Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #341

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #2021
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvto7dzj8x...08.38.png?dl=0

get one of these! it makes adding stuff easier.. and a hdmi camble extender http://www.amazon.com/PTC-Premium-GO...cable+extender

Old 08-05-2015, 11:37 PM   #342
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Here is a quick little mod I just did: Pick up a desk organizer and some velcro strips:

Since I have double insulation on the underside of the doghouse this side doesn't really get that warm and now we can throw stuff there without worrying it will fall off.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:41 AM   #343

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #2138
Jamie, you could remove the insulation and have a nacho cheese warming tray too?

My simple offering is the square tissue box holder, mounted at the entry door. They're always there when you need them, and it serves as a good place for the remote to hang out too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	673
Old 08-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #344
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Actually, now that we've driven the Axis about 500 miles: the tray doesn't get warm at all. Only the sides of the doghouse are warm (closest to the exhaust manifolds).
Old 08-24-2015, 02:03 AM   #345

State: Colorado
THOR #1654
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
As far as I know an inverter is not an available Thor option on the Vegas/Axis units.
Jamie I was out at a rv Park for 5 days connected to a land line 30amp and the main battery was dead , coach batteries where full. had to jump the Axis to start it, any ideas
Old 08-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #346
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Interesting: The circuit board in the storage compartment under the drivers seat is setup to charge both batteries when plugged in (it uses a couple of diodes to provide a charge to each battery and prevent them from discharging). You can see the diodes in the circuit diagram I posted in this thread:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...-box-1203.html

At any rate that circuit board is the first place I'd look.

BTW: We just returned from a 9 day camping trip with no such issues (plugged in the entire time).
Old 08-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #347

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #2423
A simple and inexpensive solution to the rattle of the kitchen table extension.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1202.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1201.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	704  

Old 08-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #348
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Jamie I was out at a rv Park for 5 days connected to a land line 30amp and the main battery was dead , coach batteries where full. had to jump the Axis to start it, any ideas
My guess is you have a parasitic load drawing down the chassis battery over a 5 day period. You could also have a weak chassis battery.

The chassis battery is not charged when connected to shore power. The motorhome includes a battery isolator that keeps the chassis and house batteries separate when the engine is not running. The battery isolator is explained in relative detail on page 96 of the owner's manual.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:09 AM   #349

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
The chassis battery on my 25.1 is charging when connected to shore power.

Bruce
Old 09-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #350

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
THOR #1147
I brought the Axis home for the weekend and did several repairs, mods, and upgrades that have been on the list for a while. In no particular order they were:

1. Replaced the outside-shower valve body.
I forgot all about the outside shower when I winterized last fall. You can imagine the result. Fortunately the lines themselves drained when I drained everything, but there was a little water left in the body outside of the valves. There was a lot of leaking when using the shower, but none with the valves off.

Amazon had the replacement body. They are really easy to replace if you have access to the backside of the housing. Unfortunately in the 24.1 the backside of the housing is the toilet pedestal. I had to remove the whole housing from the front. That involved removing 9 screws and then cutting the caulk.

The repair itself was simple. Cleaning up the poorly-applied acrylic caulk was a pain though. I ended up using lacquer thinner to soften the caulk so it could be removed. I tested it first, and it didn’t seem to hurt the gel coat. Also, you’ll notice in the photo that my decals are deteriorating already.

I remounted the housing, taped it off neatly and re-caulked with GE Silicone II clear caulk.

2. Next was adding insulation to the engine compartment. I started by adding some brackets on the underside of the dash. I noticed from pictures that others have posted that there should be angle-brackets securing the dash to the chassis frame. They were missing in ours.

Sorry for the fuzzy photo, but mine looks like this – no support at all. Strong gusts or big bumps would visibly lift the dash after which it would crash back down.

I created these brackets from 1/8” aluminum angle.

And installed them thusly. The dash no longer moves. Fuzzy again…

Then I added some ľ” FatMat that I got from Amazon. I covered the seam where the dash meets the cap all the way ‘round. This included completely covering the end of the plastic trim pillars that I had previously stuffed full of fiberglass insulation. I’m hoping for a pretty big improvement in sound levels and elimination of air infiltration.

I have a good bit of mat left. I’ll add more after evaluating the noise levels on the next trip.

3. We had one of the cabinet-lid support struts strip and pull out so that needed fixed.

I bought several of these from an online vendor. They are called “anchor nuts” and are used in automotive and aircraft applications when a nut is needed in an inaccessible location.

I used 6-32 sized nuts of the self-locking variety. 6-32 socket-head cap screws fit nicely in the mounting hole in the strut, and the self-locking feature of the nut means the screw can be left loose enough for the strut to pivot freely but it will not back out.

They are mounted to the cabinet frame with #2 x 5/8 wood screws. To ensure the wood screws will not strip I:

1) drilled a properly sized pilot hole
2) ran the screw in to cut threads in the wood
3) filled the hole with CA glue (super glue)
4) let it harden, and
5)mounted everything up.

I use this method all the time in my model airplanes to make balsa hold screws. Works a treat. The result looks like this.

I fixed the busted one and went ahead and did the same for the other cabinets over the couch. I have enough nuts to do all the cabinets over the beds too.

4. Lastly, the lining in the cab-curtains literally disintegrated. They turned to a nasty white powder, made a mess, and looked terrible from the outside. My DW sewed up some new ones. We chose a nicer fabric and lined them with black-out lining. The lining will reject heat pretty well in addition to darkening up the coach in the evening.

I replaced the curtain tracks at the same time. The originals were too short. They didn’t come all the way back to the valence leaving a nice gap where folks could peer in. No longer a problem.

Regards,

Randy
Old 09-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #351

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Wow, you had a busy weekend. Was your outside shower leaking internally or externally? Reason I ask is that I had a mysterious leak on the floor in back of my toilet a couple of trips ago and have never found the source. Although, it has not been wet since even with lot of rain and usage. But, one wall to the left when sitting on throne does not look like the top half. Not sure if the water made a little discoloration or not.

Your comment about the shower valve leaking made me think that a connection could be loose on the backside of the valve in my wall. This would not surprise me with the quality issues lately.
Good write up and thanks for the comments.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #352

State: Missouri
THOR #1971
I too had to replace the outside shower due to previous owner not properly winterizing it. Not difficult except for the caulk issues. I ended up cutting the caulk to keep from pulling the graphics up. If I ever have to repeat I will try your lacquer thinner removal technique.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #353

THOR #1147
The outside shower was leaking outside only - downstream from the valve. There was water left in the wand/hose and it froze/cracked right where the hose attaches to the valve body.

It could certainly leak inside too though. I pressurized the system and made sure everything back there was tight before I buttoned it up.

And yep, busy weekend. Pretty much ate both days!

Randy
Old 09-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #354

THOR #2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
The last installment...

I had added a Pro-Fill battery watering system to the chassis battery last fall. I finally added one to the coach batteries before the trip. It was either that or pull the batteries to add water to the forward one. When I got done the pair of batteries took nearly a half-gallon of water!

My wonderful wife gave me this for Christmas – a Garmin 720RV. It works quite well.

No pic’s, but I added a chassis battery disconnect a la JamieGeek. While I was installing it I put a meter across the poles and measured the parasitic draw. It was 118 milliAmps. That’s more than enough to drain the battery pretty quickly.

While testing I noticed this little gem – the dual USB charger is driven off the chassis battery and has a nifty little green LED. It accounts for 11 of those 118 milliAmps.

I’ve no idea where the remaining 107 mA are going. Parasitic drain should be no more than 25 – 50 mA. Oddly enough, unhooking the multi-wire connectors under the radio had no effect. Also odd, with the chassis battery disconnected and the house battery switch set to “store” the radio clock held the correct time?

The last mod was to simply stuff a mess of pink, fiberglass wall insulation up each of the windshield trim-pillars from the engine compartment. (sorry, no pic’s). This did a amazing job of cutting the wind noise. My wife and I could talk in almost normal voices, and even listen to music without cranking the volume. There’s still more insulation work to do, but now it’s about securing the dash, eliminating front-end rattles, and reducing engine noise.

As usual, the trip generated a whole new list of mods to add to the to-do list:
  • Rescreen all the windows with no-see-um gauge window mesh. We were camped on a lake outside Carlsbad NM. The evening was pleasant so we shut down the AC and opened all the windows. After a while DW hollers, “Close the windows! The bus is full of tiny bugs!” We spent the rest of the trip killing and cleaning up sand-flies. Yuck.
  • Replace the front curtains. The lining on the driver’s side has started to disintegrate already. I’ll fix the tracks at the same time. They are installed in such a way that there’s a huge gap at the back. Not great for privacy.
  • Replace the curtain track in the shower. The shower is actually plenty big enough. But the track is mounted well inside the outlines of the base creating that fun, “closed in”, feeling.
  • Re-caulk the sinks. The factory acrylic caulk is coming apart.
  • Clean up all the trim and molding. My son details new homes before final inspection. He informed me that it would be easy to make our “woodwork” look a whole lot better.

That's it for a while!

Regards,

Randy
Did you removed the pillars to stuff the insulation or.... How did you get it in there? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #355
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff919
Did you removed the pillars to stuff the insulation or.... How did you get it in there? Thanks.
From underneath: open the "hood" and stick your head in--you'll have access to the bottom of the pillars.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #356

THOR #1147
Jeff,

If you are a contortionist - open the grill and peer up into/under the front right and left corners of your engine compartment. You'll see the bottoms of the pillars there - wide open. I stuffed a goodly amount of pink fiberglass insulation in each one and got a nice reduction in noise.

I've now covered the openings with the FatMat, with the pink stuff still in there.

Randy
Old 09-04-2015, 05:49 AM   #357

State: Virginia
THOR #2807
Does anyone know where the fuse for the two 12 volt outlets by the radio is? Just purchased coach and no power to these outlets.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #358

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #1879
12v receptacle fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGRIG View Post
Does anyone know where the fuse for the two 12 volt outlets by the radio is? Just purchased coach and no power to these outlets.
I had the same problem. The fuse is in the electrical box in the outside compartment just below the driver. It's labeled F17 "Power Point". There was a short in one of the receptacles I had to fix to keep the fuse from blowing.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #359

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
Smile Great Ideas!

You guys and gals are full of great ideas! Mail baskets, fence post poop chute storage, super!
Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #360

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
Great work Randy! Will add some of these items to my Vegas work list.