Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Axis/Vegas 25.2 comm antenna options

I have both a ham radio and am considering a Weboost cell signal booster. The issue is the antenna. Since the 25.2 does NOT have a roof ladder, there is no place to clamp on an antenna. My thoughts are going toward two options.

The first is to screw in a flat metal plate on the roof. I could use a magnetic antenna and easily switch between the ham and cell antennas. Or maybe even put both up there.

The second is to install a bar on the rear side of the coach that could be used to clamp an antenna onto. It would be easier to swap antennas as needed.

Any ideas?

Old 06-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
I glued a small metal plate on top of the refrigerator vent cover for my Weboost antenna. It was pretty easy to run the cable down the fridge vent and into my closet. I have a 24.1. The trickiest part was finding a good location for the internal antenna that did not interfere with the external antenna. Sorry, no pics until I need to get on the roof again.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Gb,

To get an exterior antenna mount I went with bonding Stainless Steel 4"X7" plates 2 1/2" behind the driver's and passanger's side windows. Then got a 90lb rare earth magnet and a 1" 14 count threaded Marine antenna mount for my Wi-Fi antenna.

For now I only use it when parked so I just run the cable out the kitchen window and up over the door. I'll figure out a permanent mount if/when needed (DW not found of the idea of drilling a hole in the RV).

When the antenna is not in use, I have two 3"X5" US Magnetic Flags that mount on the plates.

Doc.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #4

THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Gb,

To get an exterior antenna mount I went with bonding Stainless Steel 4"X7" plates 2 1/2" behind the driver's and passanger's side windows. Then got a 90lb rare earth magnet and a 1" 14 count threaded Marine antenna mount for my Wi-Fi antenna.

For now I only use it when parked so I just run the cable out the kitchen window and up over the door. I'll figure out a permanent mount if/when needed (DW not found of the idea of drilling a hole in the RV).

When the antenna is not in use, I have two 3"X5" US Magnetic Flags that mount on the plates.

Doc.
Doc
Any chance you can post a photo?
Old 06-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #5

THOR #2142
Gb,

Will take a shot at lunch or this evening.

Doc

Old 06-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #6

THOR #2142
Gb,

Here are the pictures.

First, the round magnet and the 90 degree 1" treaded arm.
Second, stainless steel pad/mount with US Flag on Drivers side.
Third, the 90 degree magnetic mount on the stainless steel pad on passenger's side.

Two Parts.jpgDriversideFlag.jpgMountPassangerside.jpg

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Parts.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	2298   Click image for larger version

Name:	DriversideFlag.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2299  

Name:	MountPassangerside.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	2300  

Old 06-20-2016, 10:55 PM   #7

THOR #2271
Doc,
Very Clever. If I copy, you will have to tell me where you got the flags. A good touch.
gerry
Old 06-21-2016, 01:12 AM   #8

THOR #2142
Gb,

The magnet I got at Home Depo on line (I can't find my receipt) just type in 90 lb Rare Earth Magnet (3" or 4" diameter). Comes with a SS cover that has a round hole in the middle...approx $10.00.

The Stainless Steel mounts came from stainlesssupply.com. THey are 430 SS Sheets, at the last minute I went with 4"X6" (instead of 5"X7") and with rounded corners for $6.55. They nailed me on S&H that was $16.37!

I looked all over and visted several Marine Boat Sales but eventually I got the 90 Degree Mount from West Marine on line. The only way I could get the 90 degree Mount was to order part # 3843993 Mount-Antenna Rail and not use the rail mounting part. That ran $26.99 plus S&H totaled $35.29.

Also the mounting plate on 90 degree does not have a hole in the center, I used my Dremel drill to make a square hole so I could use a smooth headed bolt with a lock washer to hold the two pieces together. If I get any play or movement I will superglue the two parts then tighten the bolt.

The Flags are 3"X5" from flagsoncars (sales@flagsoncars.com) and ran me about $7.

Not the cheapest fix, but it works and looks good.

PS I need to do a little sanding and smoothing the extra bond agent around the driver's side mount.

Doc

Old 06-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #9

THOR #2142
Gb,

I used a sealer/adhesive by 3M, Marine 5200. It was recommended by some of the more Senior Forum Members as stuff that they used on their fiberglass boats.

I was advised to be sure firm pressure was applied during the setting phase (24hrs). I did some McGivering, cut a 4" wide 1/2" thick board just long enough to fit under the window edge (I tapered the 1/2" boardcut on an angle) and under the arm of the awning. With the awning slighlty out I lined up the SS plates, with plenty of excess adhesive, placed the board over it and closed the awning. On the drivers side I extended the slide, used the same board under the window edge and with a second board wedged between the back of the slide and the board coming from under the window.

After the first one I learned to wrap the board that is touching the SS plate (and adhesive) with wax paper as I did glue the board to the SS plate thanks to the excess adhesive.

Also, clean up as much of the excess as you can as early as is possible...the stuff has to be sanded off once it sets up.

Doc

Old 07-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #10

THOR #2142
Finished the exterior mount for the WiFi, got the computer setup to be the router and WOW...this thing works (at least in the driveway)! Will be heading to a campground first of August to check it out.

Exterior WiFi.jpg

For now will only be used once on site, will run the cable out the little window over the sink for now (keep rain out). According to the spec sheet the wall is hollow just above where the stainless steel plate is mounted. May make a perm. mount and hole down the road (when DW is not home).

Doc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Exterior WiFi.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	2577  

Old 07-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
3 M 5200 is available in a fast set time also, something on the order of an hour if I remember correctly. Just ran across a couple of months ago.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
With a motor home, it would depend on the composition of the glass in the motorhome. However in the recent past, I have used only on-glass antennas for VHF/UHF mobile work. They work well (unless the glass has some metallic content), are easy to mount, and when removed (and the glue cleaned up), leave no scars.

For HF, I would definitely mount it on the bumper making sure to be as far away from vertical aluminum framing as possible. Perhaps mount it on a metal plate platform you build to mount on bumper.

Ken W7TS

P.S. I can't find a picture of the rear of a Vegas. If it has a fiberglass cover over bumper, I would see if I could build a bracket to attach to the frame and come out just below the bumper. I am a big proponent of "Leave No Scars".

One more comment:

This is my personal opinion only. I have, by observing others' experiences, come to believe that it is best to to do as little messing around with an RV's roof as possible. A little slip can cause a lot of work later.