Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #381

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Question on driver's seat -- it could turn completely around if the back and left armrest didn't get jammed by the steering wheel. Guess one of my reactions to the question is, "What's the real question?" Even if the seat could turn completely around getting in and out would still be blocked by the left couch arm. Our seat will rotate until the seat is in the approximate 160 degree position which allows me to watch the over-door TV and talk with anyone sitting on the couch. Don't know what more I'd be able to do if the seat rotated any further than I can't do now.

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #382

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
We find it difficult and uncomfortable to take another couple with us on trips in ur 24.1. If we had a dinette they could sit and talk more comfortably. For this reason my wife and I have been discussing selling the Axis and getting something with a dinette.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #383
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
aa9zz: Have you looked at the FR3 25DS model? Its much like an Axis, but bigger, with 2 slides and a dinette:
Forest River FR3 25DS
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #384

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I'll have to sell the Axis first. Anyone interested? Bu,t I really would prefer a dinette to travel and take another couple with us. The sofa is great for kids and a family but I am retired and don't have a family to take. Two (3 and 6) grandkids don't really care where they sit.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #385

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Aa9zz,

I can't imagine the 24.1 with four adults. Which is exactly why we love ours.

"We'd love to have you, but there just isn't room..."

Regards,

Randy
Old 11-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #386
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald
I can't imagine the 24.1 with four adults. Which is exactly why we love ours.
LOL! We've had our son bring a friend before and used the couch bed for him. It gets really tiny in there with that bed out (the next trip my son wanted to bring friends we just made them stay out in a tent..problem solved ).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #387

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Last week we purchased a 2016 24.1 Axis with a dinette option. We went to look at the coach New Jersey. Our class c had a dinette and we didn't want to give it up. After negotiating the price, we told them that we would take the deal only if they replaced the couch with a dinette. They said, "Yes, it can be done." I actually called Thor a few days before and ask them if it was possible, Thor said yes as well. If you take a look at the dimensions carefully, it appears that a dinette shouldn't have a problem fitting in the 24.1.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #388

THOR #2025
The driver seat could probably clear the steering wheel if there was about one inch of clearance. I'm thinking you could probably unbolt the seat, elongate the holes about one inch (length) and move the seat back. My two pennies worth....
Old 11-28-2015, 10:55 PM   #389

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Novanoel,

Please post pictures when you take delivery. I'd actually prefer a 2-person dinette to the couch. I'd really like to see what it looks like.

Regards,

Randy
Old 11-28-2015, 11:11 PM   #390
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanoel View Post
The driver seat could probably clear the steering wheel if there was about one inch of clearance. I'm thinking you could probably unbolt the seat, elongate the holes about one inch (length) and move the seat back. My two pennies worth....
Not sure about the Axis but I was looking at the seat mounting on my Challenger today. This winter I want to remove the seat to get better access to the fuse box so I can add another 12VDC power outlet on the left side of the dash.

To elongate the holes, on my coach at least, one would have to elongate 4 holes that are drilled through 1/8 inch steel.

The three bolts and nuts on the left side of the pic below are three of the 4 mounting bolts for the passenger's seat. The driver's seat mounting is the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Pan.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1111
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:22 AM   #391

THOR #2025
Randy,

I will certainly get pictures up as soon as I take delivery. I should have my unit in one week.

Noel
Old 11-29-2015, 12:42 AM   #392

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Last week we purchased a 2016 24.1 Axis with a dinette option. We went to look at the coach New Jersey. Our class c had a dinette and we didn't want to give it up. After negotiating the price, we told them that we would take the deal only if they replaced the couch with a dinette. They said, "Yes, it can be done." I actually called Thor a few days before and ask them if it was possible, Thor said yes as well. If you take a look at the dimensions carefully, it appears that a dinette shouldn't have a problem fitting in the 24.1.
I asked Thor if they would build with a dinette and was told no -- on two occasions. Is Thor building it with dinette, or is dealer doing the modifications? Either way it's good to see.

Please post pictures when you get yours.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:43 AM   #393

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I asked Thor if they would build with a dinette and was told no -- on two occasions. Is Thor building it with dinette, or is dealer doing the modifications? Either way it's good to see.

Please post pictures when you get yours.
Hello Chance,

When I called Thor they said they could not do it at the manufacturer level but that the change could be done at the dealer level.

The dealer ordered all the parts and will be installing it...I'm sure with a few mods.

However, before I went this route I had the following brewing in my head:

1. Build the benches using a Kreg Jig (pocket jig)
2. Upholster the benches
3. Make some cushions
4. Install the table mechanism with the following:

The 25.2 sleeping area is 46 x 74 and the 24.1 sleeping area is 60 x 74. If I'm reading this correctly, the length of the slide is the same on both units. This is the important factor.

I'm thinking that it should be a breeze getting the dinette set up in the 24.1. If you build one from scratch, then you really have a lot more control over the dimensions and the fit and finish.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:17 PM   #394
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Hello Chance,

When I called Thor they said they could not do it at the manufacturer level but that the change could be done at the dealer level.

The dealer ordered all the parts and will be installing it...I'm sure with a few mods. ...

The 25.2 sleeping area is 46 x 74 and the 24.1 sleeping area is 60 x 74. If I'm reading this correctly, the length of the slide is the same on both units. This is the important factor...
Not to rain the parade but what is the dealers parts and labor warranty. Thor, more than likely, will not warranty that installation and may void the warranty on any systems or components that are impacted by the installation. If you intend to get an extended warranty make sure it covers dealer installed modifications.

Is the dealer installing safety belts and how do they intend to anchor those? The forward facing seats should provide more flexibility if you plan to have youngsters along for the ride.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #395

THOR #2121
Quote:
....cut....

The 25.2 sleeping area is 46 x 74 and the 24.1 sleeping area is 60 x 74. If I'm reading this correctly, the length of the slide is the same on both units. This is the important factor.

I'm thinking that it should be a breeze getting the dinette set up in the 24.1. If you build one from scratch, then you really have a lot more control over the dimensions and the fit and finish.
You should check with an Axis/Vegas owner to confirm, but I recall reading in a previous thread that the 60X74 bed is oriented transversely. If so, that means your 74-inch-long dinette may not fit where a 60-inch-wide bed goes.

The best thing is to measure the slide itself on both models. It's worth confirming.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #396

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Novanoel,

I own a 2016 Vegas 24.1 (on a 2015 E350 chassis) and the slide has the following dimensions:

Inside of slide (actual space between the inside of the two walls on the slide) is 68 3/4" wide.
Outside of slide (actual width of what slides out) is 78 1/4" wide.
Depth (from the wall with the window to the edge of the slide's side is 25 1/4".

Hope that helps.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #397

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Not to rain the parade but what is the dealers parts and labor warranty. Thor, more than likely, will not warranty that installation and may void the warranty on any systems or components that are impacted by the installation. If you intend to get an extended warranty make sure it covers dealer installed modifications.

Is the dealer installing safety belts and how do they intend to anchor those? The forward facing seats should provide more flexibility if you plan to have youngsters along for the ride.

No worries. Having different perspective is always a good thing.

The dealer will warranty the work for a year. Also, I'm currently working on an extended service plan, exclusionary, to cover the entire rig. Anything installed by dealer will be covered.

Getting back the modification, I don't see how this modification can have an impact on any other part. Unless of course we assume that the slide on the 25.1 is different than the slide on the 24.1 - mechanically or otherwise. Are the slide motors different? Is the slide mechanism different? The slide in the 25.1 is the same slide on the 24.1. The only difference is the furniture and made a few inches here or there.

Also, what could possible go wrong with two wooden benches, cushions, and a table?

The seat belts...I'm assuming will be tied into the old bolts. However, I do have to verify this.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #398

THOR #2025
I think I made an a prior post

The dinette table in the 25.1 is 46 x 72 correct?

The couch in the 24.1 is 60 x 72 correct?
Old 11-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #399

THOR #2121
Quote:
I think I made an a prior post

The dinette table in the 25.1 is 46 x 72 correct?

The couch in the 24.1 is 60 x 72 correct?
According to the dimensions Doc posted above, the slides are not the same size on the two models you mentioned.

A shorter dinette can still work, but tall individuals may feel uncomfortable sleeping in a bed so short.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:07 AM   #400
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
No worries. Having different perspective is always a good thing.

The dealer will warranty the work for a year. Also, I'm currently working on an extended service plan, exclusionary, to cover the entire rig. Anything installed by dealer will be covered.

Getting back the modification, I don't see how this modification can have an impact on any other part. Unless of course we assume that the slide on the 25.1 is different than the slide on the 24.1 - mechanically or otherwise. Are the slide motors different? Is the slide mechanism different? The slide in the 25.1 is the same slide on the 24.1. The only difference is the furniture and made a few inches here or there.

Also, what could possible go wrong with two wooden benches, cushions, and a table?

The seat belts...I'm assuming will be tied into the old bolts. However, I do have to verify this.
The point I was making is that behind the couch there could be electrical cables or plumbing lines that could be impacted by the installation. If they exist these may need to be rerouted because they would no longer be hidden and out of the way with the dinette installation.

I imagine the seat belts on your current configuration are the same as my Challenger's couch. They are all attached in a line against the back wall of the slide. The seat belts on a dinette will more than likely have to be perpendicular to the current installation.
FMCA - F432054