Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #221

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The engines are in the same place but Thor builds up the drivers position different: we sit higher up in the Axis/Vegas and further forward. I store my axis next to a similar length class-C and I look down on that driver when sitting in our Axis. In addition I find that the eyeline to the dash in the Axis is a bit off: I have to slouch down to fully see some of the gauges.
I agree on the line of sight with the gauges, I have to use my GPS to track my speed.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #222
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
The engines are in the same place but Thor builds up the drivers position different: we sit higher up in the Axis/Vegas and further forward. I store my axis next to a similar length class-C and I look down on that driver when sitting in our Axis. In addition I find that the eyeline to the dash in the Axis is a bit off: I have to slouch down to fully see some of the gauges.
That is interesting as the Axis is only 5" taller than my Class C. On the other hand, the driver's compartment in my Class C is slightly lower than the floor in the main salon - which is typical for Class Cs.

Yea, I can see where a Class C's driver position would be lower.

Unfortunately though - along with the narrower cab, the front compartment of most Class Cs is almost useless while encamped. Some Forest River/Coachmen Class Cs have swivel seats, but most Class C's do not.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #223
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410
Hello Jamie, my insulation arrived today. I removed the doghouse and I see there is already a layer of insulation in place. You mention that you doubled the layer of insulation. Does that mean you added another layer on top of what is already in place or did you add two more layers on top of that?
Sorry I did not see this earlier: I simply put one extra layer on top of what was there.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #224

THOR #1478
Quote:
Sorry I did not see this earlier: I simply put one extra layer on top of what was there.
Thanks for responding Jamie, that is what I ended up doing. I can tell the difference. Now the noise seems like its coming from the top, front part of the dash, were you able to reduce the noise level from that area?
Old 04-08-2015, 03:30 AM   #225

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
If there is only one layer of plastic between the passenger side table and the battery, maybe some insulation under the table would help?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #226
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I haven't had a chance do to anything more about the noise yet.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #227

THOR #1478
I need to check the area under the flip out desk, there is not a lot of room under the hood to apply insulation.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #228

THOR #1765
Quote:
Any advice on how to get the dog house off? I removed the six screws along the top and the two large screws on the bottom and it still does not move an inch. It feels like it is glued. I can't pry it, because it is just fiberglass coat and it cracks as soon as you put any pressure on it? The idiot who put it on (Ford?) stripped half of the screws, so it was an effort to get them off.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #229
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
The doghouse is a Thor product; part of the whole nose of the RV. Thus the idiots that put it on were Thor employees. I also had a bear of a time getting it off. Ours was sealed on with foam tape that I had to carefully pry around to break the seal. You describe it pretty well: feels like it's glued on.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #230

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
Thanks for responding Jamie, that is what I ended up doing. I can tell the difference. Now the noise seems like its coming from the top, front part of the dash, were you able to reduce the noise level from that area?
I heard the same noise coming from the windshield to dash gap after insulating the doghouse. I used some a/c foam strips(w/o sticky) forced it into the gap with a plastic putty knife. Helped a lot. May check out under the dash desk or whatever it is called when I get a few minutes. Could be some noise coming from there also. Every little bit helps.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #231

THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I heard the same noise coming from the windshield to dash gap after insulating the doghouse. I used some a/c foam strips(w/o sticky) forced it into the gap with a plastic putty knife. Helped a lot. May check out under the dash desk or whatever it is called when I get a few minutes. Could be some noise coming from there also. Every little bit helps.
I need to check this area on my unit to see if there is a gap, thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #232

THOR #1765
Quote:
The doghouse is a Thor product; part of the whole nose of the RV. Thus the idiots that put it on were Thor employees. I also had a bear of a time getting it off. Ours was sealed on with foam tape that I had to carefully pry around to break the seal. You describe it pretty well: feels like it's glued on.
Got it! Thanks. The foam strip had melted into the metal and it took a putty knife hammered in all around to get it up. I was pleasantly surprised with the insulation under there. The whole dog house is covered and there's insulation next to the engine to the right and left in front of the dog house. We put 9000 miles on the Vegas last summer and we did not think that the unit was noisy. It certainly was quiter than our Class C. I now see why. Luck of the draw, certainly not the quality control.
As I suspected, there is no insulation beneath the table. That might not be a big problem when the table us in the stowed position, but my wife uses it a lot when we are going down the road, so I am going to take up the table and see if I can get a layer of insulation underneath it. I don't think I am enough of a contortionist to get at it from the bottom. I will put another layer in the dog house, since I have it. Thanks again for the good ideas and help.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #233

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1347
Have you tried adjusting the position of the steering wheel? I found that helped some..
Old 04-13-2015, 01:04 AM   #234
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggys_Vegas
Have you tried adjusting the position of the steering wheel? I found that helped some..
That helps with the steering wheel but not the sight angle to the gauges.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:25 AM   #235
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Well just returned home from vacation with a few boxes sitting on my front porch:
Ok the washer tank + pump isn't really a mod as its a DIY warranty repair--frankly I was surprised they sent it to me with just an e-mail note to them.

The Sunguard RV Windshield cover we ordered to minimize the fishbowl effect: We want to be able to see out of the front windshield during the day without every passer by being able to stare back at us inside. When I called to order they said that they are custom cut to each RV model and they have a Vegas/Axis template. We'll see when I get a chance to put it on. (I ordered it with velcro fasteners since I'm not brave enough to drill into the fiberglass front just yet.)
Old 04-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #236

State: California
THOR #1494
What brand of shower curtain rod is this?
Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #237

THOR #1494
We replaced the miserable couch with two Best Home Furnishing brand Costilla model stationary power recliners equipped with lithium batteries. They sit about 2" from the window shade and accommodate my husband's 6'1" and my big butt. Most salespeople do not realize the lithium battery option. Only complaint is the chair arms are hard. Not a cushy chair, but sure works great as a recliner. Chairs are bolted down, and seat belts easily threaded through. They call the chair series 'petite' I suppose because of the wall saver feature. these are definitely not for petite people. Installation was easy in the sturdy slide, just required moving the electrical junction box. We took out the table holder and will place the front table between the left chair and the 'wall' for storage. We do not use the long table and don't carry it with us. Other chair models are available, but not sure of the dimensions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3633.JPG
Views:	694
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	372

Name:	DSCN3627.JPG
Views:	721
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	373

Name:	DSCN3624.JPG
Views:	605
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	374

Name:	DSCN3616.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	375

http://www.besthf.com/best/Furniture...etite/COSTILLA

here's the link for the chairs

Recliners | Petite | COSTILLA | Best Home Furnishings
Old 04-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #238

THOR #1478
Those power recliners look fantastic, do you mind telling me what they cost?
Old 04-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #239

THOR #1494
Sure, they were about 695 each for synthetic leather and lithium battery pack. 595 without the battery, and just the plugin. We measured carefully to make sure they fit. The fit and clearance was perfect. The front foot comes right to the edge of the slide. I can put mine up with the slide in.

Dont know measurements of other generations of this style or other models. Double check if you consider buying.

The chairs are firm, but they have other models, dont know if theyd fit. Living Spaces furniture has them, but we bought at a private store in Murrietta, California. We first saw them at a private store in AZ. Google the link for store locations.

A critical feature for us is the height of the seat when placed on the slide platform. These seats were low enough to begin with.

We searched many, many brands, this was the best fit. A love seat config is also available in this style for about 1200.

Most appealing about these chairs is the power battery feature and endless angles. Especially nice for watching the high mounted tv. The back on these is more upright than most chairs we have seen. Others make you lean back too much even if the chair is upright. We did not like Lambright or any other models we saw at Camping world, Quartzsite, or any rv shows.

Also, my husband hard wired a power strip into the junction box and set it in between the chairs.

These are by far better than any chairs we have seen at any rv show. These are not advertised as rv chairs
Old 04-23-2015, 10:51 PM   #240

THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Sure, they were about 695 each for synthetic leather and lithium battery pack. 595 without the battery, and just the plugin. We measured carefully to make sure they fit. The fit and clearance was perfect. The front foot comes right to the edge of the slide. I can put mine up with the slide in.

Dont know measurements of other generations of this style or other models. Double check if you consider buying.

The chairs are firm, but they have other models, dont know if theyd fit. Living Spaces furniture has them, but we bought at a private store in Murrietta, California. We first saw them at a private store in AZ. Google the link for store locations.

A critical feature for us is the height of the seat when placed on the slide platform. These seats were low enough to begin with.

We searched many, many brands, this was the best fit. A love seat config is also available in this style for about 1200.

Most appealing about these chairs is the power battery feature and endless angles. Especially nice for watching the high mounted tv. The back on these is more upright than most chairs we have seen. Others make you lean back too much even if the chair is upright. We did not like Lambright or any other models we saw at Camping world, Quartzsite, or any rv shows.

Also, my husband hard wired a power strip into the junction box and set it in between the chairs.

These are by far better than any chairs we have seen at any rv show. These are not advertised as rv chairs
The price seems reasonable for motorized recliners. I recently purchased a pair of motorized Lazy Boy recliners for my home at a cost of around $900 each. Thank you for taking the time to post detailed info and pictures of your modification.