Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #661
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
24.1 closet storage/organization

TheSkipper posted his storage solution for his 25.2 the other day...
that will not work in the 24.1 as we all know as our closet is only 18" wide.

This is my solution, so far...this frees up some drawer space, etc.
If I am not pleased with it..no big loss.. $5.87 at WalMart !
Figured socks, underwear etc will fit nicely.
It measures 5 1/2" wide..a little tall..I will not have use of all 10 slots with the shelf sitting on the bottom.
With the Command hooks and the metal over doortop hooks I feel we are making good use of the limited space and still have room to hang a few shirts etc.
Click image for larger version

Name:	closet storage.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	2044

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:56 PM   #662

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
A Closet having 18" width to work with limits the possibilities. I went to Lowes and got two of their ClosetMaid 31in. Vertical Stackable Organizer. The dimension of one of the kits is 31.5" Tall X 12.13" Wide X 11.63" Deep. Of course...some assembly required.

I put together two of them then connected them one in front of the other for a storage shelf unit that is now 31.5" Tall X 12.13" Wide X 23.26" Deep. The DW wanted a place to put shoes so I put a shelf across the bottom of the closet using 1"X6" sides and 2 widths of 1"X12" with a strip of 1"X2" in between the two to give a shelf 17 3/4" X 24 1/2". Then I mounted the shelving unit this and the front side of the bedroom wall.

Closet2.jpg

I noticed on the picture you can see the underside of the shelves are not painted so tomorrow I will disassemble and paint those areas.

As can be seen in the picture there is still some 6" of hanging space available for a few shirts and things.

The CloseMaid units were $13.98 each and I needed one 4 ft piece of 1"X12" at $7.98. (Remember the 10% Military Discount for Retirees and Active Duty...I think next weekend all Veterans get the Discount). The rest of the materials were scrap wood saved from other projects and assorted screws.

Doc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Closet2.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	2050  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #663

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkipper View Post
Here is a small mod. The closet/wardrobe is really large and looked great on the show room floor. But we don't really take that much formalwear with us on our camping trips. I bought some cube storage racks and put them in the closet. They fit really well and give us additional storage. With three connected in a tower and an additional cube attached on the side it fits well in the space and still gives us some area to hang shirts if needed. I zip tied them to the hanger rod so they stay in place. The cubes I purchased also came with some clips to add additional shelves with in a few cubes. If I need the full closet i just cut the zip ties and remove the unit. Easy

Amazon.com: Safco Products 5279BL Wire Storage Cube Set, Black: Office Products
Nice. Would look good in 25.2.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:54 PM   #664
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
A Closet having 18" width to work with limits the possibilities. I went to Lowes and got two of their ClosetMaid 31in. Vertical Stackable Organizer. The dimension of one of the kits is 31.5" Tall X 12.13" Wide X 11.63" Deep. Of course...some assembly required.

I put together two of them then connected them one in front of the other for a storage shelf unit that is now 31.5" Tall X 12.13" Wide X 23.26" Deep. The DW wanted a place to put shoes so I put a shelf across the bottom of the closet using 1"X6" sides and 2 widths of 1"X12" with a strip of 1"X2" in between the two to give a shelf 17 3/4" X 24 1/2". Then I mounted the shelving unit this and the front side of the bedroom wall.

Closet2.jpg

I noticed on the picture you can see the underside of the shelves are not painted so tomorrow I will disassemble and paint those areas.

As can be seen in the picture there is still some 6" of hanging space available for a few shirts and things.

The CloseMaid units were $13.98 each and I needed one 4 ft piece of 1"X12" at $7.98. (Remember the 10% Military Discount for Retirees and Active Duty...I think next weekend all Veterans get the Discount). The rest of the materials were scrap wood saved from other projects and assorted screws.

Doc
looks good...like you...I wanted that space for shoes in the bottom of the closet.
We will know more in a couple weeks as to how it works or not !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-23-2016, 02:01 AM   #665

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #3216
https://www.flickr.com/gp/29917810@N02/3VXc5j
Just added this 3'tall 2'wide 1'deep unit. Will likely add a shoe shelf beneath.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:25 AM   #666

State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
We just removed the mattress above the front seats and store all our shoes up there. When we need a pair just lower the bed down. Also great place to store ceiling exhaust fan insulation pillows. Need our closet space.

Angelo and Diane
Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #667

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3802
Hi DocMike. I want to replace the sofa bed with the same reclining pieces that you did. Can you tell me how long the entire process took? How long did they take to come in after ordering and then most importantly how long did the install take? I am thinking about doing this while on the road because we are traveling for 6 months and the sofa bed is soooo uncomfortable to just sit on. Thank you so much!!!
Old 05-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #668

THOR #2142
By the way I like the name "Loki", just loved reading Mythology back in my teens.

DW named our Vegas "Ms. Enterprise"..."to boldly go". I got to name the TOAD, of course it had to be "Galileo".

As far as your question: It took the longest to get the recliners (about 3 weeks). Once they were in stock at the CW of Statesville they estimated 3 hours but got it done in a little over 1 1/2 hours as we waited...and the estimated bill was adjusted accordingly. Yeah, we have a good Dealership with a real good Service Department .

Doc

Old 05-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #669

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Colorado
THOR #3679
Here is another small and not particularly clever mod, but it comes in handy on my 25.2

The bathroom is larger but not really good for changing cloths or after a shower being able to dress easily, esp for my wife or daughter. I know in some other models the bathroom door can cut the RV into 2 separating the living spaces; the 25.2 does not have that feature but with this mod it comes close. I got a small tension rod and a narrow shower curtain. Now I can pop this into place and cut off the living area from the bathroom, closet, bedroom etc. So the anyone can shower and use the back half of the RV while other can still use the kitchen/living area. When shower time is done - Just pop it off, fold and store away in the closet.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #670

THOR #2142
Skipper,

Good idea.

What is that over the top of the freezer? I like the slide out pantry there between the sink and range.

Doc

Doc

Old 05-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #671

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Colorado
THOR #3679
Thanks Doc,

Above the Fridge/Freezer is another storage cabinet, we keep bags of Chips in it! I see your model the fridge/Freezer is installed a little higher and does not have this.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:38 PM   #672
vkb

THOR #3510
customizing the exterior of our 24.1

Name:	Puma Axisr.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	2064We added a graphic to our Axis !

Name:	PUMA 2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2065
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-24-2016, 01:28 AM   #673

THOR #2142
Kay,
Cool graphic. Where did you get it?

Doc

Old 05-24-2016, 01:55 AM   #674
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Kay,
Cool graphic. Where did you get it?

Doc
Thank you ! We like it ... Amazon seller is Wolverine Retail ..
we shopped and searched alot before settling on this seller and their product.
They have many graphic decals and quality if very good. Review very good.
We had planned on doing application ... then, having watched UTube videos of application, etc. we decided to have a pro do it. Happy we did as we do not have any experience in this field.
We are having the trailer done too !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-24-2016, 03:47 AM   #675

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3162
Axis Sewer Hose

Hi All,

I added a Super Slider Sewer hose tube to the rear bumper. It easily holds 20' of Rhino Flex hose and fittings. Thought I would share it.

Sanitubes / Sewer Hose Carriers / NEW!! SUPER-SLIDER Adjustable SUPER-TUBE - DW Inc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160523_145943 - Copy.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	2067  
Old 05-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #676

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
How did you attach it? Can you show connection pics?

Phil
Old 05-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #677

THOR #3162
Sewer Tube Mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
How did you attach it? Can you show connection pics?

Phil
So I took some 3/16" thick x 6" long X 1" wide steel flat stock and mounted it flush to the top angle of the bumper using No 12 flat head sheet metal screws. I counter sunk the flat heads flush to the flat stock so the tube base would sit flush to the bracket I made. Of course I transferred and drilled the holes for the Super Tube mounting before attaching the plates I made to the bumper. I hope the pictures should help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tube Dim.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tube Mounting.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	2072  

Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #678

THOR #2142
Paul,

Did you seal your holes in the bumper?

The reason I ask is that I just found a "rust bubble" under the paint on the rear bumper. I showed it to the Dealership last Friday while I was in for some last minute Warranty work (my Thor 1 yr Warranty expires 30May16). They got approval today to order me a new one. In the process they told me this was the 4th or 5th Vegas that needed a new bumper due to rusting.

Doc

Old 05-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #679

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Sewer Hose Bumper

Since I've already managed to ding my rear bumper (a tree jumped out and bit it), I plan on swapping to a sewer hose bumper this summer. I have a friend who can manufacture the brackets for me and it will solve two issues at one time.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #680

THOR #3162
Quote:
Paul,

Did you seal your holes in the bumper?

The reason I ask is that I just found a "rust bubble" under the paint on the rear bumper. I showed it to the Dealership last Friday while I was in for some last minute Warranty work (my Thor 1 yr Warranty expires 30May16). They got approval today to order me a new one. In the process they told me this was the 4th or 5th Vegas that needed a new bumper due to rusting.

Doc
Hi Doc,

I used clear silicon adhesive sealer on the holes. However I did notice a little surface rust forming on other parts of the bumper. That being said there are so many other things wrong with the unit the surface rust is the least of my concerns. The latest in a long list of repairs is the replacement of the gray water holding tank. Leaking rapidly at the seams. It will be another 6 or 7 weeks or so they say. I have owned the thing since Oct 29 2015 and have not been able to use it yet. Every time I try to get it ready for a trip I find something else busted and broken. Oh Well!