Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2018, 11:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #10040
Aux heater

Has anyone made a aux heater to heat the coach using the existing hot water heater. Like using some small radiator with a pump to circulate the water from the hot water tank with a blower behind the radiator. Just a thought.

jdmaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Not a bad idea. But sounds complicated. You need to invent this and make millions!

Migth be to many built-in electric and gas heaters that you can add to your RV for very little money and they are easy to install.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #3

THOR #10040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Not a bad idea. But sounds complicated. You need to invent this and make millions!

Migth be to many built-in electric and gas heaters that you can add to your RV for very little money and they are easy to install.
Well I was thinking that you are already using electric or gas to keep the water hot so how much more would it take to use the hot water to heat your coach or trailer.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Why not just use the same electricity and plug in a heater and bypass the wear and tear on your water heater? Sounds like using fossil fuel to boil corn to make ethanol. We only turn the hot water heater on when it's shower time. The insulation keeps it hot enough during the day for dish washing,hand washing, etc. I did have a houseboat once that had a heat exchanger for hot water when the engine was running but the baby water heater in the campers would not turn off.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #5

THOR #10040
Ok I see your point but what if you leave your water heater on all day. I read some where most people do. I'll have to put my watt consumption meter on and compare
Old 10-24-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You've got s really neat idea cooking!
I think that the key to a solution will be if you find a workable solution to the plumbing arrangements.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmaag View Post
Ok I see your point but what if you leave your water heater on all day. I read some where most people do. I'll have to put my watt consumption meter on and compare
So when you take this hot water and circulate it wherever don't you think it will cool down the water in the water heater faster causing it to run more and consume more energy? What have you gained? Not a thing.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:51 AM   #8

Model: PALAZZO 33.3
State: Illinois
THOR #5696
School buses have done this for years They have hoses off the radiator that run to the back to a heater core with a fan You could find one at a junkyard or on line and run hot water to it from your water heater Build a small box with a multi speed fan and there you go You could put a tee in the hot water line under the sink or something The problem would be a return line You have to get water circulating and back to the water heater Small pond pump for example Something like this...

https://www.millsupply.com/heater-co...40.php?p=97265
Retired Firefighter/Paramedic, Truck Driver
C WITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:29 AM   #9

THOR #11130
It would work. But busses and boats have engines running all the time...it's ancillary power. With the MH you would need to run water heater full time as its too small
Old 10-25-2018, 01:42 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
When the price point comes down on tankless/on demand water heaters, that's probably all you will see in the future.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:08 AM   #11

THOR #10040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
So when you take this hot water and circulate it wherever don't you think it will cool down the water in the water heater faster causing it to run more and consume more energy? What have you gained? Not a thing.
Yes it will cool down, daaaa. But what is the current draw of the water heater compared to a electric heater heating the rv. Or do you know this already.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:10 AM   #12

THOR #10040
Quote:
Originally Posted by C WITT View Post
School buses have done this for years They have hoses off the radiator that run to the back to a heater core with a fan You could find one at a junkyard or on line and run hot water to it from your water heater Build a small box with a multi speed fan and there you go You could put a tee in the hot water line under the sink or something The problem would be a return line You have to get water circulating and back to the water heater Small pond pump for example Something like this...

https://www.millsupply.com/heater-co...40.php?p=97265
That looks like a good idea.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:12 AM   #13

THOR #10040
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
It would work. But busses and boats have engines running all the time...it's ancillary power. With the MH you would need to run water heater full time as its too small
Yes I agree. My point being would the water heater draw less current than a space heater
Old 10-25-2018, 05:40 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Yes I agree. My point being would the water heater draw less current than a space heater
It's not current, it's energy. Way more energy losses with the water heater "idea" simply due to it being outside, let alone the energy required to circulate the water. An electric space heater would be much more efficient, simpler and cheaper.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #15

THOR #11130
"Yes it will cool down, daaaa"

Not a subject worth getting into pissing contest over...just do it. You're right...it sounds like the greatest idea since sliced bread. You're a genius. You should contact NASA and share this with them. Simply brilliant. Is that better?
Old 10-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #16

THOR #10040
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"Yes it will cool down, daaaa"

Not a subject worth getting into pissing contest over...just do it. You're right...it sounds like the greatest idea since sliced bread. You're a genius. You should contact NASA and share this with them. Simply brilliant. Is that better?
Sorry I brought it up, just a thought
Old 10-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #17

THOR #11130
What makes this such a great forum is the feedback...sometimes it goes for pages and pages. Other times a quick fix to a problem takes place. There's lots of great wisdom and experience here. Feel free to bring anything to the table...it's all worthy of discussion. Just be careful about slamming people if they disagree or challenge your idea in a different direction. Positive end results only come through thorough dialog and respect. Heat exchange is a great transfer of energy from something already in motion. Your idea no doubt would work. It's just a debatable issue as to whether or not it would be cost effective considering the size of the small water heaters in RV's and the quality of them in general. Don't apologize for bringing the subject up...just be prepared for the dialog and respect other's opinions. Peace!!
Old 11-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6418
My 1989 Chieftain had a heater in the back that was hooked to the engine for when you were driving. It also had a coil in the Water heater that was hooked to the engine, when you got to the campground you had hot water (wish all MH had this). If that system could be circulated it would heat the MH, maybe.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #19

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4064
Quote:
Has anyone made a aux heater to heat the coach using the existing hot water heater. Like using some small radiator with a pump to circulate the water from the hot water tank with a blower behind the radiator. Just a thought.

Our first motorhome, 1978 Travco, Had hoses running from engine cooling system to the bedroom area of the rv with two two small radiators. One went bad and I replace it with one from Auto parts store that they sold for the heater in a pickup truck. It was an exact match and worked like a champ. So, its already been invented.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:56 AM   #20

THOR #10040
Quote:
Originally Posted by flrockytop View Post
Our first motorhome, 1978 Travco, Had hoses running from engine cooling system to the bedroom area of the rv with two two small radiators. One went bad and I replace it with one from Auto parts store that they sold for the heater in a pickup truck. It was an exact match and worked like a champ. So, its already been invented.
Not trying to invent it. Just wanted to use the hot water heater while camping to help heat the MH. Thought it might be cheaper that a electric heater. Especially when parking long term and they charge for electric