RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #1241
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 1,051
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFL View Post
Has anyone changed or modified the captain's chairs in 24.1?
Yes, I installed a 7" high base replacing the stock 9" high base. It makes a dramatic difference in comfort being lower. My feet and ankles don't swell anymore on long trips(old age) and is much more comfortable. I think there is another thread on this subject in earlier posts which list some of the vendors where you can get the shorter or maybe higher bases.
__________________

__________________
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1 in Ocala
mcr1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #1242
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 2
THOR #1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Yes, I installed a 7" high base replacing the stock 9" high base. It makes a dramatic difference in comfort being lower. My feet and ankles don't swell anymore on long trips(old age) and is much more comfortable. I think there is another thread on this subject in earlier posts which list some of the vendors where you can get the shorter or maybe higher bases.
That's a big reason for my desire to change the seats or modify them. I'll try searching for the for the posts. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
JOFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:45 AM   #1243
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,171
THOR #1150
Bathroom Counter extension update

Just a small update on this ever expanding project:

This past weekend we found ourselves in Wixom, MI where General RV's world headquarters is located (and it is huge). I stopped by the parts desk with a small sample of the panel I'm looking for--unfortunately, however, they wanted my VIN which I didn't have on me. They did give me the business card for the person with whom I should be communicating.

Just fired off an e-mail to him with all the pertinent information... We'll see:
  • If he responds
  • How long this will take
  • How much a small 32" x 22" panel costs from the factory
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #1244
Senior Member
 
gnach's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
Posts: 633
THOR #6582
Jamie, another possibility is to go to a local cabinet shop to see if there is a close match with Formica or Wilsonart laminates. Their having a piece is a far stretch, I admit but it could be ordered.
__________________
I'm wearing trifocals now but my hindsight is 20/20.
*************
Bilsteins and Sumos front and rear...HUGE! FatMat and Hoodliner...HUGE!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #1245
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,171
THOR #1150
Well got an e-mail back from General RV:
Quote:
Regarding your inquiry, we can get you a replacement panel however the manufacturer only sells their paneling in 4’ x 8’ pieces and it will need to be cut down.

The 4’ x 8’ Olympic Cherry Panel retails for: $59.95 /ea
+
Crating Fee: $50
+
Estimated Freight Shipping: $100.00
----------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $209.95
+
Sales Tax: $12.60
----------------------------------------------------------
Total Estimate: $222.55
ok back to other options ! LOL

I swear this panel from Home Depot looks just like it--at least the pic on the web does.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #1246
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,112
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well got an e-mail back from General RV:

ok back to other options ! LOL

I swear this panel from Home Depot looks just like it--at least the pic on the web does.
Jamie...Ron wants to know if you have looked at scraps at HD or Lowes of thin plywood...which you could stain to match ? just thinking ....
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #1247
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,171
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Jamie...Ron wants to know if you have looked at scraps at HD or Lowes of thin plywood...which you could stain to match ? just thinking ....
No I haven't as my skills at staining anything (other than clothes with food) are really lacking.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #1248
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,112
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
No I haven't as my skills at staining anything (other than clothes with food) are really lacking.
gotcha !! good luck both of us are LOL !!!
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #1249
Senior Member
 
gnach's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
Posts: 633
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
No I haven't as my skills at staining anything (other than clothes with food) are really lacking.
Yeah, but at the price of a raw luan ply panel @HD you could wipe on stain and clear finish and get close enough. True it won't be perfect but even solid color paint, computer matched at HD to your sample, would be satisfactory (to me at least). But that 4x8 panel you showed should be really close. They could cut it for you and you'd still have plenty left over.

Good luck
__________________
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #1250
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
Posts: 23
THOR #6223
Wow

Wow JamieGeek that price is ridiculous. I'm with others get a pc at HD and stain it. Use a brush or wipe it on either way works. I like to wipe it on but wife uses brush. Good luck.
__________________
Grgdmsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:02 AM   #1251
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,871
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
No I haven't as my skills at staining anything (other than clothes with food) are really lacking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grgdmsn View Post
Wow JamieGeek that price is ridiculous. I'm with others get a pc at HD and stain it. Use a brush or wipe it on either way works. I like to wipe it on but wife uses brush. Good luck.
Staining is easy... Especially if you wipe it on... (Might stain your clothes too...lol)
Ace Hardware helped me color match.... I took one of the cabinet doors and piece of the bare wood in with me.

Get the wipe on poly as well to cover/protect and you'll never see a brush strokes in the finish.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #1252
Senior Member
 
PaulH's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
Posts: 122
THOR #9936
Wow..... Just, wow... I've, finally, finished reading the whole thread and can I just thank all who contributed, you guys have given me so many ideas for mods in the future. Some are a bit difficult due to me being in N Ireland and parts are hard to get/shipping from the US is near impossible or prohibitively expensive.
So far, I've added an LPG system for the V10 (gas here would be around $9 a gallon and LPG is half the price), an inverter and solar system, 2x Samsung tv's, LED's to the awning and LED reading lights above the sofa.
My next priority will be the front suspension, can't decide between Sumo or Firestone air assist, the latter I'd couple to a compressor and maybe achieve some height adjustment. Scissor jacks to the front will also be a goal as I miss the jacks on our previous, bigger RV's. Cheers all.
__________________
PaulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #1253
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: California
Posts: 49
THOR #9328
Axis Table Storage

Modified the table storage system in the Axis 25.2. Straps and snaps were purchased from Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71CBF478-82C8-4107-8AEA-6811A4B325EC.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	8151   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC21600F-695A-4CD3-AF19-CF16162B2C89.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	8152  

__________________
B7smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #1254
Member
 
Sprinkler-Head's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 53
THOR #9050
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7smith View Post
Modified the table storage system in the Axis 25.2. Straps and snaps were purchased from Amazon.
Very nice work! How do you keep the tables from sliding side to side?
__________________
Chris & Dorrie & Pups
2017 Thor Vegas 25.2 w/Toad - 2014 Nissan 370Z
Mods - Safe-T-Steer - Roadmaster Sterling Towbar - Tow Defender - KarGard - Thermopro In/Out T-Stat - SS Kitchen Sink - Garmin RV770 - Propane Tee Grill Adaptor - Custom Center Console - Oxygenics Shower Head - 10" Rear View Safety Monitor - Verizon Hot Spot - Radiator Guard - Sumo Springs - Cylinder Locks
Sprinkler-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #1255
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: California
Posts: 49
THOR #9328
Axis Table Storage

There is a chrome button snap attached the table and strap
__________________
B7smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #1256
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,171
THOR #1150
Bathroom Counter extension the saga continues

Well I ordered the laminate from Home Depot. Its pretty thin 0.039" and comes all rolled up in a box. As you can see below it is a bit more red than the panel it will replace but I'm going to go with it.

The next step will be to get a thin backing board so that it is the same thickness--or a little thinner than the current panel and use some contact adhesive to glue it on (there will also be screws going through it holding the counter).
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-09 15.01.38.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	8164
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-09 15.22.09.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	8165
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:52 PM   #1257
Member
 
2015axis's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Alaska
Posts: 86
THOR #5332
2015Axis Mods

Accessories installed to date:

Bullseye coach electric levelers.
Technology Research 120 Volt 30 amp Hardwired Surge Guard.
5 star tuning MotorHome tune.
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars.
Firestone Coil-Rite Front air bags.
Air Lift Loadlifter Rear Spring Kit.
Firestone Ride-Rite air system to Level the air bags and rear Spring Kit.
King Jack HDTV Directional antenna.
Replaced all Keyed 751 compartment locks with Tubular Cam Lock.
Fabricated a Bug / Rock screen for the front grill.
Added Shower Curtain Extension.
Replace bed room TV mount with one that swivels.
Built a 110V, USB Ports, 3 cup holder console that is now between the rear twin beds.
Installed Locking Gas Cap.
Installed Bauer EM Electric remote RV Entry Door Lock

Spent 3 days redoing wiring from front to back. Thor makes a good coach
ford make a good chassis they do a crappy job putting them together, still an ongoing project to correct the slap together job.

Fun / Great RV though.
__________________
2015axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:06 AM   #1258
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,434
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015axis View Post
Accessories installed to date:

Bullseye coach electric levelers.
Technology Research 120 Volt 30 amp Hardwired Surge Guard.
5 star tuning MotorHome tune.
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars.
Firestone Coil-Rite Front air bags.
Air Lift Loadlifter Rear Spring Kit.
Firestone Ride-Rite air system to Level the air bags and rear Spring Kit.
King Jack HDTV Directional antenna.
Replaced all Keyed 751 compartment locks with Tubular Cam Lock.
Fabricated a Bug / Rock screen for the front grill.
Added Shower Curtain Extension.
Replace bed room TV mount with one that swivels.
Built a 110V, USB Ports, 3 cup holder console that is now between the rear twin beds.
Installed Locking Gas Cap.
Installed Bauer EM Electric remote RV Entry Door Lock

Spent 3 days redoing wiring from front to back. Thor makes a good coach
ford make a good chassis they do a crappy job putting them together, still an ongoing project to correct the slap together job.

Fun / Great RV though.
Wow. Iíve done 100,000 miles in four RVs in the last 10 years and havenít done that many mods on all four together. One thing you havenít mentioned is a TPMS. I would put that near the top of my list. A second is a Clean Dump macerator system for the waste tanks. I thank myself every time I dump. Also, I find a small inverter to run small 120v devices and recharge my laptop a real plus. Hope to get to use your RV as many hours as you have put into it. Happy RVing.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:10 AM   #1259
Member
 
2015axis's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Alaska
Posts: 86
THOR #5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Wow. Iíve done 100,000 miles in four RVs in the last 10 years and havenít done that many mods on all four together. One thing you havenít mentioned is a TPMS. I would put that near the top of my list. A second is a Clean Dump macerator system for the waste tanks. I thank myself every time I dump. Also, I find a small inverter to run small 120v devices and recharge my laptop a real plus. Hope to get to use your RV as many hours as you have put into it. Happy RVing.


I enjoy making things just a bit better have a few more mods that I would like to do but the ones Iíve done to date have corrected a few of the flaws. Thanks for the suggestions will add that to the list
__________________
2015axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #1260
Senior Member
 
croused's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 180
THOR #6877
looks nice but its much easier to store tables under mattress of drop down bed and not have to get into closet every time.
__________________

__________________
croused is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×