to look for.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:41 AM   #9

THOR #13013
Floors

Hope these pix might be of assistance.

I also have the slider trays that are mounted to the wooden floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8331858D-4B59-4A00-BE37-7406DDE748C3.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	22309   Click image for larger version

Name:	0B61CB8D-46A5-46EC-AE0B-22F199D673E4.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	22310  

Old 01-24-2020, 04:47 AM   #10

THOR #14127
Quote:
Hope these pix might be of assistance.

I also have the slider trays that are mounted to the wooden floor.
Oh my...sorry to see that happened. I will inspect mine carefully and report back what I find. I didn't realize that was such a risk. I also have the slider trays and they are packed with several hundred pounds of materials. Now I am really concerned.

Thanks,
Hunter
Old 01-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #11

THOR #13013
Smile Floor boards

I installed some angle iron between the supports of the storage undercarriage
Seems. To have helped and made my brain not think so much about the eventual outcome.

I suggest using aluminum angle bar can get at Home Depot and attached with sheet metal screws.
I attached the slide roller fittings with spacers and it has definitely improved the structure.

Hope you can see in the picture.

Still awaiting THOR’s response to the deterioration and delamination of the floors.

And I have been the nicest of customer hoping to get a positive response.Click image for larger version

Name:	2F69EC54-0029-4793-A0CF-DDD8D3D31D7C.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	22323
Old 01-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #12

State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I also have used aluminum angle to support the wood structure. I used stainless nuts and bolts to the framework. I have a few compartments that seem to be holding up, and a couple that have sagged quite badly.
Mike
Old 01-26-2020, 11:28 PM   #13

THOR #14127
Thank you for the info and pics. I went ahead a took a couple pics under my 2017 Thor Aria 3901. Looks like the dry Arizona climate and indoor storage are allowing my coach basement floors to hold up ok so far...but I think I am going to proactive install some cross-member bars. A buddy of mine is a skilled welder...may solicit his assistance vs. bolt-ins.

Pics:

Name:	2020-01-24 17.14.38.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	22354

Name:	2020-01-24 17.14.35.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	22355

Name:	2020-01-24 17.14.24.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	22356

Name:	2020-01-24 17.14.18.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	22357
Old 01-27-2020, 01:50 AM   #14

Model: Aria 3601
State: North Carolina
THOR #5972
I have a 2019 Thor Aria 3601. Will this be a problem with mine? Freightliner had to replace our a/c compressor and they said that everything was covered up underneath. We store ours indoors. We are going camping for Valentine's Day at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach, SC and my husband is going to check on our storage compartments prior to leaving. Really appreciate this Forum and all of your help, guidance and suggestions....
Old 01-27-2020, 04:15 AM   #15

THOR #6952
Wow! Thank you for sharing. I also have a 2019 Aria 3901 and wonder if we can expect the same problem. Sounds like this is a major issue and Thor should take of it.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:49 PM   #16

THOR #11130
I would be pro-active and contact Thor before an issue started...especially if you are still under warranty. No one can answer if this "may" happen to you. It's a known issue and there is a resolution. It very well may be Thor will cover modifications to the seal areas...before any damage may occur. If its stored indoors and you're not driving it...I would be the fort you'll have no issues. If you get it out and drive it in the rain...highly probable you "may" have issues, if your unit was constructed in the same manner as the owners with issues. Pro-Active is the path of least resistance.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #17

THOR #13013
Follow up[

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznytfury View Post
Thank you for the info and pics. I went ahead a took a couple pics under my 2017 Thor Aria 3901. Looks like the dry Arizona climate and indoor storage are allowing my coach basement floors to hold up ok so far...but I think I am going to proactive install some cross-member bars. A buddy of mine is a skilled welder...may solicit his assistance vs. bolt-ins.

Pics:

Attachment 22354

Attachment 22355

Attachment 22356

Attachment 22357
I see you also have the slider trays attached to thee wooden (particle) boards.

I was very concerned and that is why I installed the cross-members.

Remember that steel will have long term concerns vs aluminum and the weld points will be and issue.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:38 AM   #18

THOR #14127
Quote:
I see you also have the slider trays attached to thee wooden (particle) boards.

I was very concerned and that is why I installed the cross-members.

Remember that steel will have long term concerns vs aluminum and the weld points will be and issue.
Yea... I think I am going to do the cross-members...for both reasons (sagging and support for the trays).
Old 08-25-2023, 03:41 PM   #19

State: California
THOR #9073
Angry Poor Basement/Water Tank Comprtment Materials & Structural Design

Yes... I am currently addressing another issue with my 2017 Thor Aria 3901. Specifically, our fresh water tank compartment floor is sagging beneath our coach. I inspected the inside of the compartment and discovered that my tank is resting/mounted on a very weak wooden basement floor with no metal supports beneath it. My technician assessed the wood dry rot damage to extend 3/4 of the with of my coach just below the fresh water tank and our water bay area. To mitigate this structural design flaw and poor material choice, we are looking at a $5000 to $6000 repair which will include new basement floor repair, and welding metal support beams below the fresh water tank and waterbay compartments. I could fevert to just repairing the wood flooring for approximately an $1800 repair. Currently, I am working with my insurance company and Extended Service Plan folks in a effort to offset soem of these repair cost. Very disappointing and another costly repair on this unit. We are looking at $13,000 in repair cost so far this year due to poor materials and structural issues on this unit.

Tags
storage compartment