Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2015, 03:58 AM   #281

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Axis gets a track bar

Track Bar Installed today... it needed several modifications to get the angles right.

Sure did a lot of rolling under the Axis getting things marked, ground, cut, drilled and lined up!
- Frame bracket ground down 1/4 to fit brace above gas tank

- Cross Brace slightly notched to accommodate bracket in max rearward position

- Brake line mount drill and tap for new position

Old 05-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #282

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #1434
Getting the coach back today after have several mods added. Since I'm not very mechanically inclined, I found a local RV Service Center that doesn't charge $9000/hr like CW to do the mods. Here's what I had added:

SAFE T PLUS STEERING STABALIZER

TORNADO BLACK TANK FLUSH (Jamie I had it installed in the back of the tank with filler connection mounted inside of compartment. I'll send PIC's)

FATMAT ADDED TO DOGHOUSE. THEY ACTUALLY ADDED TO LAYERS. MORE INSULATION TO DO "A" BEAMS AND WINDSHIELD PILLARS

ADDED OXIGENICS SHOWER HEAD

ADDED HDMI SPLITTER TO RUN HDMI CABLE FROM SATELITE TO OUTSIDE TV

ADDED STS TPMS. JUST DONT HAVE THE PATIENCE TO DEAL WITH PROCESSES LIKE THIS. MY BAD!!

I have a few more mods to do but have to get the unit back to CW to fix a dent that put in it while it was there for 7 weeks and do some comeback work on my grey tank monitor. Originally black and grey tank monitor lights were switched. CW repaired that issue, but when they returned the unit the grey tank monitor always reads 2/3 full. Guess they are not much on quality control.

Later

Tom
Old 05-15-2015, 01:07 AM   #283

THOR #1944
751 Key Swap

All locks replaced with a less commonly keyed lock. It amazes me how many people don't know "almost" everybody has a 751 key! Why even have it locked?

What do you keep in your 751 locked compartments?
Old 05-15-2015, 02:08 AM   #284
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I keep all my 751 locks locked all the time. Not to prevent theft but just to keep the doors closed while going down the road.
I've considered replacing the locks in every camper we've owned though.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:29 AM   #285

THOR #1944
A "travel lock" or a door closure safety device is a certainly a valid representation of a 751 lock. Protection from simple easy access, it is not! The word "lock" might give some a false sense security.

For sure, a less common key combination doesn't eliminate easy access for somebody with a key or complete disregard for a crowbar approach... it does however, greatly reduce the commonness of the easy non-obvious opportunity.

Consider the typical untraceable value just behind a set of 751 locks? Example: How much does it cost to replace RV items like the shore power cable, power protector, adaptors, etc... and then think about how much somebody might get quickly for "opportunity" to access those items?

Why present this opportunity to everybody that might be in the area I happen to stop? Changing the 751 locks is a small piece of mind or limited insurance one might say, for a fee of about $50

Anybody know of a security camera recorder firmware update for factory unit or an appropriate aftermarket system that does this? For some reason I just like the idea ... maybe worth looking into someday! It would be worth it to record just one person taking the opportunity of trying their 751 key on a door!
Old 05-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #286

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
TyCreek...did you find the replacement locks on line?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #287
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
TyCreek...did you find the replacement locks on line?
check out this site where you can pick your code.

CH751 Security Upgrade
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #288

THOR #1944
I measured the cam lock length and ordered my replacements a while back. Used 10 on my rig leaving only the outside shower still keyed 751 because that cam length is different. I'd like to carry one less key but there's little chance I'll find a shorty cam with the same key as the others.

Sorry, I don't remember the length or where I ordered from ... but rvlocksandmore or Amazon come to mind.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #289

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Thanks Dave and TyCreek. Will put this on my list of things to do.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:44 AM   #290

THOR #1944
External Propane Tap

Have had this Extend a Flow box for some years now just taking up room on a shelf.

The regulator has a rubber hose outlet so this is a piece of cake to install.

Ah, yes... reverse threads!

The hose kit finally found a home and I'm happy to have external propane again!

Don't'ya just hate it when you're in the middle of cooking a nice steak and discover all the packed bottles are empty?
Old 05-16-2015, 06:14 AM   #291

THOR #1944
Looked for an 8" display shroud but didn't find one to fit... So a piece of smoked plexiglass got bent and trimmed to shield the screen. Hoping to reduce bright light washout for a slightly clearer camera view.

Note to self ... bandsaw blade is getting dull.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #292

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Tycreek,

Looks nice. You can "polish" the edges of Plexiglas with a propane torch if you want. Practice on scrap first!

Randy
Old 05-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #293

THOR #1944
The facing cut edges did get a little doctoring up yesterday. If it works to cut down the light glare as is hoped... I'll most likely make a more permanent one out of carbon fiber. The plexiglas was handy and a step up from using cardboard as my prototype. DW wasn't too keen on the shoebox look
Old 05-20-2015, 06:38 PM   #294

Model: Vegas
State: Kansas
THOR #2031
Shower modifications

I am new to this forum and to rving. I have been reading some of the mods for vegas and axis and have seen some ideas for the shower. My first attempt was an assault by the shower curtain. My wife had to hold the shower curtain away from me. Would those who previously posted please send more pictures or details please? Thank you.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #295

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Welcome to the form and hope you have many good experiences with your Vegas. Most of us have enjoyed ours. Below are a couple of links to some shower and bathroom mods that I could find and they are more, but could not find them right away. If you search long enough they will pop up.
If you have read thru the form on Vegas and Axis, there are numerous mods that can and should be done, but it takes time and most mods if left undone are not show stoppers.
Happy trails.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-go-820-9.html

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...html#post11464
Old 05-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #296

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2036
I am leaning toward a 24.1 or 25.2. The bathroom door on the 24.1 seems awkward. I haven't seen the 25.2 yet. But all these mods are making me shy about buying my first motor home. I am in my upper 70's and am wanting to use it rather than continually make mods. Do all motor homes require all these mods?
Old 05-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #297

State: Tennessee
THOR #1434
Who's added a rear stabilizer bar to their Axis? If so what brand and where did you acquire it. I've added the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer. But since we have a cross country western trip this summer, I think a rear stabilizer will help with some of the winds we will encounter out west. Trip starts in TN thru MO, KS, CO, UT, AZ, CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY and back to TN.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #298
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Deant:
We make mods because we want to, not because we have to. Just like a house it is never just perfect so we make changes (some big, some small) to make it a bit more to our liking. For the first year of our 24.1 the only mod I had made was the sewer hose storage shown at the very beginning of this thread.

A good example is the bathroom door on the 24.1: Some people love it, and some people hate it. Those that hate it have done something about it (remove the door, replace with something else). Note, though, for 2016 Thor has changed the door; it looks like its now two doors that close off both the front salon and the rear bedroom when fully "open".

Tomspen: The only thing we've done to the suspension on our Axis is get the front end aligned. Over the Christmas break we drove it from MI to FL and back with both myself and my wife driving. Neither of us really had any complaints about how it drives (and my unlucky wife ended up driving through some really nasty weather and traffic).
Old 05-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #299
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Here is a simple mod I just did to prevent the side window curtains from deteriorating in the sun (one of ours is already falling apart). In stead of storing the unit with those curtains closed (and fully exposed to the sun), I picked up a 4' X 10' roll of window shade from Camping World:

Multi-Purpose Foil, 4' x 10' - Four Corners AO2012-003 - Window Covers - Camping World

This stuff is very easy to cut with scissors. I first cut it in half (yielding two 4' X 5' sheets) and then cut each sheet to fit the sides:

Now when the Axis is in storage (and not covered during the summer months) I'll be putting these up instead of closing the curtains.

I may end up buying a second one to make a front window cover but that shade seems to be surviving the UV pummeling its getting.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #300

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2036
I appreciate this long thread. A lot of good info. My dealer should be getting the 2016 24.1 and the 25.2 in next month. Outside of my local dealer do you have suggestions on where I can get a good price?