Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
Awning Support

On the newer awnings, the ones without much frame support, even the slightest puff of wind causes a lot of movement on the awning. What has anyone tried that helps support the awning to allow you to use it in even a slight breeze?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
They are designed to move freely with the shocks/struts on each arm, but they do make tie down straps with springs designed for the newer awnings.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
I have been very cautious with mine, when winds are over 12mphr I usually retract it as fear to loose it. I have the tie downs but am not to comfortable using them. My former c class had the non electric motor so was easy to use the tie downs as the supports were heavy duty.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:36 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I use the straps with springs on ours... Bought them for the older style on my 2000 Infinity (old style rigid manual) - and moved them to our 2014 Hurricane (newer style powered).
I wouldn't be without them... (of course you do need to be able to drive (twist) the stakes into the ground - so may not work on packed gravel, etc... Only ran into that once.)
I see some sets with straight stakes - I think those would pull out too easily... Mine use the 'dog stake' as I know it - spiral down into the ground.

With the tie downs - I have no issue/concerns leaving the awning out up to 20mph... If we see predictions of 25 or more - we roll it in to be safe.
It has been accidentally out with higher winds and still very solid.
When camping for long periods (months) there is more 'stuff' outside to move in or put away when rolling up the awning - so doing it less often is good...

(Of course for 'Matthew' - we rolled in the awning... pulled in the slides... and put away or tied down everything else... but that is an extreme.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:56 PM   #5

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I can see the tie downs helping by supporting the upward force which would break the brackets attached to the wall. Just another gizmo I need to buy.

Although, this kind of defeats the benefit of the reduced profile frame
Old 02-23-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We usually just pull ours in. With the power awnings its so easy to just press a button and its in...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:34 PM   #7

THOR #3610
I've had bellow up so far that the arms were against the side like they were rolled up & no issues, I didn't like it, but didn't hurt it. I did find the the awning arms had 4 sets of holes but they only used the top & bottom holes so I added #12 × 1 1/4" stainless screws to all the holes & makes me feel more confident.
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-26-2017, 04:13 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Delaware
THOR #2181
Over on the Forest River forums someone had designed and builds, for sale, brackets and poles to help hold the awnings in place in the winds. Now everyone might not like them but just showing another option, some by the brackets and make their own poles, will http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...85132.htmlpost the link hope that's ok.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
For Sale: Awning hold down poles. - Forest River Forums
Nope link didn't work, here is the correct one
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #10

THOR #3610
In my opinion that's not where I want the support, it's on the fabric ends where you use to put the DeFlappers to stop the fabric for popping/snapping. It looks like great support for the arms though.
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
You probably have a Carefree of Colorado Latitude patio awning like I have. If it moves to violently it will retract automatically. There is a warning in the owners manual that states "do not hang or tie anything to the awning". The motor end of the awning contains a solid state "g" meter than senses movement. When the awning's movement exceeds the programed amount three times with in 20 seconds the awning will automatically retract. As a safety feature, the awning will not extend or retract with the engine ignition on. I found that out the hard way ($120).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:37 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Delaware
THOR #2181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
In my opinion that's not where I want the support, it's on the fabric ends where you use to put the DeFlappers to stop the fabric for popping/snapping. It looks like great support for the arms though.
He is also now making a flapper system just now sure if he is ready with it, I have the brackets and poles but my awning is not a auto retract, without poles if just using straps you still get a bounce so the poles with the straps create a down pressure to stop the bounce. A lot of us on that board have them and are pleased with them just trying to offer some info as the new awnings are not as strong, kind of miss my old one at times.