Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #1341

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Axis/Vegas Mods...1,2,3 Go.

My latest modification which I decided to purchase after my door lock broke a few days ago. Dead bolt broke loose, jammed and had to call a locksmith to open. At least my roadside service is covering the cost of the locksmith though ($85.).

[ATTACH]12825]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2161.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	12825  

Old 09-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #1342

Model: Axis 25.1
State: California
THOR #2792
We love our RVLock. It has given us no issues since we installed it and it works great!
Old 09-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #1343

THOR #1123
Think your previous post gave me the idea to get the same one. Thanks. An easy install and am sure it’ll work well. Love the options of being able to use keypad, fob or key.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #1344

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well I happen to click on a link gmtech provided for a volt/amp meter (Amazon, don't click !) and yesterday it magically showed up--not sure how that happened?

Since I was already going to winterize the coach today (boo ) I figured I'd spend the few minutes (ok like 60 of them) putting it in.
...There is no mystery now: We'll know when we're about to blow the main--or the post--breakers.)
Great mod. Well told.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:36 AM   #1345

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Colorado
THOR #11629
I built a console to fit over the transmission doghouse. It has a drawer, two cup holders, a compass mounted on top that almost always points north (but it was for decor only) and still some space on the flat top for other stuff. It dramatically reduces heat and noise from the engine compartment. Photos follow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4295.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	12876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4296.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	12877  

Old 09-18-2018, 02:43 AM   #1346

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Thats awesome! I been looking for something like that for my Axis. I would like something compact enough that it dont interfer with leg room getting in and out of the captain chairs but also had two cup holders and some storage space.

That is top notch sir.

I wish I was as handy with wood as you are sir. But I might take a stabe at it if I find some free time this winter.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:44 AM   #1347

THOR #11629
Here's a photo of a couple of more things I've added to my Vegas 25.3. I installed an OBD-2 scanner on top of the dashboard and have it set to display my speed, real-time gas mileage and the distance traveled since starting the engine. It's so hard to see the regular speedometer - this makes it so much easier. Plus, I can monitor 15 or so other functions as well as diagnostic codes.

Also, I've got two sunglass holders stuck to the dash. They're just sticky rubber - no glue. Found them at the grocery store where all the kitchen cleaning supplies are (they're for holding scrub brushes on the sink). But they're awesome because you don't have to look far from the road to get your glasses.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4481.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	12878  
Old 09-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #1348

Model: Vegas
State: Texas
THOR #10201
Dimensions

That is great, have been looking for something like that. We insulated the doghouse under the dash and anywhere else we could and it made a big difference in the heat and noise. We can actually talk in normal voices now. The problem is the cup holders are shallow and glasses don’t fit very good. That’s just wasted space there so why not use it. My question is do you have the dimensions that you used, and how did you attach it or did you?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #1349

THOR #11629
Hi Bidcop:

I put double sided tape (3M exterior mounting tape) on the bottom edge of the console to stick it to the dog house. Easy install and I can pry it off if necessary.
I'm going to draw up some plans when I get some time and then I'll post them. I would assume the dimensions are the same but you'll want to verify. I use ABS plumbing parts for cup holders. I've glued 4" lengths of 3" diameter ABS pipe into the existing cup holders and all our travel mugs fit great. A soda can fits right inside and the ABS is actually an insulator. See the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3810.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	12879  
Old 09-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #1350

THOR #12231
Skbarbee, Tell me more about the scanner. Is that the one you just plug into the port under the steering wheel? Is that your phone on the dash or a screen that came with the scanner? Is it BT or does it have a wire going up to the screen/phone?

Which one did you purchase?

I like to do something like that. Once I tinted my side windows you can hardly read the dash unless your lights are on. Thanks.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 09-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #1351

THOR #11629
Hi L&WR:

I bought the VJOYCAR P12 OBD Scanner on Amazon for $59.99. The screen in the photo is the actual scanner that I attached to the dash with double stick tape. There is a patch cord that I ran under the dash cowl and plugged it into the OBD-2 port at the driver's right knee.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #1352

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
All,

Just another angle would be a HUD (Heads Up Display) thru the OBD plug. I got one on-line (under $35.00) there are very many choices.
There is a plastic mylar reflective screen that you attach to the inside of the windshield with the unit actually attached (dbl sided sticky tape) to the dash in the lower corner. Monitors RPM, speed and engine temp. There are other things it can monitor but those are the ones I use.

DocMike

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1537282094
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My HUD.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	12884  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #1353

THOR #6975
Looks great this is the best one that I’ve seen so far I think I will try to match this
Old 09-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #1354

THOR #12231
Thanks. I will look into. I think this would be handy for me. Very hard to read dash in the day time plus at night it will help keep my eyes on the road. Not to mention I like to play with the other feature light temp, mpg etc.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #1355

THOR #12231
Ok, I looked up the same exact one on Amazon but it was $65.99.

Where did you purchase yours?

Also it looks like you can use it as a screen or as a HUD by reflecting off the glass? So it must have a feature to reverse image?

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #1356

THOR #11629
It looks like the price went up since I bought it. It appears to have a reversing function so you can use it as a HUD but I like the way I have it set up because I can easily reach it and scroll through all of the data fields if I want to.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #1357

THOR #12231
Ok, thanks. I put one in my cart to review and compare to others I might find.

Im also looking into the MOBILE EYE that gives your speed (which is important to me) but it also looks out for traffic and center line of your lane to give you warnings if your wandering, following too closely, if someone stopped or walking in front of you etc. You stil have to press your own brake petal but if you get distracted for 2 sec. with radio or rear view camera (or sleepy) it could be a real life saver. Esp in a high profile vehicle that takes longer to maneuver or stop than a car.

Im waiting for someone on this forum to write up a review on it.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #1358
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Ok, thanks. I put one in my cart to review and compare to others I might find.

Im also looking into the MOBILE EYE that gives your speed (which is important to me) but it also looks out for traffic and center line of your lane to give you warnings if your wandering, following too closely, if someone stopped or walking in front of you etc. You stil have to press your own brake petal but if you get distracted for 2 sec. with radio or rear view camera (or sleepy) it could be a real life saver. Esp in a high profile vehicle that takes longer to maneuver or stop than a car.

Im waiting for someone on this forum to write up a review on it.
Thor is installing the Mobile Eye on some of the 2019 units.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #1359

THOR #12231
Yes, and I seen them on the sprinter chassis RV's for 2018 as well.

Looks like a good product but pricy.

I just search for one on Amazon - they dont sell that brand but have some cheap dash cams with early warning systems built in for like $59 to $109 but all of them have bad reviews.

I would love to pickup a dash cam with some (if not all) of the features of the Mobile Eye - Esp if its much cheaper. But I also want something thats going to work and not be a nuisance.

I guess I will keep looking and wait for a good RV review of Moble Eye or a competitor.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:23 AM   #1360

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #11915
I’m new to this thread and just got my 2019 Vegas 24.1 on Sat. Learned a lot from you so far. How do I see your photos? I only saw one and all others just have an empty square in the note.