Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-09-2024, 10:31 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
JBird's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
Posts: 4
THOR #30849
Auto leveler recommendations

Proud owner of a 2018 Quantum RQ29 and wanting to install auto levelers. Seeking recommendations. Thanks in advance.

__________________
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 11:36 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
Posts: 367
THOR #13224
IMHO EQ Systems in Michigan near Elkhart
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
__________________
Coveman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 12:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 6,008
THOR #13058
Send a PM to the Chateau Nomad. If he does not see this thread this you may search the site from user Chateau Nomad with keyword Bigfoot.

He has been there, dun that, and really likes the Bigfoot system. He has installed the system in his TMC Class C. IMO he qualifies as Expert on the same and can even share his cost to install along with operation. Good luck
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 12:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 4,538
THOR #16721
Thanks Dk. I'm absolutely no expert... but I like things that just WORK as designed without irritating problems.

I tend to research ad nauseum when doing major projects... the levelers fit into that. I found that most people (NOT all) tend to use manual leveling even though they installed an auto leveling system. Some folks have no issues at all with the automatic version, but I heard many reports of the auto systems giving "herky jerky" operation, raising the motorhome more than necessary and just quirky things.

Being the cheapskate I am, I decided on the manual "Platinum" system. I went with Big Foot because they have a factory install facility in White Pigeon MI about 5 hours from me. I DID NOT want to do a self install bolt-on setup... I wanted them welded by the first hand experts. A quick overnight at their facility and done.

Full disclosure... about a week after the install one of the jacks would drift down ever so slight... maybe 1/2"... enough to trip the 'jacks down" warning.

A call to their customer service resulted in instructions to fully extend all four jacks - basically lifting the motorhome nearly off it's wheels! Then let it sit for an hour or so. Then retract. This bleeds any residual air which may be trapped in the lines. FIXED! I think it's been four years now, and NO issues whatsoever since. They just WORK!

If interested, search Big Foot levelers (Quadra Systems)... they have a website detailing pricing. And their customer service is very responsive... a rarity today.
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 12:43 PM   #5
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
Posts: 8,896
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
IMHO EQ Systems in Michigan near Elkhart
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
I have the EQ SmartLevel system in the Accolade and even though they are owned by Lippert itís noting like the pos system Thor installed in the Challenger. This system is much smoother and Auto Level is a breeze.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 01:52 PM   #6
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 15,232
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
Proud owner of a 2018 Quantum RQ29 and wanting to install auto levelers. Seeking recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Third thread in a month on the same subject:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...cks-37194.html
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B BU TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 12:39 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 6,008
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Thanks Dk. I'm absolutely no expert... but I like things that just WORK as designed without irritating problems.

I tend to research ad nauseum when doing major projects... the levelers fit into that. I found that most people (NOT all) tend to use manual leveling even though they installed an auto leveling system. Some folks have no issues at all with the automatic version, but I heard many reports of the auto systems giving "herky jerky" operation, raising the motorhome more than necessary and just quirky things.

Being the cheapskate I am, I decided on the manual "Platinum" system. I went with Big Foot because they have a factory install facility in White Pigeon MI about 5 hours from me. I DID NOT want to do a self install bolt-on setup... I wanted them welded by the first hand experts. A quick overnight at their facility and done.

Full disclosure... about a week after the install one of the jacks would drift down ever so slight... maybe 1/2"... enough to trip the 'jacks down" warning.

A call to their customer service resulted in instructions to fully extend all four jacks - basically lifting the motorhome nearly off it's wheels! Then let it sit for an hour or so. Then retract. This bleeds any residual air which may be trapped in the lines. FIXED! I think it's been four years now, and NO issues whatsoever since. They just WORK!

If interested, search Big Foot levelers (Quadra Systems)... they have a website detailing pricing. And their customer service is very responsive... a rarity today.
Your post proves I was right that you qualify as an Expert on Bigfoot Leveling systems. Experience crossing state lines to do these systems likely give you some further Federal Compliant Certifications. You have no argument against the same; else while I will invoke my 1st Amendment right to exercise free speech to share your expertise skillset over a public domain
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 02:01 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
JBird's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maryland
Posts: 4
THOR #30849
Thanks for the responses
__________________
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 03:33 PM   #9
It's 'towed', not toad.
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 7,777
THOR #13932
Everyone who loves theirs loves them regardless of brand.
Everyone who hates theirs hates theirs regardless of brand.

I'm never sure if people with singular experience are the best to ask of multiple unexperienced experiences.
But I've not found any source better short of the Project Farm channel on YouTube.

I love my John Deere little tractor. I cannot add or detract from that because it's all I know.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 03:49 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 4,538
THOR #16721
Branding aside, hydraulic systems have been in existence for over 100 years... I could confidently say they've become a commodity. Over that 100+ year span I'm certain several generations of brainiac engineers have milked every improvement possible.

All hydraulic leveling systems on motorhomes are essentially copies of other systems... priced according to how many shortcuts were taken to maintain a profit and avoid patent/copyright if any still exist.

And it's those SHORTCUTS in manufacturing that will haunt YOU the consumer. Without having the results of Project Farm testing EVERY system on the Farmabago, most have to roll the dice and rely on first hand experience of consumer experiences.
__________________
Be creative, and have a fun life...
...and don't be an @**hole! -Ken Block
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 04:09 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
paulwadley's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
Posts: 2,562
THOR #12698
When I had our 2018 Thor Siesta built on a MB chassis, I had the Equalizer System installed and they worked great. Now with our 2022 Thor Miramar, I have the Lippert System and it works very good. No issues with either system. I have heard good reports on the Big Foot System too.

Paul
__________________
paulwadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 07:58 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
Posts: 175
THOR #18675
I have had 32ft and 24ft Class C campers with BigFoot leveling systems. Both were automatic. However, I usually level it manually, as I can level it lower than on automatic. The Bigfoot systems are bulletproof except for [my fault] letting a hydrolic line get too close to the hot exhaust, causing a leak [and lots of smoke but no fire].
__________________
JimC
"Never promise more than you can give. Always give more than you promise."
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 09:31 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds 28Z
State: Florida
Posts: 20
THOR #30597
Looking at the threads, reviews and comments, recently upgraded our 28Z with the Big Foot hydraulic auto levelers... truly impressive, easy one button and it's level. We also have some USA Jack Blocks we place under the leveler to aleviate full extensions on the struts. Could not be happier!
__________________
28Z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 01:55 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 4,538
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Z24 View Post
Looking at the threads, reviews and comments, recently upgraded our 28Z with the Big Foot hydraulic auto levelers... truly impressive, easy one button and it's level. We also have some USA Jack Blocks we place under the leveler to aleviate full extensions on the struts. Could not be happier!
I carry about a dozen 1' squares of stall mat. Depending on how unlevel, I might stack up to 4 under a leveling foot. Mountain camping often doesn't give the option of just moving to a more level spot. We make do. But I can always get perfectly level!
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 01:39 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
Posts: 175
THOR #18675
I carry 6- 8x8x2in wood blocks in my class C w Big Foot system so I don't have to fully extend the cylinders in a really unlevel area. At my home driveway, I need two of the blocks under each rear cylinder to level it. Those home blocks are screwed together to make an 8x8x4in set of blocks. A 1/2in ring is screwed into the blocks. I shaped a 3ft long, 1/4 in rod, with a hook to pull the blocks from under the camper without getting on my hands and knees.
JC
__________________
JimC
"Never promise more than you can give. Always give more than you promise."
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 01:52 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 4,538
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I carry 6- 8x8x2in wood blocks in my class C w Big Foot system so I don't have to fully extend the cylinders in a really unlevel area. At my home driveway, I need two of the blocks under each rear cylinder to level it. Those home blocks are screwed together to make an 8x8x4in set of blocks. A 1/2in ring is screwed into the blocks. I shaped a 3ft long, 1/4 in rod, with a hook to pull the blocks from under the camper without getting on my hands and knees.
JC
Mind posting a pic of your rod & ring setup? That's an excellent idea! If you don't mind I might try to copycat your setup with my stall mats. I HATE getting down on my knees to position those under the jack feet! It's really the only unpleasant part of leveling... so if I could fix that...
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 09:25 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
Posts: 175
THOR #18675
Rings & rod

Here are the blocks with the rings. The rod is in the RV in storage so I can't picture it. However, get a 1/4 or 3/8 in diameter rod from HD, Lowes, or Minards. Bend it to a right angle about two inches from the end. On the other end, bend an angle about 80 degrees three inches for a handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240624_105134.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	46642  
__________________
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 10:48 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 4,538
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Here are the blocks with the rings. The rod is in the RV in storage so I can't picture it. However, get a 1/4 or 3/8 in diameter rod from HD, Lowes, or Minards. Bend it to a right angle about two inches from the end. On the other end, bend an angle about 80 degrees three inches for a handle.
Cool! Thanks!
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2