Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Cheap Heat Sys.

We're fulltime so need heat until we get south. Our fireplace and ceramic heater worked great last year but doesn't heat basement areas. I've been trying to figure a way to run furnace fan only, to heat basement. I just remembered reading about Cheap Heat system and sounds perfect ,anybody have experience with it? Does it work, will it fit and any installers in Pennsylvania or Florida? Thanks for any input.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If the furnace is ducted into the basement: why not tap into that ductwork, and add a separate fan?
Old 10-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #3

THOR #13399
Yes heat ducts are in basement,I've been trying to figure a way to run just the heater fan. Could just tap into fan and run continuously. Still looking for best ideas.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #4

THOR #13399
It's a lot more than a $15 dollar milk house heater,it ties directly to you existing thermostat set it and forget it. They also have an electric direct replacement for your propane heater that is supposed to be very quiet and efficient.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
We're fulltime so need heat until we get south. Our fireplace and ceramic heater worked great last year but doesn't heat basement areas. I've been trying to figure a way to run furnace fan only, to heat basement. I just remembered reading about Cheap Heat system and sounds perfect ,anybody have experience with it? Does it work, will it fit and any installers in Pennsylvania or Florida? Thanks for any input.
The cheap heat system has been widely used in TT's and 5th Wheels for a number of years

Only one benefit and that is not having to change propane bottles and if you are paying for the KW's then you are going to pay more for heat so cheap heat is a misnomer and a marketing gimmick

Simply a big resistant heater like many of us have for the backup or emergency heat strips in our heat pumps, nothing more and nothing less

Efficient sure, as is all resistant heat, cheap? Not many places in the US where you can get KW's for less than .15 and many parks catching on and giving you a meter for each site

3409 BTU per KW so unless you are paying a lot for propane and you will in many parks then it is really up to where you go and what is available

One thing for sure with the cheap heat and winter camping you have to have 50 amp service and good 50 amp service or you might just get a tad cold

Cheap Heat truly is very misleading, it is cheap only to purchase