Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2018, 02:26 AM   #1281
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grgdmsn View Post
Don't use a hole saw it will walk. I suggest a dremel and a steady hand to open up an existing hole.
Yeah I don't think I have a steady enough hand for a Dremel. Did a little internet searching and the consensus about a hole saw was to make a wooden plug for the existing hole with the center drilled out to act as a guide for the center drill bit of the hole saw. I may try that, and covering the plastic with tape prior to cutting to prevent cracking, etc.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #1282

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah I don't think I have a steady enough hand for a Dremel. Did a little internet searching and the consensus about a hole saw was to make a wooden plug for the existing hole with the center drilled out to act as a guide for the center drill bit of the hole saw. I may try that, and covering the plastic with tape prior to cutting to prevent cracking, etc.
That's what I would do. I would reverse the drilling counter clockwise...otherwise the teeth on the hole saw will bite too much into the plastic. Go really really slow...
Old 01-15-2018, 04:25 AM   #1283

Model: Vegas 25.1
State: Florida
THOR #6308
25.1 Vegas dinette

Hey all! I’m considering removing the dinette and replacing it with a small table and two comfier chairs. Has anyone done such a mod and can share pictures? I’ve seen some good ideas on Pinterest (gotta love the Pinterest!), but would love to see it done in a rig like mine.
Thanks!
Rose
Old 01-15-2018, 04:55 AM   #1284
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseColson View Post
Hey all! I’m considering removing the dinette and replacing it with a small table and two comfier chairs. Has anyone done such a mod and can share pictures? I’ve seen some good ideas on Pinterest (gotta love the Pinterest!), but would love to see it done in a rig like mine.
Thanks!
Rose
Hi Rose ! I have not seen this done in your type motorhome... however, we enjoy going to the RV shows this time of year..and we do see the table and chair situation in a lot of different units. Why not ? I think it is a neat idea.

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #1285

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Funny. When I bought my first Vegas in 2014, people on this forum started petitioning Thor to replace the two chairs with a dinette. It took them three years to finally do it and now you’re going to take the dinette out and replace it with chairs. Actually, I think it is great that people are modifying these small Class A’s to fit their lifestyles and wishes. Why not. The better you like it, the more you will tend to use it. And that is what they are for.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #1286

Model: Vegas 25.1
THOR #6308
We’ve put over 25,000 miles on it in two years, so we get plenty of use. Those fool cushions on the dinette are terrible. They’ve flattened some where we sit (definite butt prints ��), so we won’t need the extra bed. I’m thinking a small table and some fluffy chairs that will be comfortable for reading and relaxing (as well as eating) might do the trick.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #1287

THOR #2025
Let your imagination run wild.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #1288

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Jamie, you don't say how much you have cut, but if you tape over the hole and scribe the new circle, you should be able to gently dremel or even a rasp bit on a drill motor to the line. Even with my tremor.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:31 PM   #1289

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3723
Added a Keypad Door Lock

After a lockout on Christmas Day we decided we needed to upgrade the lock. Came with a wireless key fob, and 2 keys.
http://a.co/ilmhYeT
Some unexpected plus features:
1. Both the deadbolt and main lock are keyed identical.
2. If main lock is "locked" the door can't be shut. So no locking yourself out to begin with.

Negatives:
1. Screen door required a bit of trimming on the frame.
2. I had to swap out the two "bolts" above and below the main lock to clear the striker plate.

Other than that it's a nice upgrade with a relatively simple installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381a.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	8590  
Old 01-16-2018, 12:15 AM   #1290
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Jamie, you don't say how much you have cut, but if you tape over the hole and scribe the new circle, you should be able to gently dremel or even a rasp bit on a drill motor to the line. Even with my tremor.
Not sure yet how much as I'm out of town on business. Will get back to it this weekend.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:32 AM   #1291

State: Washington
THOR #3723

Jamie, I did this sort of mod too. I used a dremel. The plastic is easy to round out by just letting the dremel walk around the existing hole until its to the size you need. Test fit...dremel...test fit...dremel.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #1292

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Rose, check out this thread putting to recliners in the slideout. It's a different model, so take good measurement for your plans. http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...uch-10590.html
I replaced our dinette with a flip trifold sofa. I had to relocate the seat belts to the back wall and a bunch of trim molding has to be change yet, but it's really worth it.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:12 AM   #1293

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Jamie, you might try a step drill. They come in a couple of sizes.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #1294
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
About that Dremel... ! LOL

Another mini-project finished: Installed the voltmeter/USB charger. Adding this brings the # of USB charge plugs in our RV up to 12 (8 of them are 2+ Amps)--if you can't find an open spot to charge your device in our unit you aren't looking hard enough. Now I have a permanent 12V meter on the dash (looks like those plugs are connected to the chassis battery).

As a bonus the spade connectors fit the USB charger perfectly--all I had to do was unplug the 12V socket and plug in the USB charger.

Yes the Dremel made quick work of the hole but none of you mentioned the mess it would make LOL. 20,000 RPM shoots that stuff everywhere! We'll be finding black bits of plastic for a few seasons now.

Name:	2018-01-19 08.36.01.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	8617

Name:	2018-01-19 08.36.22.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	8618
Old 01-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #1295

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Outdoor Kitchen vs Ext TV... Vegas

I've been thinking. What if I could convert my exterior TV space into a small kitchen area with a stove and table at least.... Has anyone tried this?
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 PM   #1296

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Another mini-project finished: Installed the voltmeter/USB charger. Adding this brings the # of USB charge plugs in our RV up to 12 (8 of them are 2+ Amps)--if you can't find an open spot to charge your device in our unit you aren't looking hard enough. Now I have a permanent 12V meter on the dash (looks like those plugs are connected to the chassis battery).

As a bonus the spade connectors fit the USB charger perfectly--all I had to do was unplug the 12V socket and plug in the USB charger.

Yes the Dremel made quick work of the hole but none of you mentioned the mess it would make LOL. 20,000 RPM shoots that stuff everywhere! We'll be finding black bits of plastic for a few seasons now.
Attachment 8617
Attachment 8618

I have a similar looking plug-in adapter in our Axis. Mine has 3 12v cigarette lighter type outlets plus some USB charging ports. I tried mounting plug box under the dash pocket that your cell phone is pictured in but the mounting tape strip supplied with the unit, along with 2 additional velcrow tabs didn't hold it and it came lose on our last trip with the Axis. I'd like to secure the plug box with a couple of screws but not sure there's room for that. Could also maybe fashion some sort of bracket to hold the plug box under the center dash panel. Where and how did you mount the plug box?
Old 01-23-2018, 12:53 AM   #1297
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
I have a similar looking plug-in adapter in our Axis. Mine has 3 12v cigarette lighter type outlets plus some USB charging ports. I tried mounting plug box under the dash pocket that your cell phone is pictured in but the mounting tape strip supplied with the unit, along with 2 additional velcrow tabs didn't hold it and it came lose on our last trip with the Axis. I'd like to secure the plug box with a couple of screws but not sure there's room for that. Could also maybe fashion some sort of bracket to hold the plug box under the center dash panel. Where and how did you mount the plug box?
If you are talking about the little recess that the radio remote is sitting in--I was using my phone to take the pic--that came with the coach and is part of the dash.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:41 PM   #1298

State: Maryland
THOR #5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
Here are the dedicated outlets...I will be installing one more in the rear of the coach. If I want to power the entire coach...shut down the converter...use 15 to 30 amp dog bone...bingo!

The wiring was not fun

That fire extinguisher is on recall.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:30 AM   #1299

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21793 View Post
That fire extinguisher is on recall.
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had a chance to look into this.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:21 AM   #1300

State: Colorado
THOR #6975
Bathroom mod

My bathroom mod
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2DC1817E-DF49-43B4-9D19-020835DCAF46.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	114.3 KB