Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #641

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
Well, on my first outing. I positioned the RV to close to the treeline on the door side. SO the awning could only go out so far. This in turn placed the chairs closer in and when I can out of the RV I turned and ran smack into the Exterior TV's hatch. My fix is a Home Depot water line noodle. So now when I hit my head it will not leave a mark.

Tim

Old 05-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #642

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Kay,

Yep, we got the last Butler Table last fall at BBB, it was the display model so we got it at an even more reduced rate than the 20% off!!

Get the big black rubber bands they sell at CW. They are a lot easier to keep up with than are the clips that seem to want to fly away when one is not looking.

Tim, if you have not done it yet, the noodle also does a great job of keeping the door from banging into the awning support arm...and leaving a mark.

FWIW: Get a kneeling pad (like concrete workers use) from Lowes or Home Depo and keep it with your sewer stuff as it makes it so much easier to kneel on when getting the "stinky slinky" setup in place.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #643
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Kay,

Yep, we got the last Butler Table last fall at BBB, it was the display model so we got it at an even more reduced rate than the 20% off!!

Get the big black rubber bands they sell at CW. They are a lot easier to keep up with than are the clips that seem to want to fly away when one is not looking.

Tim, if you have not done it yet, the noodle also does a great job of keeping the door from banging into the awning support arm...and leaving a mark.

FWIW: Get a kneeling pad (like concrete workers use) from Lowes or Home Depo and keep it with your sewer stuff as it makes it so much easier to kneel on when getting the "stinky slinky" setup in place.

Doc
Doc ! Thankyou .. will checkout the rubber bands next time we are at CW.
and we agree...the noodles work well and the kneeling pads and rubber gloves are a must have !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #644

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw887 View Post
Well, on my first outing. I positioned the RV to close to the treeline on the door side. SO the awning could only go out so far. This in turn placed the chairs closer in and when I can out of the RV I turned and ran smack into the Exterior TV's hatch. My fix is a Home Depot water line noodle. So now when I hit my head it will not leave a mark.

Tim
Mine didn't leave a scar. It did help me remember though.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #645

THOR #2142
MOTHERS DAY PRESENT:

Okay, my wife is 4'10" and her feet don't reach the floor. So, for Mother's Day I made her a foot rest for the Vegas. First and foremost I understood that not all co-pilots in the "shot gun" seat would be her size...so what I built would have to slide under the seat and out of the way for longer legged passangers.

After careful measurements I concluded it could only be 16 1/2" wide to fit up into the most forward foot space of the passenger seat. Also, the mount for the co-pilot seat would have to be dealt with (along with the bolts thru the floor and the plastic housing around the mount).

My wife's feet were some 6 inches off the deck when she was seated. So this was my goal...raise the floor 6 inches, have it slide forward past the speaker and then have it slide back out of the road. Please note, if your co-pilot only needs 4 inches of adjustment my plans can be modified just use 1"X4" instead of 1"X6" framing.

With all that said, it took some scrap lumber 1"X6", a couple of piano hinges, 3 cans of Texture paint and a piece of 1"X 12" pine to make the following. I had to buy the last two items so I have over $25 in this "MOD".

FYI: It also has a nice large storage space to put the RV and insurance paperwork in since the Vegas does not have a glove compartment.

WP_20160508_12_00_59_Pro.jpgWP_20160508_12_01_31_Pro.jpgWP_20160508_12_01_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20160508_12_01_54_Pro.jpgWP_20160508_12_07_05_Pro.jpgWP_20160508_12_11_38_Pro.jpg
Diagram for Footrest.jpg

Fig 1 shows the unit open, Fig 2 shows it closing, Fig 3 shows set up for short foot rest, Fig 4 shows extended foot rest (needs to be folded in before sliding under chair), Fig 5 shows the storage area, Fig 6 what it looks like slid under chair (please understand that some of the plastic mounting around the chair post must be cut off, also I will be shortening the bolts that protrude up that the chair is mounted on), fig 7 is a diagram of the construction. Final note: The paint I uses was a Rust-oleum Multicolor Textured "Desert Bisque", three cans of it cost more than the rest of the project ($15).

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160508_12_00_59_Pro.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1961   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160508_12_01_31_Pro.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1962  

Name:	WP_20160508_12_01_43_Pro.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1963   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160508_12_01_54_Pro.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1964  

Name:	WP_20160508_12_07_05_Pro.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1965   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160508_12_11_38_Pro.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1966  

Name:	Diagram for Footrest.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1967  

Old 05-08-2016, 11:42 PM   #646
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Very cool idea; including making use of the space as storage.

That would make it pretty easy when crossing the border (say when going to Canada) to have the paperwork at hand (I always forget our license plate # and so we're scrambling to grab the registration as we pull up to the inspection station LOL--our paperwork lives in the Thor bag with all the manuals stored above the couch).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:40 AM   #647

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
MOTHERS DAY PRESENT:

Okay, my wife is 4'10" and her feet don't reach the floor. So, for Mother's Day I made her a foot rest for the Vegas. First and foremost I understood that not all co-pilots in the "shot gun" seat would be her size...so what I built would have to slide under the seat and out of the way for longer legged passangers.

After careful measurements I concluded it could only be 16 1/2" wide to fit up into the most forward foot space of the passenger seat. Also, the mount for the co-pilot seat would have to be dealt with (along with the bolts thru the floor and the plastic housing around the mount).

My wife's feet were some 6 inches off the deck when she was seated. So this was my goal...raise the floor 6 inches, have it slide forward past the speaker and then have it slide back out of the road. Please note, if your co-pilot only needs 4 inches of adjustment my plans can be modified just use 1"X4" instead of 1"X6" framing.

With all that said, it took some scrap lumber 1"X6", a couple of piano hinges, 3 cans of Texture paint and a piece of 1"X 12" pine to make the following. I had to buy the last two items so I have over $25 in this "MOD".

FYI: It also has a nice large storage space to put the RV and insurance paperwork in since the Vegas does not have a glove compartment.

WP_20160508_12_00_59_Pro.jpgWP_20160508_12_01_31_Pro.jpgWP_20160508_12_01_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20160508_12_01_54_Pro.jpgWP_20160508_12_07_05_Pro.jpgWP_20160508_12_11_38_Pro.jpg
Diagram for Footrest.jpg

Fig 1 shows the unit open, Fig 2 shows it closing, Fig 3 shows set up for short foot rest, Fig 4 shows extended foot rest (needs to be folded in before sliding under chair), Fig 5 shows the storage area, Fig 6 what it looks like slid under chair (please understand that some of the plastic mounting around the chair post must be cut off, also I will be shortening the bolts that protrude up that the chair is mounted on), fig 7 is a diagram of the construction. Final note: The paint I uses was a Rust-oleum Multicolor Textured "Desert Bisque", three cans of it cost more than the rest of the project ($15).

Doc
Love creativity! Looks very cool!

Tinker onward!
Old 05-09-2016, 12:52 AM   #648

THOR #2142
Born to tinker!

Doc

Old 05-09-2016, 01:06 AM   #649
vkb

THOR #3510
Doc...I love what you did for Sheree ! I can only imagine how uncomfortable she has been in the shotgun seat...I am 5'8" and I was not comfortable.
My 4" riser/foot rest which Ron made slides out of sight easily.

We are still working on a place to stow our RV paperwork, other than in the Thor bag.
Under the work station on the shotgun side, works until I want to use that !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-09-2016, 01:16 AM   #650

THOR #2142
Kay,

Thanks for the kind remarks.

There is a lot of space in the step: with a little more effort there could be a lock and a chain around the chair mount...real secure lockbox.

Doc

Old 05-09-2016, 01:28 AM   #651
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Kay,

Thanks for the kind remarks.

There is a lot of space in the step: with a little more effort there could be a lock and a chain around the chair mount...real secure lockbox.

Doc
I LIKE ! This could be the next project for Ron ! He is nodding yes !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #652

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Nice job!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #653

THOR #2142
For the longer legged passangers who sit with the "shot gun" seat all the way back you may want to reduce the larger foot rest portion by a couple of inches so that it fits completely under the chair when the chair is all the way back. Use a 1"X10" board instead of the 1"X12". Which would shorten the unit from 20" to 18" when cutting the sides.

Doc

Old 05-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #654
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
For the longer legged passangers who sit with the "shot gun" seat all the way back you may want to reduce the larger foot rest portion by a couple of inches so that it fits completely under the chair when the chair is all the way back. Use a 1"X10" board instead of the 1"X12". Which would shorten the unit from 20" to 18" when cutting the sides.

Doc
agree !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #655

THOR #2142
Upgrade to footrest:
1. The DW noted it was awkward pulling the footrest out from under the chair. So, back to Lowes and I got a small round brass cabinet knob at 97 cents.
2. When sliding the footrest in and out it is annoying to keep bumping into the bolts attaching the seat to the floor. Next evening I have off I will remove the forward two bolts, reverse them placing the head of the bolt above the floor in the cab and the nuts, washers and lock washer under the floor (plenty of room in the storage area).

Doc

Old 05-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #656

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Colorado
THOR #3679
Here is a small mod. The closet/wardrobe is really large and looked great on the show room floor. But we don't really take that much formalwear with us on our camping trips. I bought some cube storage racks and put them in the closet. They fit really well and give us additional storage. With three connected in a tower and an additional cube attached on the side it fits well in the space and still gives us some area to hang shirts if needed. I zip tied them to the hanger rod so they stay in place. The cubes I purchased also came with some clips to add additional shelves with in a few cubes. If I need the full closet i just cut the zip ties and remove the unit. Easy

http://www.amazon.com/Safco-Products...ilpage_o00_s00
Old 05-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #657

THOR #2142
Nice and right up the alley of what the DW has been wanting. Where did you get the cubes?

Doc

Old 05-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #658

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Colorado
THOR #3679
Amazon - I add the link to my original post.

http://www.amazon.com/Safco-Products...ilpage_o00_s00
Old 05-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #659
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkipper View Post
Amazon - I add the link to my original post.

Robot Check
I like your idea...I have been looking for hanging shelves for the closet..this can be an option !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #660

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3802
my little mods to my Axis 24.1

I don't use the closet to hang things so I bought metal shelves at The Container Store and I also bought storage bins that fit it perfectly. I use it for kitchen storage/food. The very low cup holder on the passenger's side was a no go for my daughter so I took her portable safety bar with suction cups and zip tied a portable cup holder to it and stuck it on the window, there she can reach it perfectly!! I found a storage magnetic tile for the wall next to the couch. The little bins are magnetic and interchangeable ) I put it up with Command Strips
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1552.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	2029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1553.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	2030  

Name:	IMG_1555.JPG