Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #41
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
The first picture is the fan at the front and the second is with the Maxx Fan cover on the rear fan of the coach.
Axis Earl ! Monday, we visited CW while waiting for install of new windshield...
among other items we purchased on sale, we bought MAXAIR vent covers.

Ron inspected our roof yesterday and found, all the sealant around the Vent and 4 tall globs of sealant near each corner..which he did not mess with, at the time. (are these consealed mounting bolts?)
Having read your install information, we are thinking that those are mounting bolts for the Vent Cover.
Is there a difference between the Vent Cover you ordered and the Vent Cover we purchased at CW?
I am attaching photos of Rons investigation a few minutes ago...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sealant around vent cover.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	2848Click image for larger version

Name:	glob of sealant.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	2849Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent Cover.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	2850
(photo 2, is closeup of tall globs near each corner)
What is your educated opinion ?

Thank you !

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:31 PM   #42

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Oh no, leave those sealed areas alone!

Your covers should have come with little L brackets that you mount onto the vertical part under the vent lid. This will require drilling small holes for each of the 4 brackets. The cover mounts to the brackets with a small bolt to each bracket.

This is one of the easiest mods, once you get yourself, a drill and a couple of wrenches on the roof.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:41 PM   #43
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Oh no, leave those sealed areas alone!

Your covers should have come with little L brackets that you mount onto the vertical part under the vent lid. This will require drilling small holes for each of the 4 brackets. The cover mounts to the brackets with a small bolt to each bracket.

This is one of the easiest mods, once you get yourself, a drill and a couple of wrenches on the roof.
Mr S ! Yes they did come with the brackets...however, those raised globs, interfere with the placement of the vent cover...
Ron figures he will notch the edge of the vent cover to allow for those ..
whatever they are ... and then the cover will set in place to be attached to the brackets. He watched the YouTube video regarding install of the vent cover.

Thank you !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #44

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Those "globs" are threaded nuts under self leveling sealant. Maybe I am missing something, but properly mounted, the cover should clear the sealant "globs" easily. No triming should be necessary.

This video shows the way I mounted mine:

Hope this helps!
Old 08-31-2016, 09:22 PM   #45

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
I just installed Camco cover and worked great. There is a gap between cover and roof because of the caulk but that is the way they want it to fit. I did no trimming and very happy with out come. I left vent open with heavy rains and had no water in cab. Good product.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:14 PM   #46
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Those "globs" are threaded nuts under self leveling sealant. Maybe I am missing something, but properly mounted, the cover should clear the sealant "globs" easily. No triming should be necessary.

Hope this helps!
thanks for the video ... Ron had viewed the MAXXAIR video which is similar to the Camco install ..
He has no intentions of cutting or destroying the sealant..knowing very well the purpose it serves.
However, as the photos which we posted show..the globs (covered nuts) are
directly in the way of allowing the bracket to attach to the Vent Cover at the proper place/there are 3 options/...just a bit of a displacement..therefore, when he does the install, if necessary, after he attaches the brackets, he will notch the plastic on the Vent Cover to all for the cover to fit properly.
He understands that there is the gap needed for drainage etc.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-31-2016, 10:29 PM   #47
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
It is really hard to get that sealant off. I wouldn't worry too much about it (I've installed 3 Fantastic Fans in prior campers, getting the sealant off was the hardest part of the job.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:51 PM   #48
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
It is really hard to get that sealant off. I wouldn't worry too much about it (I've installed 3 Fantastic Fans in prior campers, getting the sealant off was the hardest part of the job.)
Thanks Jamie for your feedback...
Ron has no intentions of removing the sealant..just working around it if necessary...it is minor..
He thinks, once he gets the brackets in place, it should be ok.

in addition, I read previous posts in this thread about mounting these..and apparently, older models of the MaxxAir did not have a bug screen. This one does...a nice thing to have !

Someone posted, in their opinion, they are not effective...however, if used
like MaxxAir suggests with the vent in front open, and the rear vent open and fan on...it draws air through the motorhome.

We do not plan to use the vents while driving down the road, as the front a/c is sufficient for us.

Looking forward to these covers...we have not installed them on our previous motorhomes !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-01-2016, 12:37 AM   #49

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Axis Earl ! Monday, we visited CW while waiting for install of new windshield...
among other items we purchased on sale, we bought MAXAIR vent covers.

Ron inspected our roof yesterday and found, all the sealant around the Vent and 4 tall globs of sealant near each corner..which he did not mess with, at the time. (are these consealed mounting bolts?)
Having read your install information, we are thinking that those are mounting bolts for the Vent Cover.
Is there a difference between the Vent Cover you ordered and the Vent Cover we purchased at CW?
I am attaching photos of Rons investigation a few minutes ago...
Attachment 2848Attachment 2849Attachment 2850
(photo 2, is closeup of tall globs near each corner)
What is your educated opinion ?

Thank you !
Hello Folks,
I have read the follow-up comments about those four "globs" and the concerns... First, what you bought is the same brand, MaxAir, but not the same model. I bought the "fanmate featuring the EZClip by Maxxair". My model is the white one #855.

The great thing about the install was that each cover has four big "EZ Clips" looking like large cotter pins in a way. To install, the covers have holed notches that fit over those "globs" and the clips get pushed through them, thus holding them in place and easy to remove for cleaning if necessary. You can also order the filter/bug screens if you want them, which I didn't bother with. Again, NO drilling and only took minutes to install.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:39 AM   #50

THOR #3483
Quote:
Hello Folks,
I have read the follow-up comments about those four "globs" and the concerns... First, what you bought is the same brand, MaxAir, but not the same model. I bought the "fanmate featuring the EZClip by Maxxair". My model is the white one #855.

The great thing about the install was that each cover has four big "EZ Clips" looking like large cotter pins in a way. To install, the covers have holed notches that fit over those "globs" and the clips get pushed through them, thus holding them in place and easy to remove for cleaning if necessary. You can also order the filter/bug screens if you want them, which I didn't bother with. Again, NO drilling and only took minutes to install.
Oh yes, looking at your pictures, your model does NOT have the EAZY CLIP option meaning that you would have to mount brackets and drill into the existing vertical opening.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:57 AM   #51
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Oh yes, looking at your pictures, your model does NOT have the EAZY CLIP option meaning that you would have to mount brackets and drill into the existing vertical opening.
Thank you for your comments !
Ron has it figured out and will, probably, do the install tomorrow.
By the way...our vent covers came with the bug screen !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-01-2016, 01:42 AM   #52

THOR #3483
Quote:
Thank you for your comments !
Ron has it figured out and will, probably, do the install tomorrow.
By the way...our vent covers came with the bug screen !
You might want to look at the difference in the size of what you bought at CW and the model I bought which is bigger, allowing for the vent to be opened wider. The ease of installing these with the clips vs. what you will have to do would make it worth taking them back in my humble opinion. The funny thing is that these are now standard on the 17 models.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:27 AM   #53
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
You might want to look at the difference in the size of what you bought at CW and the model I bought which is bigger, allowing for the vent to be opened wider. The ease of installing these with the clips vs. what you will have to do would make it worth taking them back in my humble opinion. The funny thing is that these are now standard on the 17 models.
Thank you ! Re the '17 models..nice addition.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-01-2016, 04:14 AM   #54

THOR #3483
Talking Picture showing EZ clips

Picture of MaxxAir cover with EZ Clips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1079.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2854  
Old 09-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #55
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Picture of MaxxAir cover with EZ Clips.
thankyou
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #56

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Mississippi
THOR #5561
Is there a way to tell what kind of vents/fans we have without climbing on the roof so I know what kind of vent covers to buy?

We have a 2016 Thor Freedom Elite. The living area and bedroom are vents only and the bathroom vent has a fan that only blows out.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #57

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosbirn View Post
Is there a way to tell what kind of vents/fans we have without climbing on the roof so I know what kind of vent covers to buy?

We have a 2016 Thor Freedom Elite. The living area and bedroom are vents only and the bathroom vent has a fan that only blows out.

Thanks!
My Maxxaire fans had the same name on them near the fan switch.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #58
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosbirn View Post

Thanks!
If you still have your window sticker, it should say which vent fans you have.
We DO like the addition of the vent covers .
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #59

THOR #5561
Quote:
If you still have your window sticker, it should say which vent fans you have.
We DO like the addition of the vent covers .
We just bought the RV from an older couple 2 weeks ago who purchased it in May this year. They left the window sticker on the window so it's pretty faded but I'll check it tonight. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2017, 05:14 AM   #60

THOR #5561
Quote:
My Maxxaire fans had the same name on them near the fan switch.

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

The window sticker did not say what brand ceiling vent fans we have but there is a label inside the fan that says "Ventline by Dexter Axle Co. model V2094". I guess we have a cheapie. [emoji3]

Now we are thinking about replacing the bathroom fan entirely (before buying a roof vent cover) with one that operates with a remote, if that's even possible.

Does anyone know if our fan can be easily swapped with a better one, particularly one that doesn't have a hand-operated crank ?