Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2021, 07:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
Autoformer Install wiring

So I got a Autoformer years ago when I first got the coach but I decided I want to "permanently" mount it on the coach. This is mostly b/c I dont want it stolen and so I dont have to lug it around. This one: https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...er-with-surge/

I have an idea to mount it behind one of the basement compartments and cut out a small window inside it so I can see the lights from inside the compartment. It sounds confusing i know.... maybe i'll post a pic of the idea later.

My question is this....
Since I have a server running virtualization, a NAS, laptop, and other electric-sensitive devices, I dont really trust the generator power; I need "cleaner" power than normal. Should I wire up the autoformer to:
1. Just the shore plug (shore-autoformer-transfer switch-breaker panel.)?
2: In between the common of the transfer switch so it's doing it's thing to the generator power also (shore OR generator-transfer switch-autoformer-breaker panel)?

Old 04-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I believe that normally the surge protector is for spikes and lows from shore power pedestals. It is to protect the motor home from issues coming into it in the event the campground shore power is hit from a storm or the pedestal has an electrical issue. I would think that generator produced power from your generator is a safe source on a constant level. I never gave it a thought that the on board generator could be an issue.

Paul
Old 04-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #3

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
Put it just ahead of your power distribution panel so regardless where the power is coming from it runs through the auto-transformer. Your other option would be to determine the circuits powering your electronics and then separating those through the auto-transformer. Both options will require some electrical wiring to do it correctly.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:46 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
So I got a Autoformer years ago when I first got the coach but I decided I want to "permanently" mount it on the coach. This is mostly b/c I dont want it stolen and so I dont have to lug it around. This one: https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...er-with-surge/

I have an idea to mount it behind one of the basement compartments and cut out a small window inside it so I can see the lights from inside the compartment. It sounds confusing i know.... maybe i'll post a pic of the idea later.

My question is this....
Since I have a server running virtualization, a NAS, laptop, and other electric-sensitive devices, I dont really trust the generator power; I need "cleaner" power than normal. Should I wire up the autoformer to:
1. Just the shore plug (shore-autoformer-transfer switch-breaker panel.)?
2: In between the common of the transfer switch so it's doing it's thing to the generator power also (shore OR generator-transfer switch-autoformer-breaker panel)?
This is a very good piece of equipment. A must-have as far as I am concerned. But understand it is a voltage booster. NOT a voltage conditioner. that is a different piece of equipment. You need to buy the interior terminate wiring kit to install it inside. Install it before the ATS.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Your generator produces a pure sine wave just as generators have done for almost 2 centuries. If you are running that type of computer equipment in your RV then you need a good UPS regardless of your autoformer installation.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
This is a very good piece of equipment. A must-have as far as I am concerned. But understand it is a voltage booster. NOT a voltage conditioner. that is a different piece of equipment. You need to buy the interior terminate wiring kit to install it inside. Install it before the ATS.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #7

State: North Dakota
THOR #23005
Good advice. A common issue for servers and related gear would be a cheap (think RV) transfer switch, A/C or microwave kicking in/out and lord knows what is coming from shore power. If your servers and other electronics are critical make sure you get not just a UPS but one that has "always on" or "full sine wave" output. The inexpensive ones just go to battery on power loss - the more serious ones produce their own output from whatever garbage comes in.

All that said nowadays if possible I would run all of that in AWS or another cloud provider and instead spend the same cash on connectivity upgrades. I will be going the way of MIMO cell antennas on the TV mast and a high end cell router like a Pepwave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Your generator produces a pure sine wave just as generators have done for almost 2 centuries. If you are running that type of computer equipment in your RV then you need a good UPS regardless of your autoformer installation.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:21 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I installed my autoformer on the shore power input only as I find my generator is adequate in all respects. It would be no more difficult to install it downstream of the ATS if you felt the need. The hardwire kit you can buy from Hughes runs about $50 but you can buy the same parts at a big box store for less than half of that. It doesn’t actually hardwire the thing, it is just a set of plugs and outlets that you wire into the coach so that the portable autoformer can plug in. I don’t always use mine, typically only plug it I. If I’m seeing low voltage. Which I check with a digital voltmeter plugged into my bathroom outlet. (It also is a perfect night light). BTW, as noted above the autoformer is only a voltage booster although he modern ones do include a basic surge suppressor. I added a hardwired Progressive EMS on the advice of the Hughes folks as well.