Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #321

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp410 View Post
thank you

Old 05-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #322

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Jamie,

I covered my windows in the same way. I also cut pieces for the other windows. We generally leave the top front windows covered as it seems to keep the glare down. I put small Velcro dots on the windows to keep them in place. It does keep the unit cooler. I did not think to cut one for the skylight. I will do that this week.

Phil
Old 05-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #323
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I used a velcro dot for the front one and some velcro holding the cover over the skylight. The two pieces for the side windows are wedged in there pretty good and don't need anything else holding them there.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:20 AM   #324

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Last couple of "fix's" ...

Fresh water access on the 24.2 has the drain valve behind a 1/8" wood panel in the rear compartment. To drain the fresh tank everything in that compartment must be removed to take out the 33x20" panel. So... I cut a piece of 1/8" clear plastic to replace the wood panel. Then cut a hole in the clear panel to access the valve. Cut a door larger than the valve opening and outlined each with magnetic strips.

Visual water level and the valve access door easily removes or pops into place.

The fresh water drain tube didn't stick down very far and water re-use difficult so the tube was extended and a quick release end added for attaching a hose so that the drained water can easily be used on nearby plants.

Tow-bar sticks out too far at the shortest pin hole in stinger bar. So today, a new hole was drilled so that it slides 3.5" further into the receiver (near flush with the back side).

Now it stows away nicely near the bumper.

Also, I re-checked the bolts on the new trac-bar since the last few days of unmaintained mountain road travels fully maxed out the suspension and flexed everything well beyond typical highway travels would. A couple bolts were not optimally tight so it was a very good check to do.

Must do Fix/mod list is about done. Finally the Axis little "just wrong" for real use items bugging me most are done!
Old 05-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #325

THOR #1075
My new awning for my 24.1 should be in soon. The awning was taken out in 80 MPH winds on a recent trip to Texas. It is a Carefree and the company offers sun shades for the front and sides. Has anyone installed the Carefree Sunscreens for their awning? If so, do you like them? Any issues?

Phil
Old 06-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #326

State: Florida
THOR #2036
Is there an inverter option for the 24.1? Would an inverter have to replace the generator? I'm not sure why you would need in inverter - just something I read.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:12 PM   #327
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deant View Post
Is there an inverter option for the 24.1? Would an inverter have to replace the generator? I'm not sure why you would need in inverter - just something I read.
If an inverter is available Thor would list it as an option or as standard equipment.

The purpose of the inverter is to run select 120VAC items without being connected to shore power or having the generator running.

Example, my Challenger has a residential refrigerator which does not have the ability to run on propane. The circuit for the frig is run through the inverter. I can run down the road with the inverter on and have the refrigerator operate without having to run the generator.

Since my wife uses a laptop while we travel and we will run the coach AC unit those circuits are not run through the inverter. We usually find ourselves rolling with inverter off and generator running. But that is the way we are and does not reflect what others do.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:16 PM   #328

THOR #2036
Dave, thanks for the explanation.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:31 AM   #329
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
As far as I know an inverter is not an available Thor option on the Vegas/Axis units.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #330

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
In keeping with our "House Divided" RV theme, and thanks to my DW and her handiwork, we no longer have the original flimsy brown/gold curtains and have replaced them with these. (They have a heavier, light filtering lining.)

I'm quite partial to the mod on the driver's side and will attempt to ignore the others. It's an SEC thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	584  
Old 06-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #331

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Picture of curtains:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	585  
Old 07-03-2015, 01:48 AM   #332

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #2285
Vegas 24.1 shower mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Here is a pic from the other side. Plexiglass is attached with three bolts thru the cabinet at the top and three screws thu the shower pan along with liquid nails at the bottom. The plexiglass is attached to a 1"X1" at the back and glued to the wall. Then siliconed all around with a bead at the front edge so the water does not run down the top of the shower pan and on to the floor. Another similar bead where the sink cabinet from edge meets the shower pan.
We just purchased our 24.1, have not used it yet but interested if your shower modifications have worked because we can see a need to do the same.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2015, 01:25 AM   #333

Model: Axis 25.1
THOR #1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Final mod was a Clean Dump install in the waste dump cabinet. Everything fits except being able to turn the 3” pipe from the discharge to the pump. To make that turn I had to cut the end off of the compartment (below the on/off switch and circuit breaker). I bought a small storage container and fastened it to the end of the compartment to make the compartment long enough for the hose to turn. The hose detaches with a half turn and I cut a hole in the compartment below the attach point so if I have a pump failure, I just have to unattached it and I can use a regular hose. I have been using on of these systems for four years and have never had a problem.. I wired it to the battery cut off switch thru a 20amp breaker and a redundant on/off switch. No more messy hoses. Open the valve, turn on the pump and empty your tanks in a few minutes.
I am a newbie and would love to understand what you did here. Seems like an excellent solution to a messy problem.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2015, 02:10 AM   #334

Model: Axis 25.1
THOR #1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
So far I installed a home-brew sewer hose storage spot. The Axis doesn't really have a good spot for the sewer hose that drains and/or is outside and I didn't like the idea of just throwing a "freshly used hose" into one of the outside compartments.

Got the idea from a friend: Went to the home depot and got some plastic 4" fence post, sawed it down to fit under the chassis at the rear, painted it black, and screwed it to the frame a few feet in front of the hitch. Its only accessible from the passenger side as the generator blocks it on the other side.

Since you really can't see it unless you crawl underneath I just used an eyebolt with a nut it to secure the end. There is enough room under there to put two side-by-side for extra hose.

The original idea used a gutter as a shelf to slide in and out, but the drop side of the Axis was too low to allow the shelf to pull out enough so I just store the sewer pipe directly in the fence post pipe.

In addition to that I had my dealer install a brake controller for the hitch. Good thing I had them do that because the 7-wire plug at the hitch was wired all wrong from the factory.

I've also removed the TV attempting to put a 2nd HDMI cable in from the TV to the cabinet but the current HDMI wire is routed all over the place and I couldn't get my 2nd wire to follow. So instead I just plugged a spare Chromecast I had lying around into the empty HDMI 2 spot on the TV (also had to remove the microwave to look at the wiring). (I have pictures of this somewhere as well--most likely on my phone.)

We connect up my son's Play Station to the HDMI input to the TV and with the cabinet doors closed the PS heats up and shuts down after about an hour of use. A project I may tackle is how to add some ventilation there without changing the appearance of the cabinet.

Another thing I've had to do: When I've had the rear-passenger bed top apart to winterize and unwinterize I noticed that the generator crossover switch was just sitting there not really secured to anything. So I screwed that to the wall next to the water heater.

Next up: We've noticed that the key lock for the outside shower is really loose and it tends to pop open when driving down the road. I'm either going to replace that lock or find some other way of tightening it up so it doesn't open.
Newbie here. Did you have to do any drilling? What did you use to attach the fence post?

Thanks!
WillDawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #335
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
No drilling: There are already holes in the frame. Home depot had some threaded rod that I was able to chop in half--it was pretty tough stuff; took a while to cut.

I think it was a 4' threaded rod that I cut to get two 2' rods and then bent them around the fencepost.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #336

State: North Carolina
THOR #2423
timp410...the shower rod looks to need a center post for support according to Amazon... I wonder if I could find the original track that Thor uses/or similar and make it extend out in a larger curve, add a larger curtain using existing hardware and give my 270 pound body more room in the shower that way?
Old 07-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #337
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Here is an easy mod. Various people get pool noodles for cushioning/protecting slide edges, doors, etc. I really didn't want a bright red, green or blue pool noodle for this purpose so I stopped at The Home Depot and picked up some pipe insulating foam which is dark grey, cut a section about 2ft long, and slit down the length so I could slide it over the awning arm:

Now when the door flies open it hits the foam instead of the awning arm (sorry about the contrast it is a rather bright day today).
Old 07-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #338

THOR #1075
I like the idea of a bright color. I used a pipe wrap the same color as the arm. I used it one trip and since it was so similar in color, I kept forgetting to take it off.

I used a large pool noodle as a rail for the overhead bunk. I'll get a smaller one and use it like you did for awning arm.

I just got back from the Gulf and had lots of sun but no trees like you have in your shot. I could have used a tree.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #339

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff919 View Post
timp410...the shower rod looks to need a center post for support according to Amazon... I wonder if I could find the original track that Thor uses/or similar and make it extend out in a larger curve, add a larger curtain using existing hardware and give my 270 pound body more room in the shower that way?
This is true Jeff. I have the center brace but decided to make do without it. The brace was getting in the way of closing the shower curtain. I decided to just use a light weight liner to contain the water. It's not the best solution but it seems to work.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #340

State: Kentucky
THOR #2021
here is what I got to add to the inside TV's and the outside tv also,
http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD1831-...ds=hdmi+switch