Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #1201
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
thanks Jamie .. we were wondering how flat it would lay with the Camco from Amazon ... since we are in storage, it will be spring before we do this...definitely any improvement...anxious to see how your Camco fits.

thank you Ron and Kay
Yeah mines in storage too but I'll probably install the extension over the weekend--can't resist going to hug the camper

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #1202
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah mines in storage too but I'll probably install the extension over the weekend--can't resist going to hug the camper
yes agree....we miss our camper too !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:42 PM   #1203
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
The counter extension arrived and I did a test fit in the bathroom today. I wanted to make sure the extension wasn't too big for the sink.

With the door closed there is about 1" clearance between the counter and the door and 1.5" between the side of the cabinet under the counter and the door. From those measurements I don't think I can mount the hinge to the counter and instead will have to mount it below the counter (so there is a step down to the extension instead of it being flush with the counter).

I tried to take some pics but I didn't have the batteries on so I only had a flashlight LOL.

I'll probably have some pics after I put it in--will have the lights on and the genny running for that.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:58 PM   #1204

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Looking forward to seeing pics. Very useful mod.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:17 PM   #1205
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:

With the door closed there is about 1" clearance between the counter and the door and 1.5" between the side of the cabinet under the counter and the door. From those measurements I don't think I can mount the hinge to the counter and instead will have to mount it below the counter (so there is a step down to the extension instead of it being flush with the counter).

Jamie.. thankyou for the feedback....Ron agreed that an drop down would work for us...anything is better than nothing ! We are anxious to see your photos !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #1206
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Bathroom Counter extension the good and the bad

TL;DR version: Counter extension looks like it will be a great benefit, however the Camco one hits the door.

Ok more details:
Stopped by the camper this morning to install the counter extension. I already knew from my test fit on Thursday that I'd have to mount it under the counter instead of flush.
Some pics:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-11-18 09.18.29.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	7835
Looks like it will work nicely when extended.

Name:	2017-11-18 09.18.41.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	7836
See how it is below the counter top.

Name:	2017-11-18 09.18.54.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	7837
Note how the support mechanism doesn't let it lay flat against the side of the cabinet. Another option here would be to rout out the countertop where the mechanism screws in so that it is recessed a little like Grgdmsn did with his hinges.

Name:	2017-11-18 09.19.09.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	7838
Fortunately I put this in a while ago because the pin mechanism wasn't holding the door closed while we drive (yeah I know: "How bad do you drive it? sheesh?" LOL). This is the strongest magnetic drawer latch I could get off Amazon--you really do have to yank the door to get it to open. You can see in this pic that I have already moved it out as far as it will go. I'll probably move the whole support there out about 1/4" so that it holds the door away from the counter extension.

Name:	2017-11-18 09.19.30.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	7839
Here is the door riding on the extension. This is why I'll be moving my magnetic stop out a bit--don't want the door adding extra stress to the flimsy paneling and pulling my screws out.

Name:	2017-11-18 09.20.54.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	7840
You can see here how the door is open just a little.

Note that our old 24.1 has the original single door instead of the two independent doors (those installations may work different).

Edit: Another thought--this one is a little more destructive, however LOL. The paneling/wall that the counter top extension is mounted to is the same as everywhere in the RV: A sandwich of two paneling pieces around some 1/2" wood boards. You could cut out the outer paneling in the shape of the shelf mechanism and screw it to the inner paneling (with the benefit that you could but some wood on the backside). This would allow the shelf to fold flat (well at least another 1/2" flatter). It would, however, make a pretty good sized hole in that paneling in the event that you decide to remove the shelf.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #1207
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
TL;DR version: Counter extension looks like it will be a great benefit, however the Camco one hits the door.
Jamie...thankyou for the feedback ! Re the Camco, what you encountered is exactly the concern Ron had when viewing the photos on the Amazon site, I think. Ron is thinking about possibly making a 6" extension or finding a 6x12 cutting board, using a couple hinges and a lightweight locking mech, We shall see what the several months interim brings to us !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #1208
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Jamie...thankyou for the feedback ! Re the Camco, what you encountered is exactly the concern Ron had when viewing the photos on the Amazon site, I think. Ron is thinking about possibly making a 6" extension or finding a 6x12 cutting board, using a couple hinges and a lightweight locking mech, We shall see what the several months interim brings to us !
You could always use a cutting board and another board on a 90 with its own hinge as the lock...hmmm
Kind of like how this one works:
https://www.hayneedle.com/product/fu...&tid=LLYT160-2
The board underneath would still have to be thin enough to allow the counter to drop fully.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #1209

State: Ohio
THOR #6223
Fold up shelf

Sorry vkb it took so long to reply. I used same brackets as one used for kitchen shelf. I ordered them from Camping World. Item #49684. I think they were around $15. As you can see they fold flat down. Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #1210
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grgdmsn View Post
Sorry vkb it took so long to reply. I used same brackets as one used for kitchen shelf. I ordered them from Camping World. Item #49684. I think they were around $15. As you can see they fold flat down. Hope this helps.
How much room do you have between the edge of the counter and the mirror there? (Looks like you have the newer setup with two doors instead of the one bi-fold door.)
On ours I have 1" from the edge of the counter to the door--well I did before the counter top install LOL.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:54 AM   #1211

THOR #6223
I don't remember what I had originally but now I have about 1/2" between shelf and mirror frame. Yes I do have axis with two doors.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:49 AM   #1212
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grgdmsn View Post
ThankYOU ! that does help ..
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #1213
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
LOL well I did a little work on the counter today and just made everything worse off Turning into one hell of a little project for me LOL.

Don't get the Camco counter

Now where did I put Thor's phone # so I can order some replacement paneling.....
Old 11-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #1214
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
LOL well I did a little work on the counter today and just made everything worse off Turning into one hell of a little project for me LOL.

Don't get the Camco counter

Now where did I put Thor's phone # so I can order some replacement paneling.....
Unhappy to hear your efforts went awry Jamie ! How about a sheet of panel from Home Depot/Lowes , rather than waiting on Thor, etc. to respond..
might be better material for the long run...you probably thought of that !

keep us posted !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #1215
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Unhappy to hear your efforts went awry Jamie ! How about a sheet of panel from Home Depot/Lowes , rather than waiting on Thor, etc. to respond..
might be better material for the long run...you probably thought of that !

keep us posted !
Yeah next time I'm there I'll be looking for something that matches.. still have all winter Maybe I'll rebuild the whole sink cabinet before its all over LOL.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #1216

THOR #6223
You'll probably end up with a better cabinet that way. Lol.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #1217
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Well these (Amazon) arrived today:

Name:	2017-11-21 14.07.25.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	7866
Notice how they fold flat.

Now I just have to replace a panel....
Old 11-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #1218

THOR #6223
Nice.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:36 AM   #1219
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Well these (Amazon) arrived today:
Attachment 7866
Notice how they fold flat.

Now I just have to replace a panel....
those look perfect Jamie ! show n tell when you get them installed !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #1220

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #7188
Table Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoar View Post
In the 24.1, the table can not be set up unless the slide is out – didn’t like that. So I robbed the table parts and made rotating tables that can be used anytime.
Attachment 7499
Attachment 7500
I am a little late with the details because, frankly, this mod is good for us but I doubt most would like it, plus it was particularly tedious to build.
The original table legs are run down into the couch cup holders through the low wall at the ends of the couch, and the original top fitting attaches to the top of the new table; this was to lower the table height. To get a single leg to support a cantilever table required some bracing below the cup holders. The only access was through the cup holder hole and a tiny gap at the bottom of the low wall. Reaching down inside the low wall and securing a wooden plate that was finessed up through the gap at the bottom of the low wall to receive the table leg was quite a challenge. At the cup holder hole a special plate was fabricated to replace the cup holder. The hole for the leg and the plug for the cup holder hole had to be eccentric in order for the table to come out horizontal.
The leg must be pinned to the table fitting lest the bottom of the leg will drag on the floor while moving the slide-out.

The table themselves are a laminate of luan and ¾” rigid foam that I fabricate. The foam requires a urethane based glue like Gorilla Glue. There are specially made adhesives for this foam but they make a too weak connection. Gorilla Glue foams so I pile on concrete blocks while the glue is drying. Also the foaming makes the laminate layers slide a bit. I make a 4’x8’ piece then cut it to size. This makes a nice lightweight panel that is very strong and has a lot of uses. We paint the edges of the final table to hide the foam color.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Table 13.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	7885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table 14.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	7886