Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2017, 01:32 AM   #1141

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Delaware
THOR #8517
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I modified my bi-fold, finger pinching BR doors to swing like the newer Vegas-Axis do from each side of the BR wall. Was and easy mod to do and worked out very nicely. The mod did not affect the accordion door into the bedroom.

If you are considering doing your BR door mod, a few pics may help if needed.
Absolutely going to modify it...just haven't decided how yet as I just picked up this used 2014 Vegas a few days ago. YES...pictures would be very helpful. Thanks so much!
Scott

Old 07-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #1142

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #7522
Has anyone upgraded their toilet in the Vegas/Axis 24.1 yet?
We are looking at the Dometic 320 Low Profile (very nice oblong swirl toilet)
Old 07-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #1143

State: California
THOR #7697
Shelf added to 25.3 driver's side rear compartment

I decided the left rear compartment was under utilized on the 25.3 being so tall. So I added a shelf which was quite easy because of the coach floor lip having 3 sides visible to drop a shelf on. I just used a piece of plywood that I wrapped with carpet using carpet adhesive and a few staples on the edges to hold until the adhesive dried and a couple large clamps. (Haven't removed excess adhesive from edge in picture). Sorry I couldn't figure out how to rotate picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1501259931326346318546.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	6084  
Old 07-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #1144

State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
I mounted two Ikea metal mesh magazine holders sideways in each rear corner, makes a perfect end table for coffee, books magazines and is lightweight and unobtrusive. I posted pictures somewhere on this forum.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #1145

State: Colorado
THOR #7522
Oh yes Croused I did find those - they do look nice - great idea!
Old 07-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #1146

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by svozz View Post
Absolutely going to modify it...just haven't decided how yet as I just picked up this used 2014 Vegas a few days ago. YES...pictures would be very helpful. Thanks so much!
Scott
Here are a few pics with comments. Doors do not need any mods other than adding handles and washers for magnets to grab. Same hinge and screws were used.

Name:	IMG_6073.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	6085

Name:	IMG_6074.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	6086
When this door is open it still provides some privacy for dressing etc.

Name:	IMG_6076.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	6087
Overhead stop bracket made from some scrap wood and hardware store magnets. I used the stain I had on hand which is a little darker than the doors, but was in a hurry to finish and probably does not matter unless you look closely.

Name:	IMG_6075.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	6088
I left the old track on the ceiling. When I went to remove it, I found that there was no finished ceiling fabric under the track, so to avoid an ugly streak, I just left it in place.

Name:	IMG_6077.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	6089

Name:	IMG_6078.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	6090

Name:	IMG_6079.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	6091
Added a piece of 1x4 strapping floor to ceiling, screwed to wall and hinge screwed to it as spacer to close gap on doors when they were closed. I had to remove the accordion door temporarily to fasten it.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:38 AM   #1147

Brand: Still Looking
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8001
That heavy tabletop can be completely transformed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmurph View Post
Good option, tcshr5! That way, I could be on the laptop, while hubby puts his feet up on a folding ottoman.
I'm planning to buy a 24.1 in January. I'm not thrilled with the lack of counters in kitchen. I came up with an excellent idea.

The table top is way too heavy to install and take down all the time, so that will go into storage. I'll get a wood tabletop made to take its place BUT I will cut it in half so there's a separate top on each pole. I'll get some new poles that are higher, counter level. That way I can turn right around from the sink and have a counter behind me. Or I can change the one on the right using the original pole giving 2 different heights. OR, remove that one entirely and put an ottoman in front of the sofa to watch tv. Maybe shorter poles to make a coffee table height for lounging on the sofa?

How about making the wood top on the left go square to the wall thus gaining more counter space! Won't be able to walk around to the sofa on that end but who cares? Can put a trashcan underneath it there too. Can still use the original poles together for a regular dining table too.

All of a sudden a lighter weight wood tabletop cut in half gives you endless possibilities ....if you can get poles cut to size with the necessary pieces for each end.

I'll also get a wood top made for the cocktail table. Rectangle instead of round so it's more usable.

I'm single and will be living with my dog full-time in my new coach next year!

Have an excellent idea for the twin bed configuration too but will hold that for later.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #1148

THOR #8001
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Without removing mattress we keep the tables stored there. Mattress compresses fine. The table storage in the closet is worthless and makes the closet unusable even if the stupid clips would hold (which the don't).
Last weekend I looked at a 2017 Vegas 24.1 and unhooked the tabletops from the side & back of the closet (what a stupid place to put these!). Not only did I really struggle to get them out, but I could NOT for the life of me, get them back in those little plastic clips. Who designed this? Do they really think we'd empty the closet constantly to get these in and out?
Into the overhead bunk they'd go! But I'd prefer to put them behind the couch.
Is 2016 the last year they put them behind the sofa?
Old 07-31-2017, 11:47 AM   #1149

THOR #8001
replace mirror with art

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDinATX View Post
Does anyone like or find purpose in having the mirror by the couch since there's already one in the bathroom and on the hall closet?
I went to a metal supply place with my measurements and got a piece of galvanized sheet metal. Not only does it compliment the decor but it's a dry erase board and magnets stick to it. We use a few photo maganet sleeves to hold photos. My boys like to post the artwork they've done on the trip, you can post campground brochure, wifi info, phone #s, etc. You could post a map marked with places you've visited too.
I'm planning to take down that illogical mirror and putting up a piece of my favorite artwork.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #1150
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenzy
I'll also get a wood top made for the cocktail table. Rectangle instead of round so it's more usable.
The original table in the front was rectangle--our Axis table is a rectangle.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #1151

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #7349
Wow! Lots of good ideas for that heavy table. I particularly like the higher counter behind. I just spent about a week alone in our 2014 24.1 Axis and would definitely have used that. Oh, the fun you'll have making the space evolve with you and your lucky beastie.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #1152

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenzy View Post
Last weekend I looked at a 2017 Vegas 24.1 and unhooked the tabletops from the side & back of the closet (what a stupid place to put these!). Not only did I really struggle to get them out, but I could NOT for the life of me, get them back in those little plastic clips. Who designed this? Do they really think we'd empty the closet constantly to get these in and out?
Into the overhead bunk they'd go! But I'd prefer to put them behind the couch.
Is 2016 the last year they put them behind the sofa?
The clips in our wardrobe to hold the table tops were screwed into the thinnest, cheapest particle board on Earth. The weight of the table tops actually pulled the clips out of the wall while driving around. I'm keeping the big top in my garage and using the small, oval one in front of the couch. The spot on the floor between the Captain's chairs is for our 3 Chihuahua's bed.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #1153

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6698
I bought a smooth black plastic clipboard at Walmart (about $3) and cut it to fit in the tray on top of the center dash area. I used black screws to securely fasten it. I also installed a few 12v and USB outlets underneath the tray, back behind the radio and ac controls. Now I can put my satellite radio receiver, cell phone holder and TPMS holder - all on suction cup mounts - on top of the dash and run the various audio and power cables under the tray through a small hole at the back. I also mounted a circular electrical outlet cover onto the top of the instrument panel access cover so that my GPS, also on a suction mount, is directly above the gauges. I don't have to take my eyes off of the road to see the display. The power wire for it runs underneath the removable panel to one of the 12v outlets. All of this uncluttered the dash area, which was a mess on our last trip. I also mounted a few bins on top of the doghouse (with Velcro tape) to hold small items.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #1154

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Like Mauserdude's idea to use some of the massive dash space productively. Just got our new Axis 25.5 yesterday and already trying to come up with ideas to use some of the wasted space, like the huge dashboard area. Know anything mounted there can't be permanent and must be removable. Area also gets a lot of sun. Also, looking at space between dash and dog house; seems like maybe a 3" deep tray could be installed there to hold some of the crap that accumulates. But, must be easily removed to gain access to motor when necessary. All sorts of nooks, crannies and just unused spaces all over the coach that could be made useful with simple mods. Ideas will come in time and many good ones to be found on these forums.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #1155

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
The clips in our wardrobe to hold the table tops were screwed into the thinnest, cheapest particle board on Earth. The weight of the table tops actually pulled the clips out of the wall while driving around. I'm keeping the big top in my garage and using the small, oval one in front of the couch. The spot on the floor between the Captain's chairs is for our 3 Chihuahua's bed.
Can't understand why Thor wouldn't use molded plastic table tops, like the ones used on boats. Much lighter and strong enough to do the job. Have such a top on our pontoon boat that's 10 yrs old and still good as new. And, you'd think plastic would be cheaper than making these out of super heavy particle board.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #1156

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Did this mod a while back...never got a chance to post.

Nice and clean center dash...

Black plexigass attached with velcro. Splitter has off/on button for each power outlet.

Now my GPS' suck better
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170714_113703.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	6180   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170714_113649.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	6181  

Old 08-29-2017, 12:23 AM   #1157

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Ready Brute Elite surge brake tow bar system

Got back from a two week road trip and tested the Ready Brute Elite tow bar system. After a few adjustments, I was able to dial it in nicely.

I was quite impressed with the simplicity of the setup.

RV Tow Bars
Old 08-29-2017, 02:38 AM   #1158

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
We went with a master tow dolly due to cost. Tow bar would be easier for hook up but we are not in a hurry. I am also replacing the shelf standards in the cabinets because the orig equipment is crap.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #1159

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #9050
Made a center console for our Vegas. 3/4" plywood wrapped in fabric. Has pocket all around for magazines / tablets. Removable center tray for access to compartment within. Fits nice and snug under dash so it does not shift during travels. All of my pics have been rotated except for the 1st one I sent. Sorry.

Name:	IMG_0488.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	6825
Mods - Safe-T-Steer - Roadmaster Sterling Towbar - Tow Defender - KarGard - Thermopro In/Out T-Stat - SS Kitchen Sink - Garmin RV770 - Propane Tee Grill Adaptor - Custom Center Console - Oxygenics Shower Head - 10" Rear View Safety Monitor - Verizon Hot Spot - Radiator Guard - Sumo Springs - Cylinder Locks
Sprinkler-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #1160

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #9050
We were tired of the small plastic kitchen sink so I installed a larger stainless one. I used the stock faucet but will upgrade in the future. Took a lot of research to find the right size and this one just fit in the space. She loves it!

Name:	IMG_0490.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	6826Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	6827
Mods - Safe-T-Steer - Roadmaster Sterling Towbar - Tow Defender - KarGard - Thermopro In/Out T-Stat - SS Kitchen Sink - Garmin RV770 - Propane Tee Grill Adaptor - Custom Center Console - Oxygenics Shower Head - 10" Rear View Safety Monitor - Verizon Hot Spot - Radiator Guard - Sumo Springs - Cylinder Locks
Sprinkler-Head is offline   Reply With Quote