Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2015, 04:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Axis/Vegas 24.2 Accessories

Thought I'd start a 24.2 thread for some accessories and updates to make using our new RV more enjoyable. I like things that save time and hassles.

Our journey started when the RV bay got an Axis 24.2. First time to extend the awning and experiance push button control, sure won’t take long to get used to this new routine!

One of the first things we got for the Axis was a toad or two… The first one was a Ford Focus many months before getting a motorhome to pull it. After deciding on and ordering a 24.2 sight unseen, the toad decision swung back to the simplicity and versatility of a Jeep like we had many years back behind a former RV. Part of this decision was the hoops to jump through for making the Focus easily towable.

Every RV seems to get levels added within the first couple days. Just happened to have these in a tote being transferred to the new rig.

Had a scan gage from a previous vehicle and having access to all that data is handy so I figured why not give it a shot in the Axis. Seems to work ok, but this mount point is not easily visible in my driving position (lean forward to view)!

GPS suction mount works reasonably well on the smooth dash trim. The toad brake controller found a spot where the manual engage feels most natural. Space between the dash and the doghouse seemed like such a waste so some left over divider trays were attached with double sticky.

The camera display got a temporary shroud to help visibility on those bright sunny days. This was a quick plexiglass bend and rough cut just to see if it helps. It does seem to help some, so I’ll add making a better one out of carbon fiber to my to-do someday list.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:50 AM   #2

THOR #1944
More...

I’ve never understood why 751 locks are used on so many RVs. Counted up the outside locks (11) and measured one as instructed. I ordered 12 all keyed the same but during install discovered that the shower door lock has a shorter cylinder so only 10 of them got replaced.

Picked up a little metal rack with hooks and lined it… The intent here was to keep a flashlight handy for use in seeing the panel labels. Also we typically mount a hook by the door for dog leashes.

Works great… Very handy!

A moose got stuck to the bathroom counter to hold brushes.

Hooks are handy!

Old 06-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #3

THOR #1944
Access Panels Annoyed Me!

The access panel to the hot water valves required removal of 4 screws and this was simply not acceptable to me. It doesn’t make sense to me why a manufacture would make access so inconvenient?

This panel got a simple solution to easy access, by using magnets that I happened to already have stuck to the garage refrigerator. An old button found with a metal detector used as a pull knob.

Another panel for access to the water pump under that bathroom sink got the same magnet treatment but an old shell casing was used here as its pull.

The worst panel access design has to be the one for the fresh water tank drain valve! This is probably the most used valve on the rig and the most difficult to access because the big compartment needs to be emptied for taking that full panel out.

The thought of being able to see the tank water level entered my head … so a clear piece of acrylic got cut to fit. A hole cut for access to the valve without removing the panel. This hole was outlined with strip magnets and then a facing layer cut to accommodate slightly offset magnetic attraction.

A slightly oversized piece of acrylic stuck to the magnets made a perfect access panel for the drain valve area. This panel doesn’t need a grab knob because the edge works for easy removal.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:55 AM   #4

THOR #1944
A short follow-on to the drain valve access...

The fresh water drain tube is short and way up there! First drain was a messy ordeal A piece of flexible tubing that happened to be sitting on a workbench fit perfectly snug over the exit tube. This tubing was from a fresh water fill.

On the end I attached a quick release free flow hose end and it too was almost a perfect fit but required just a little epoxy to ensure it stayed attached for travel.

Now it’s easy to drain water by hose directly to flower beds.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:57 AM   #5

THOR #1944
Sewer Tube under 24.2

A couple accessories lined up needed better access for installation so I had to figure out how to make a bit more room under there. Two full sets of leveler blocks and some wood blocks made just enough room to wiggle under there using a creeper.

It was clear right away that the 24.2, like the other RUV models we saw didn’t have stinky slinky storage that I’d like. So I pondered vinyl square fence post and other tube ideas but when I saw a ready made 64” storage tube at CW one day I figured it would be the easiest to work with and was less $ to boot.

Drilled 2 holes in the frame for using the tube mounting bracket on one side.

Some strapping bolted to existing holes worked fine for holding the other end up.

Cut a bit of the lower skirt flange for easy end cap removal and unrestricted sewer hose access.

A brace from the compartment box to the tube bracket helps keep everything lined up and eliminate vibrations.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:59 AM   #6

THOR #1944
Trac Bar on 24.2

This job would be so much easier with MORE room to wiggle!

A Trac Bar fitting took way longer than I was expecting. The frame bracket and the cross brace needed notching so that the mount could go maximum rearward to get the bushing angles near lining up.

The bracket on the shock side needed to have a hole drilled and tap’d for relocating the brake line bracket.

This tail wag eliminator made such a huge difference in handling! Night and day difference with toad. This coupled with adding castor shims for a net result of +5.5-5.8 took care of making the drive a pure pleasure vs. annoying work.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:01 AM   #7

THOR #1944
Battery Fill, Propane T and Tow Bar

I had a battery fill system from a previous RV for 6V batteries. But since I couldn’t see a way to easily swap out to 6V due to box hight restriction a dual 12V kit was needed. Because the last 2 cells are not easily accessible this went to the must do list because the RV is usually connected to shore power.

Many years ago I got a propane tee kit and sold the RV before mounting it. So it sat on a shelf because the last couple RVs were already plumed for external connection. The Axis didn’t have an external tap and the tank looked like a prime candidate for the kit!

The mount was simple. So handy! The BBQ seems to work better too ...

The tow bar stuck out farther than I liked so I shortened its extension length 3.5” by drilling a new hole.

Stowed position doesn’t awkwardly stick too far out now and looks much better to me. Still has enough room to fold away and put a cover on.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:03 AM   #8

THOR #1944
LED's for the rest of the coach

All the coach lights were LED except for 3 in the bathroom and all of the external compartment lights. Happened to have a bunch of LED lights left over from another project.

I checked the socket type for the bulbs in the compartment lights. Yes, they fit and work!

The bathroom light bothered me the most because the converter fan kicks on when the main light in there is on. Lucky the LED socket happens to be the same! The converter fan doesn’t kick on now and the lighting is much the same brightness.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #9

Model: 2016 AXIS 24.1 RUV
State: California
THOR #2172
Ty,
You wouldn't happen to have any pix ofyour projects would you??? If so, please provide so maybe I can update my 24.1 with your some of your ideas!! Much appreciated in advance.
Jerry
Old 06-16-2015, 02:28 PM   #10

THOR #1944
pix? Hum... I'm puzzled ... does that mean you can't see the many pictures posted in the above series of posts?
Maybe a link to photo album might work for you? https://imgur.com/a/WmoxN
Old 06-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #11

Model: 2016 AXIS 24.1 RUV
State: California
THOR #2172
I'm at work so the internal Firewall may be the problem ...
Thnx.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:11 AM   #12

THOR #1944
After the basics got done... the must do list is sort of has an empty rattle!

Possible next up though, is a nice inverter that didn't get installed in the last RV. It's just sitting there squeaking install me. A few loose wires will probably get loom and secured better. A can of rust paint waiting to be used on those pesky frame spots showing surface rust from day one. But simply ... the current priority is getting out to enjoy it.

A would be fun list includes:
- solar panel system
- auto level jacks
- magnetic external window covers
- custom springs for 2-3" lift
- a unique couch bed setup
- aluminum wheels
- TPMS
- etc...
It really never ends I guess...
Old 06-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek
magnetic external window covers
Interesting thought holding them on magnetically. Did you find a commercial product or were you going to make them custom?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #14

THOR #1944
Seems like I've seen at least a couple RV shade maker/suppliers with magnetic attachment. The one I can remember is Magna Shade.

Making some doesn't seem too difficult though. Some mirror adhesive on some magnets for permanent attachment to the inside window edges and matching magnet pockets sewn into outdoor fabric.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Right; that is why I asked: We already have the Sunguard shade which we're using velcro to hold it up. It wouldn't take much to add magnets--not sure if that is a better option or not but it would be another option that didn't involve drilling holes in the RV.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:29 AM   #16

THOR #1944
Most Enjoyable Axis Mod

Trac Bar... turned wild into mild... single favorite mod/accessory!
Made driving with toad enjoyable...

I've not tried uploading a video so here's a first attempt at doing so with a short road clip...
Attached Files
Old 09-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #17

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
You've been busy!

Thanks for the suggestions on the magnets for the access panels.

Bruce
Old 09-22-2015, 11:45 PM   #18

THOR #1944
The magnets on the access panels are working out great! A short video of the easy access:
Old 10-22-2016, 10:10 PM   #19

State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
Thanks for all your tips !!! I am going to use several of them myself.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:42 AM   #20

THOR #1944
Nice to see another 24.2 traveler We're still having fun in ours ...
Happy trails...