Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #881

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkottler View Post
While in the shower I was looking at the shower curtain track and began to ponder.. Why not have the curtain bend at a 90 degree angle instead. So after a bit of tinkering here is what i came up with. By moving the track and the shower head i have a bit more room. Hope this helps
The shower is the biggest issue with our Vegas. I am five foot and husband six foot and a big guy. I really like our Vegas (husband iffy because of the shower). My husband uses the shower at the RV park ugh! Your idea seems to be a good alternative to enlarge the space somewhat. We noticed you moved the shower head and it appears that moving the curtain rod leaves a gap that the curtain will not cover. Is this correct? Is moving the curtain rod time consuming and do you have to order or purchase parts? How did you hang the shower head on the medicine cabinet?

We look forward to hearing from you. Linda & Jack

Old 12-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #882
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Texvegas you also might want to look into the ARC shower curtain rod if yours doesn't already have it. For a lot of information on it read this thread: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-1-a-3382.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:31 AM   #883

State: Florida
THOR #3441
2015 Vegas 24.1 Shower Mod

We noticed you moved the shower head and it appears that moving the curtain rod leaves a gap that the curtain will not cover. Is this correct?

Correct, but by moving the shower head to the wall cabinet i was able to have the curtain stick to the metal on the side of the sink cabinet. No water issues so far and i have taken a few showers.

Is moving the curtain rod time consuming and do you have to order or purchase parts?

No parts required.. Just White screw covers to plug the old holes.

How did you hang the shower head on the medicine cabinet?

Moved the holder to the side of the wall cabinet.

If you want further info just send me a message.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:39 AM   #884

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
There are also suction cup holders out there that work pretty well if you don't want to move the old one and drill new holes.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #885
sip

State: California
THOR #5882
Love the shower track idea! Wet soapy rear ends stuck to shower curtains is no fun.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:10 PM   #886

Model: 2017 Axis
THOR #4281
30 AMP Cable Reel

How are folks storing the 30/50 amp electrical cable, has anyone had any luck with a reel.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #887

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgclub View Post
How are folks storing the 30/50 amp electrical cable, has anyone had any luck with a reel.

Thanks
I store nearly all of the items in my outside storage in water-tight plastic storage bins (also a lot of my inside storage as well). It keeps stuff clean and neat, dry, and sorted so I know right where everything is located. Each bin is see-through and also labeled as to content. It uses what room I have more efficiently as bins can be stacked utilizing all the space in a storage area, not just stuff piled on the floor. For example, I have one bin labeled "Power" than holds my electrical cable and surge protector. Another labeled "Water" that holds my fresh water hose and water filter. A third labeled "Sewer" and another for "Tools", etc.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:51 AM   #888

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
See page 35, post 7-21-2016 for my 30 amp storage solution. I used it all summer and loved it.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:15 AM   #889
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:

Thanks
You might get a 30amp cable around a reel - but my '50amp' (really 100amp) cord would be a bear... Much thicker and stiffer to handle 3x the current.

I have a small utility bay in the rear right by power/water connections that holds all my coiled electric cords, cable TV wire, and drinking hoses when traveling... and then holds the towbar and hardware (and whatever excess cords/hoses I'm not using on the trip) when hooked up and camping...
(cuz the bikerack moves from the back of the toad to the RV hitch for its storage while camping...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:22 AM   #890
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
See page 35, post 7-21-2016 for my 30 amp storage solution. I used it all summer and loved it.
Or page 10 (currently) for those that have the newest posts first...
Direct link to your post: Thor Forums - View Single Post - Axis/Vegas Mods...1,2,3 Go.

Looks nice... I'll need to take a pic of the bay I use... no room for that - but all the hoses/wires fit nicely.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:54 AM   #891
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I use the passenger bay in front of the rear tires for electric cables and water hoses (if we had the outside TV this is the bay under that). I've found that its small size is perfect to store the chords and hoses all coiled up.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 AM   #892
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:

Thanks
Ron stores ours inside the left rear compartment door..
..it is handy when hooking up.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #893

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
I wind mine up and store it in the right front compartment with the surge protector, another 50a to 30a adapter, 2 tri-level blocks (which store easily in the narrow pass thru space above) and 2 sets of leg-go leveling blocks. Works for me.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #894

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Here is our storage configuration in our 2015 Vegas 24.1:

I have a large plastic container I use to store the sewer hose. This bin goes in the storage compartment under the driver's seat.

I have a second container like the one I store the sewer hose and in this second container I have a coiled white fresh water hose, pressure regulator and fresh water filler fitting. I have a smaller plastic container and store the 30 amp park electrical cable, 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone, and exterior cable tv cable. I store these two containers in the front storage compartment under the passenger seat. I have to store the small electrical storage bin vertically in front of the fresh water storage bin.

I have a small plastic container with tools, tape, sealant, WD-40, fuses, etc. in the small compartment on the passenger side directly in front of the rear wheels. I have another container same size as tool and electric cable storage containers with 1-lb propane bottles, butane lighters, table cloths, table cloth clips, and extra dog collars, leash, and toys that I store in the small compartment directly under the outside tv compartment.

In the large compartments on both sides of the rear with the pass through I have 4 canvas folding chairs, outside grill, grill tools, folding table, folding clothes basket, broom and dustpan, Thor canvas bag with RV manuals, extra water (gallon containers for coffee and 12 oz bottles for drinking, soda, extra toilet paper rolls, and extra paper towels.

Inside we use the cabinets above the couch as our pantry for canned goods, cereal and cracker boxes, food storage containers, plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and extra towels. Under the driver's side bed we store extra sheets, pillow cases, and two extra blankets. In the cabinets above both twin beds we use the first 24 inches of both cabinets for towels and wash clothes. The remainder of the cabinet space on both sides above the beds is for our clothes (wife on driver's side, me on passenger side). The rear cabinets above the beds on the back wall we use to store beach towels, and I put my CPAC in this cabinet on the passenger's side of the RV above the bed in which I sleep (I plug it in the AC receptacle under that cabinet and drop the CPAC hose out the cabinet door).

Cabinet above toilet stores toilet paper rolls, extra soap, shampoo, and creams. Cabinet under bathroom sink stores a small bottle of cleanser for the bath and the black tank deodorized/digester pods.

We use the wardrobe for our hanging clothes. We have a small bamboo 2 shelf organizer in the wardrobe we use for our toiletry bags, and other small personnel items.

In the two large drawers in the kitchen we have 1 small sauce pan, 1 small fry pan, and a small electric fry pan (top large drawer) and an electric griddle (bottom large drawer). Thus far in over 100 days of camping this year we have only ever used the electric fry pan or the electric griddle. In the 4 small drawers we have our silverware (top drawer), knives, spatulas, large spoons, etc. (2nd drawer). 2 sizes paper plates, paper bowls, paper napkins, paper cups (3rd drawer). The bottom 4th drawer is the ubiquitous "junk drawer" (flashlight, batteries, radio remote, tv remote, CD player remote).

We just got a 16 X 22 X 34" Microwave Cart from Amazon that we will place in front of the couch against the bathroom wall when the slide is out. We will place a Quisinart convection oven, an induction stove top, and the electric griddle on this cart when we are camping. We do not like using the microwave/convection oven that came with the RV in its convection mode. Here is a link to the cart: https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Supre...microwave+cart
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #895
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Interesting that you carry an extra oven.

Our configuration (hinted at in my earlier post), clockwise starting at front passenger outside storage (if viewing camper looking down from the top):
  • Front Pass: "Extra" stuff (mostly sewer hoses in their own container)--rarely gets opened
  • Short compartment next to door/steps: Flat container for shoes, outside doormat
  • Short compartment front of rear wheels: All electrical and fresh water stuff (filters, hoses, chords, including RG for cable hookup)
  • Large pass-through passenger side: BBQ + Short propane (refillable, not the disposables), Lynx levellers, small side table
  • Middle of pass-through: outside carpet, table, container with picnic stuff (table cloth, etc.)
  • Underside storage: DIY sewer hose storage (2nd post in this thread)
  • Drivers side pass-through (above genny): small toolbox, chairs, loungers, chains & extra straps for dolly, ladder, and sunscreen for front windows
  • Skipping to Drivers side front: Sewer stuff in box (angle pieces, gloves, chemicals)
Inside same order:
  • Above sink: Pantry (all dry food)
  • Small drawers: Top = junk drawer, 2nd silverware, 3rd knives, 4th grill stuff
  • Top large drawer: Dishes
  • Bottom large drawer: Pots/pans
  • Closet: (Hanging clothes, hand-held rechargeable vacuum, paper towels (when on road)
  • Drawers under closet: clothes
  • Rear passenger side storage above beds: Bedding
  • Rear rear storage above beds: blankets(pass side)/electronics (drive side, laptop, camera, etc.)
  • Rear driver side above beds: clothes and towels/wash/etc.
  • Under driver bed: clothes hamper (long storage), short storage holds airmattresses
  • Bath under sink: whatever fits--usually shaving kits
  • Bath above toilet: paper, hairdryer, etc.
  • Bath behind toilet: Nothing when on road, but whatever when camping (soap, shampoo, etc.)
  • Above slide: paper plates, zip-lock bags, plastic silverware, toaster, parts for convec oven, Thor bag, campground binder*, flashlights

Campground binder = Binder containing all of the maps/flyers/etc. that we've received from every campground we've ever visited (no duplicates for repeat visits though, I usually try to keep the most current one though).
Old 12-15-2016, 04:39 AM   #896

THOR #4281
Cable Reel

I saw this pic on another forum and just wondered if any one had experience with the plastic reels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	3538  
Old 12-15-2016, 04:47 AM   #897

THOR #4281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Good idea with the hooks, nice space saver.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #898

THOR #4281
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Here is our storage configuration in our 2015 Vegas 24.1:

I have a large plastic container I use to store the sewer hose. This bin goes in the storage compartment under the driver's seat.

I have a second container like the one I store the sewer hose and in this second container I have a coiled white fresh water hose, pressure regulator and fresh water filler fitting. I have a smaller plastic container and store the 30 amp park electrical cable, 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone, and exterior cable tv cable. I store these two containers in the front storage compartment under the passenger seat. I have to store the small electrical storage bin vertically in front of the fresh water storage bin.

I have a small plastic container with tools, tape, sealant, WD-40, fuses, etc. in the small compartment on the passenger side directly in front of the rear wheels. I have another container same size as tool and electric cable storage containers with 1-lb propane bottles, butane lighters, table cloths, table cloth clips, and extra dog collars, leash, and toys that I store in the small compartment directly under the outside tv compartment.

In the large compartments on both sides of the rear with the pass through I have 4 canvas folding chairs, outside grill, grill tools, folding table, folding clothes basket, broom and dustpan, Thor canvas bag with RV manuals, extra water (gallon containers for coffee and 12 oz bottles for drinking, soda, extra toilet paper rolls, and extra paper towels.

Inside we use the cabinets above the couch as our pantry for canned goods, cereal and cracker boxes, food storage containers, plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and extra towels. Under the driver's side bed we store extra sheets, pillow cases, and two extra blankets. In the cabinets above both twin beds we use the first 24 inches of both cabinets for towels and wash clothes. The remainder of the cabinet space on both sides above the beds is for our clothes (wife on driver's side, me on passenger side). The rear cabinets above the beds on the back wall we use to store beach towels, and I put my CPAC in this cabinet on the passenger's side of the RV above the bed in which I sleep (I plug it in the AC receptacle under that cabinet and drop the CPAC hose out the cabinet door).

Cabinet above toilet stores toilet paper rolls, extra soap, shampoo, and creams. Cabinet under bathroom sink stores a small bottle of cleanser for the bath and the black tank deodorized/digester pods.

We use the wardrobe for our hanging clothes. We have a small bamboo 2 shelf organizer in the wardrobe we use for our toiletry bags, and other small personnel items.

In the two large drawers in the kitchen we have 1 small sauce pan, 1 small fry pan, and a small electric fry pan (top large drawer) and an electric griddle (bottom large drawer). Thus far in over 100 days of camping this year we have only ever used the electric fry pan or the electric griddle. In the 4 small drawers we have our silverware (top drawer), knives, spatulas, large spoons, etc. (2nd drawer). 2 sizes paper plates, paper bowls, paper napkins, paper cups (3rd drawer). The bottom 4th drawer is the ubiquitous "junk drawer" (flashlight, batteries, radio remote, tv remote, CD player remote).

We just got a 16 X 22 X 34" Microwave Cart from Amazon that we will place in front of the couch against the bathroom wall when the slide is out. We will place a Quisinart convection oven, an induction stove top, and the electric griddle on this cart when we are camping. We do not like using the microwave/convection oven that came with the RV in its convection mode. Here is a link to the cart: https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Supre...microwave+cart
Thanks so much for the info....I reallllly feel unorganized:-)
Old 12-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #899

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
OK, I've been home for a whole month (I travel a lot for work), and I've made some progress on mods and upgrades. The first three I'll share are:

I added an Ultragauge engine monitor. It's mounted on the upper-right of the main console. Sorry, no pictures of this one. I haven't done much with it yet. So far I only have one screen enabled with speed, instant MPG, Average MPG, and distance to empty. If anyone has a good set of gauges for the E350 please post!

2 & 3.
I made new driver and passenger-side consoles and upgraded the front speakers. Here are the results.

The tops are solid cherry (the real thing) with a hand-rubbed oil finish. They will darken pretty quickly to that beautiful burgundy-brown that stain (and paper-covered pine) can't come close to!

I built a CNC-router a couple of years ago and used it to make a new switch bezel to replace the original black plastic unit. I painted the tray on the driver's-side with gloss black Valspar plastic formula spray paint to better match the rest of the plastic bits.

Both units are about 4 inches taller than the originals making them much easier to reach. On the driver's side I swapped the location of the switch panel and cup holder. I reach for the cup holder a lot more often than I do the switches. On the passenger side I lengthened the whole unit a bit and added a second cup holder. DW wanted someplace to put a bottle of soda in addition to the cup of ice.

The speakers are Pioneer TS-A6995R 5-way 6x9s from Amazon. I replaced the 110 outlet in the passenger-side unit with one that contains 2 USB charge ports. With two iPhones, two iPads, helmet communicators, and multiple cameras we can use all the charger space we can get!

Construction is pretty simple. The originals are really cheap 1/2" softwood plywood, stapled together, and covered with foam-backed vinyl. The new boxes are 1/2" Baltic Birch ply, glued and screwed together. Baltic Birch is a solid-ply (no voids) hardwood plywood. It's much stronger and more stable than normal ply, but a bit heavier. It's stiffer too which should make the speakers sound a bit better.

I found a perfect match for the vinyl at a local upholstery shop, but they didn't have it foam-backed. No problem though they did have 1/8" closed-cell foam. I attached it with 3M 90 hi-strength adhesive and trimmed it all 'round. More adhesive attached the vinyl which was then wrapped around the back and stapled down.

You can see the difference between the new and the originals. The whole project cost about $150. DW and I are really pleased with the result. They look great, are much easier to reach, and the new speakers are a marked improvement over the original Sony's.

Next up is a replacement for the front table. We generally use it instead of the large table in front of the couch. I glued up a cherry panel while making the console tops. It needs trimmed, edge-routed, and the finish applied. It should look great and is half the weight of the original Formica/particle-board tables. I'll post pictures when it's done.

Randy
Randy,
I love the console and it's got me think about a similar project. The last RV was based on a Sprinter and it had a lot more storage and cup holders than the Axis. I was thinking about doing the same kind of thing to add more cup holders, a 12v connection on the passenger's side, and add some more storage.

One question though: how are the consoles attached? I've studied the pictures to see if I can figure out how they attach to the floor or side wall and I haven't been able to figure that out.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #900

THOR #5313
This is what I did to showere curtain off back. Is 1/2" polyflo tubing and 4 clips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170102_111816.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	3646