Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #1381

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by captrandy View Post
Hi Randy,

I am going to be replacing both house and chassis batteries very soon and I saw your posts about the battery fill devices. Very cool idea, as Thor was clever enough to make access to the forward house battery to be in accessible without removing the battery to the rear. The chassis battery is also impossible to fill without removing the computer work table etc.

I have one questions that I hope you can answer. How do you know when you have added the appropriate amount of water without being able to see the water level in each cell?

Thanks for your Posts,

Randy
Just add water every month or two. The fill system will only let the water go into a low cell. Once all the cells are full to the correct level the filler ball will be hard and you wont be able to squeeze it. Thats when you stop
You never need to at water levels again

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:38 PM   #1382

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #8654
Thanks for the tip on saving a few bucks
Old 12-28-2018, 11:12 PM   #1383

THOR #8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Just add water every month or two. The fill system will only let the water go into a low cell. Once all the cells are full to the correct level the filler ball will be hard and you wont be able to squeeze it. Thats when you stop
You never need to at water levels again

Jerry
My two coach batteries seem to be too large to have access to the forward battery fill caps. I have ordered the fill kits as recommended on this site. I ordered the double kit for the coach batteries and the single kit for the chassis battery along with the filler kit. Great Idea.

I am going to be ordering two new coach batteries but wondered if anyone had a recommendation as to what group size fits best. The ones that were installed by Thor are too long to access the forward cells for filling.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 12-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #1384

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
My two coach batteries seem to be too large to have access to the forward battery fill caps. I have ordered the fill kits as recommended on this site. I ordered the double kit for the coach batteries and the single kit for the chassis battery along with the filler kit. Great Idea.

I am going to be ordering two new coach batteries but wondered if anyone had a recommendation as to what group size fits best. The ones that were installed by Thor are too long to access the forward cells for filling.

Thanks,
Randy
Well no matter which battery you have it will still be tight under the step. I was able to install this watering system on my Axis last year without removing the batteries. Its a tight fit but it will work.

Buy they didnt last but 9 mo so I replaced with two 6v AGM's and I love them. They are group 27 so its a tight fit but Zero maintance so that dont matter.

I think the OEM battery size was goup 24?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:30 PM   #1385

THOR #8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well no matter which battery you have it will still be tight under the step. I was able to install this watering system on my Axis last year without removing the batteries. Its a tight fit but it will work.

Buy they didnt last but 9 mo so I replaced with two 6v AGM's and I love them. They are group 27 so its a tight fit but Zero maintance so that dont matter.

I think the OEM battery size was goup 24?
Thanks for the info on battery size. I was told by many that the charger that comes with the AXIS is not compatible with AGM batteries.

I will just go with flooded batteries to be sure of compatibility.
Just have to take some good measurements to be sure of Group size.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 12-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #1386
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well my spring mods/to do list is increasing LOL
  • New Taillights (LED)
  • Water pump silencing kit + accumulator tank
  • Fantastic Fan for the main hatch (yeah our coach is old enough that they weren't standard) (This will be the 4th FF I've installed in our RVs over the years.)
  • Digital Thermostat (already done)
  • Thinking about: accent LED lights somewhere

When the parts come in I usually take them over to the RV and plop them on the couch (so they don't litter the house LOL). The couch is getting quite full.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #1387

THOR #12231
Quote:
Thanks for the info on battery size. I was told by many that the charger that comes with the AXIS is not compatible with AGM batteries.

I will just go with flooded batteries to be sure of compatibility.
Just have to take some good measurements to be sure of Group size.

Thanks,
Randy
Well I would not say they are NOT compatible. Its just that they cost more money and they charge much quicker and hold a chare much longer that you dont need to leave the RV plugged very much at all (IMO). I was fraid the cheap OEM converter would ruin them over time.

Before I would plug the RV in for a few days then unplug it (I was afraid to boil the OEM batteries so I baby them). But after two weeks they would be at 50% so I was charging them every week for a day or two - then CW had my RV for a week and kill them dead and would not replace - it was only 9 mo old to me so I replaced with two AWESOME 6V AGM's.

Now I will plug if for 24 hours every two or 3 weeks. I could even go longer. They barely loose any charge while sitting in my storage.

Santa left me a Progressive Dynamics Smart charger under my tree (thanks Santa). Once I install that I wont worry as much. But really no reason for me to leave plugged in all the time anyway. But now when im at a Camp ground I can leave plugged in all the time for the AC and just because im paying for the electric anyway.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #1388

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well my spring mods/to do list is increasing LOL
  • New Taillights (LED)
  • Water pump silencing kit + accumulator tank
  • Fantastic Fan for the main hatch (yeah our coach is old enough that they weren't standard) (This will be the 4th FF I've installed in our RVs over the years.)
  • Digital Thermostat (already done)
  • Thinking about: accent LED lights somewhere

When the parts come in I usually take them over to the RV and plop them on the couch (so they don't litter the house LOL). The couch is getting quite full.
Yep, same here. My list was a mile long last spring, I was able to modify or improve all of the main things that concerned me. And a leaned a ton while doing it.

I still have some led accent lights, Like to install a 12v fan up front and two led reading lights, mabye led tail lights (or at least seal up so they dont leak and cause damage).

300 watts of Solar (maybe - no rush for me) and some general maintance + preventative maintance stuff.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:50 PM   #1389

THOR #8654
Quote:
Well I would not say they are NOT compatible. Its just that they cost more money and they charge much quicker and hold a chare much longer that you dont need to leave the RV plugged very much at all (IMO). I was fraid the cheap OEM converter would ruin them over time.

Before I would plug the RV in for a few days then unplug it (I was afraid to boil the OEM batteries so I baby them). But after two weeks they would be at 50% so I was charging them every week for a day or two - then CW had my RV for a week and kill them dead and would not replace - it was only 9 mo old to me so I replaced with two AWESOME 6V AGM's.

Now I will plug if for 24 hours every two or 3 weeks. I could even go longer. They barely loose any charge while sitting in my storage.

Santa left me a Progressive Dynamics Smart charger under my tree (thanks Santa). Once I install that I wont worry as much. But really no reason for me to leave plugged in all the time anyway. But now when im at a Camp ground I can leave plugged in all the time for the AC and just because im paying for the electric anyway.
As my OEM batteries are 4 years old, I figure it's time to replace them before they fail on the road.

I always have them on a small solar charger to keep them topped off while parked for the summer in Florida. Worked great for two summers, but now we will be traveling all Summer out west or someplace other than HOT Florida.

Good luck with you AGM's

Randy
Old 01-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #1390

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
Jamie is correct. The steering wheel blocks full rotation.
I was able to achieve full rotation by removing the left arm rest.
When I purchased my rig, the left driver’s seat arm rest was a full two inches lower than the right arm rest when in the downward position.
So during the repair process...I discovered a way to remove it (push in very hard and rotate back all in one motion to remove)

Once I was able to remove and make the proper repair to gain equal levels for both drover’s seat arm rests, I realized that the seat could now be fully rotated to face to the rear.

So if you are squatting in one location for a long period and desire full driver’s seat rotation, remove the left arm rest.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #1391
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I was able to achieve full rotation by removing the left arm rest.
When I purchased my rig, the left driver’s seat arm rest was a full two inches lower than the right arm rest when in the downward position.
So during the repair process...I discovered a way to remove it (push in very hard and rotate back all in one motion to remove)

Once I was able to remove and make the proper repair to gain equal levels for both drover’s seat arm rests, I realized that the seat could now be fully rotated to face to the rear.

So if you are squatting in one location for a long period and desire full driver’s seat rotation, remove the left arm rest.
There is a procedure for turning it without having to remove the arm rest--someone figured it out and posted a youtube video of it. (that quote of aa9zz talking about me saying you can't do it is quite old now.)
Old 01-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #1392

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
AGM Batteries

I agree with Long and Winding about replacing the batteries with AGMs. I have had mine for some time now and they keep their charge better than the OEMs. I would take some of the comments against them with a large grain of salt. We had to install ours on their sides under the steps to get them to fit. I have posted the exact size on the other thread on the topic.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #1393

THOR #12231
Yep, AGM's rock.

I read something the other day saying the AGM will charge much quicker and allow a high current than lead acid.

6 volt will take much more abuse IMO too!

If you want a direct replacement AGM look at the Full River 6v AGM (DC 220). They will fit upright under the steps of the Axis/Vegas with NO MODS and give you about the most amp hours you can get in the same foot print (Except for lithium of coarse).

Easy to hook up - just take your time. Lots of writeup on this subject (going from 12 V to TWO 6 V).

I did a writeup last summer on them.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #1394

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
OMG ... Some truth in false facts
This off-topic battery topic lacks technical understanding.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:26 PM   #1395

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
OMG ... Some truth in false facts
This off-topic battery topic lacks technical understanding.
Huh? Just keeping it simple to let him know about AGM 6v replacement batteries for the Axis. If he is intrested in this upgrade he will need to do his research on this forum and elsewhere (or post his questions).

Way to many "options" and "opinions" when it comes to batteries.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:26 AM   #1396

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Huh? Just keeping it simple to let him know about AGM 6v replacement batteries for the Axis. If he is intrested in this upgrade he will need to do his research on this forum and elsewhere (or post his questions).

Way to many "options" and "opinions" when it comes to batteries.
Ok ... I'll play for a minute more... lol ...
Quote:
Yep, AGM's rock.
"opinion" ... I like them too, but what makes them rock?
Comparing new AGM to bad FLAs they replaced is a poor reference!

Certainly not cost effective for a pavement pounding RV. Splitting hairs about the delta performance, capacity, charge differences between AGM and FLA seems a bit silly for those that occasionally off-grid camp. I can only guess people are compelled for some reason to justify the luxury spend in ways other than not wanting to add water?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road
I read something the other day saying the AGM will charge much quicker and allow a high current than lead acid.
AGM batteries are Lead Acid! ... I think you meant FLA or Flooded Lead Acid. Obviously there are positive & negative characteristics, this is a long topic opinionated widely in forums. Understanding, long term experience and Context is everything...
Quote:
6 volt will take much more abuse IMO too!
BS ... false and simply wrong for apples to apples comparison

Quote:
If you want a direct replacement AGM look at the Full River 6v AGM (DC 220). They will fit upright under the steps of the Axis/Vegas with NO MODS and give you about the most amp hours you can get in the same foot print (Except for lithium of coarse).
This ^^^ is great information That step sucks for fitting battery options.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:33 AM   #1397

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Maintenance

I will just add this. Most people have maintenance free batteries in their daily driver cars for a reason. Flooded batteries are messy and require more maintenance. I, for one, like reducing this piece of maintenance because there are many others to be dealt with. I also went with two 6 volt AGM batteries under the step and yes, it took a bit of fabrication just like every other damn thing with an entry level RV. If you don't want to spend the extra money on the AGM batteries, your choice. I did, don't regret it. And they do perform better when I am dry camping.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:37 AM   #1398

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Ok ... I'll play for a minute more... lol ...

"opinion" ... I like them too, but what makes them rock?
Comparing new AGM to bad FLAs they replaced is a poor reference!
I dont think so. The AGM are far superior to what I had OEM before....That what I was comparing them to. Sure you could get some FLA 12v that out perform the OEM 12v as well ..... but why not step up to AGM 6v (as long as you can afford them and thats what you want).

[/QUOTE]Certainly not cost effective for a pavement pounding RV. Splitting hairs about the delta performance, capacity, charge differences between AGM and FLA seems a bit silly for those that occasionally off-grid camp. I can only guess people are compelled for some reason to justify the luxury spend in ways other than not wanting to add water? [/QUOTE]

Nope, not the most cost effective. Sure you could look at it as a luxury esp compared to the OEM... .You dont "have to have them" but they are nice to have (IMO).

[/QUOTE]AGM batteries are Lead Acid! ... I think you meant FLA or Flooded Lead Acid. Obviously there are positive & negative characteristics, this is a long topic opinionated widely in forums. Understanding, long term experience and Context is everything... [/QUOTE]

Yep, if they want to learn about every aspect of the FLA, AGM, Gel, Lithium batteries they can search one of many thread on this forum or on the old interweb like I did. It took me a month (or more) to figure out what was best battery option for me. And Im glad I looked at all the pros and cons of all battery types. I apprecated threads like this that pointed out a drop in replacements that I didnt know existed for my small RV.

[/QUOTE]BS ... false and simply wrong for apples to apples comparison [/QUOTE]

I was comparing Battery to Battery... One cost more than the other but it has advanages over the cheaper one.

Kinda like a comparing a cheap small crab apple to a more expensive Wash Extra Fancy Red Delious Apple. LOL.

[/QUOTE]This ^^^ is great information That step sucks for fitting battery options.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the step is not the best place for them... but with such a small RV they have to make the best of the space they have.

Tycreek- You have made some valid points. That’s what’s great about this forum. We have many new members trying to find out info about their "New" RV's and what improvements they can do themselves.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:41 AM   #1399

THOR #12231
TyCreek.... How did you get my "qoutes" to look like they did on your thread above? I thought mine would look like yours wehn I posted it ....but they dont. Im still learning on this forum.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:45 AM   #1400
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
You have to put BRACKET quote BRACKET some stuff you're quoting BRACKET /quote BRACKET.
If you want to include the "source"
BRACKET quote=source BRACKET they said this BRACKET /quote BRACKET
That will look like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by source
they said this