Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #761
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
https://www.ltdcommodities.com/Toys-...?bookId=4131&c
Click image for larger version

Name:	charging station.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2689

I get LTD Commodities email newsletter...this might be an option for someone looking for an additional charging station.

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #762

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Larry ... thanks for the heads up on this door handle. Ours arrived today, Ron had it on immediately.

Now to use Doc's suggestion of putting colorful tape on the door/latch handles for easy identification.
Glad that you like how it worked out. This is what the forum is all about...sharing useful info.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #763

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That is a great idea simply to keep the unit from shaking when people are walking around. Especially on the 25.2 with the bed hanging out the back (probably why you put them on).

Did you also put some towards the front?
Hey Jamie, yes you are right I installed them to just stabilize the rear of the coach. I put them down before I extend the rear slide to help with the added weight of the extended slide. I decided to mount them permanently to save space and to not fumble around trying to get them lined up every time I pull in to a camping spot. I just put them in the rear for now. Will have to see if just having 2 is sufficient.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:53 AM   #764
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well I liked penguin's idea of the scissor jacks so much I picked up a set for myself. Unfortunately, though, I can't mount them where he has his mounted: My sewer hose storage thingy is there (as illustrated in the 2nd post in this very thread LOL).

Crawling around underneath the Axis today I think I'm going to try to get them mounted on the frame rails about a foot in front of the rear axle and maybe each on an angle (instead of each pointing straight out). I figure having them on an angle from each other will increase the stability.

I don't have the required skills to fabricate something for them to mount to so I'll have to get that done (We store it on the out-lot of an auto-restoration company that discovered they can make a lot of $$ by working on all the campers stored there--I'm going to start with them to see if they will do the work).

I like the idea of dropping the jacks down to give the RV some stability so it doesn't bounce around so much when people are walking around (or tossing & turning during the night). In addition, its far less expensive than a set of hydraulic levelers.

Probably won't have an update on this for a while though as I figure out how to get them installed.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:55 AM   #765

THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well I liked penguin's idea of the scissor jacks so much I picked up a set for myself. Unfortunately, though, I can't mount them where he has his mounted: My sewer hose storage thingy is there (as illustrated in the 2nd post in this very thread LOL).

Crawling around underneath the Axis today I think I'm going to try to get them mounted on the frame rails about a foot in front of the rear axle and maybe each on an angle (instead of each pointing straight out). I figure having them on an angle from each other will increase the stability.

I don't have the required skills to fabricate something for them to mount to so I'll have to get that done (We store it on the out-lot of an auto-restoration company that discovered they can make a lot of $$ by working on all the campers stored there--I'm going to start with them to see if they will do the work).

I like the idea of dropping the jacks down to give the RV some stability so it doesn't bounce around so much when people are walking around (or tossing & turning during the night). In addition, its far less expensive than a set of hydraulic levelers.

Probably won't have an update on this for a while though as I figure out how to get them installed.
Hey Jamie. The scissor jacks I bought have a 7 1/4" mounting width. I went to my local steel supplier and asked for them to cut me 2-7 1/4" square plates to mount the jacks to. I drilled and tapped 2 holes to mount the plates to the frame and 2 holes to mount the jacks to the plate. That way you can mount the plates and jacks where ever you please. I can take more pictures if you need them. Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #766
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin
Hey Jamie. The scissor jacks I bought have a 7 1/4" mounting width. I went to my local steel supplier and asked for them to cut me 2-7 1/4" square plates to mount the jacks to. I drilled and tapped 2 holes to mount the plates to the frame and 2 holes to mount the jacks to the plate. That way you can mount the plates and jacks where ever you please. I can take more pictures if you need them. Hope this helps.
I had noticed that in your pictures: The extra plate. I would probably be able to handle that install but where I want to put them they will have to be about 2" to 3" lower than the frame so that you can use the crank handle below the skirting and one side will also have to clear the exhaust pipe.

Where I want to put them it may make sense to actually make a new cross member and mount them to that... which is a bit more work
Old 08-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #767

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jamie,

I watched a family setup thier pull behind camper. As dad was busy with the elecric, water and sewer hookups the older daughter had a rechargable drill with a long extension on it that fit the scissor jack (instead of a crank handle). She used the drill to run the jack down untill it just touched a pad she had placed on the ground. Dad came around with a small (2 foot or less) level that had magnets on it to attach to the frame then he did the final leveling adjustments.

Not sure if everyone does it that way, but it looked nice and easy.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #768
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
I watched a family setup thier pull behind camper. As dad was busy with the elecric, water and sewer hookups the older daughter had a rechargable drill with a long extension on it that fit the scissor jack (instead of a crank handle). She used the drill to run the jack down untill it just touched a pad she had placed on the ground. Dad came around with a small (2 foot or less) level that had magnets on it to attach to the frame then he did the final leveling adjustments.

Yup: Used to keep a cordless drill in the 5er with a socket exactly for that reason. Plan on doing the same with these--still have the socket My Dewalt drill had enough torque that I didn't even have to snug them up..
Old 08-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #769

THOR #4443
actetty compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Jamie,

Doc
That's the way I do it. The cordless drill is pretty compact for this operation. When I get the jacks to contact the ground I just take a ratchet with a 3/4 in socket and give them 1 more revolution.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #770

State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Piano Bench and Lazy Susan

Nothing complicated but a portable piano Bench is working great as a combination foot stool, inside/outside table and extra seat in Axis 24.1. It folds for convenient storage. Also I found a perfect Lazy Susan that doubles as a cutting board very the sink or a laptop stand on too of the stove.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #771
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunter View Post
Nothing complicated but a portable piano Bench is working great as a combination foot stool, inside/outside table and extra seat in Axis 24.1. It folds for convenient storage. Also I found a perfect Lazy Susan that doubles as a cutting board very the sink or a laptop stand on too of the stove.

interesting thanks for sharing
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #772

THOR #3027
Would add pictures but can't seem to post them.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:06 AM   #773
val

State: Ohio
THOR #5131
Thor Axis mods

Coffe machine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1914.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	2732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1912.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	2733  

Old 08-14-2016, 03:24 AM   #774
val

THOR #5131
Thor Axis mods

Motorcycle carrier
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1926.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	2737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1927.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	2739  

Name:	IMG_2431.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	2740  
Old 08-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #775

THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJames View Post
Axis 25.2 Turning Driver's Seat
Hi Penguin,
Attached instruction you requested on turning the seat in the Axis 25.2
Hope you can see and hear the attached video through a public link to my OneDrive.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmmCA9ceR2_4hMVHKuFo176w2IQStQ
Please let me know if this works for you. I was unable to load up a video directly to the Thor Forum Site.
Best Regards,
James
You my friend are a genius! :-) Thanks so much for sharing!
Old 08-14-2016, 03:39 PM   #776

THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by val View Post
Coffe machine.
Love this idea! Will have to 'borrow' your idea - thx!
Old 08-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #777

THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJames View Post
The courtesy light on the 25.2 is related to the position of the dash lights. Turn the dashboard light adjust control on the left to turn off the courtesy light. We had the same conundrum in our unit till we played with the dashboard light control.
We continued to have the problem with the light draining our battery - only minor draw but enough to drain us in a month. We decided to install a switch under the console so we can turn it on/off as we want.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #778
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRodgers View Post
You my friend are a genius! :-) Thanks so much for sharing!
IN THE 24.1 .. Ron extends the slide before turning the Drivers Chair around..and turns the chair before placing the table between the chairs.
Other than that, basically the same proceedure .

Nice video sharing !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #779

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by val View Post
Motorcycle carrier
I love this. Now that we've been touring around for a while, we would like to have a small motorcycle for quick outings in addition to bikes mounted via Draftmaster on the hitch. The trick has been figuring out how to do both (I know - too many toys). Did you make this? From the picture, I can't see exactly how it's mounted. I presume you use a ramp to load the motorcycle, and it is mounted there as well?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 08-15-2016, 10:23 PM   #780
val

THOR #5131
Thor Axis mods

I did use two motorcycle carriers. I did make one out two.
Folding Motorcycle Carrier AMC-400-F | DiscountRamps.com
And two receivers.
OKoffroad.com Recovery - 2" Receiver Hitch
4 U bolts.
You can pull car 4 wheel on ground not trailer/boat/car dolly!!!!!!
Keep in mind hitch have 800 limit.
So metal 200 motorcycle 400 still OK.
Best regards.