Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #1441

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Ok, thanks. Yeah I think the rear will help but I was so impressed with what the front bar did so much I left it alone.

Im still on the fence for sumos.... Im afraid it will firm up the ride too much for my tastes. I think my Axis rides great now... might just change shocks in the near future.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #1442

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Helwig Rear Sway Bars is $280 on Amazon
Rear Sumo’s about the same price

Both are ez DIY install since you have your BigFoot levelers
Old 02-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #1443

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Have Sumo's on front (for porpoising - bouncing and its was an easy install) and Safe-T-Plus (for side wind/trucks) on steering. Front end alignment is a must. I have never had any issue with rear end swaying even when towing a jeep in high gusty winds. But I have a 25.3 on E450, not an E350.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #1444

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertconley View Post
Hi all
We had our Axis 2018 24.1 since July 2018...
Rear summos or Firestone Air rides?

Rear Helwig track bar or anti sway bar?

and last will replacing the factory shocks help improve the ride....

I first mod of mine was Bilsteins and Sumos F&R and I thought the ride was vedry good. The I started towing our Tacoma. Staying at the legal limit I was getting buffeted by passing semis. So, first the front and then rear Helwigs and then bit hard for larger tires. The 235/85s @ 80lbs feel really nice. It's honestly a pleasure to drive now. Coming south on the Pacific Coast Hwy1 in northern Calif was a stretch, for about a mile, of perfect weinies, continuous S-curves. I was alone one the road and it felt like slalom skiing.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:13 PM   #1445

THOR #12231
Here we go again... This Forum is making me spend more money! Does it ever end?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #1446
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertconley View Post
Hi all
We had our Axis 2018 24.1 since July 2018. We love it to travel in it. I Have been reading this forum since then. So I've installed a few things that have really helped, but need some advise from other Axis / Vegas owners. My Suspension installs and adjustments so far. Road Master steering Damper, front summo springs, and Ford alignment.
These have greatly improved the drive ability of the unit.
We intend to eventually tow a car, so While I am upgrading the rear suspension for ride and help with sway. what is better to put in?

Rear summos or Firestone Air rides?

Rear Helwig track bar or anti sway bar?

and last will replacing the factory shocks help improve the ride.

thanks in advance for your help this forum has already made our first MH more fun and more usable.
Hi...Ron wanted me to reach out to you...since you have read everyones input regarding front and rear adjustments...he wanted you to know that he installed Sumos front and rear on our 2016 24.1 in May 2016...other than an alignment last summer, he has done nothing else. He likes the ride and personally feels that we nothing else. If considering Sumos on the rear...be sure to go to the Sumo website and find the exact Sumo your Axis requires.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #1447

THOR #14563
Did you have this professionally installed or DIY?
Old 02-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #1448

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyrls View Post
for me...i installed everything myself

but you need the tools

for the front and rear SUMO's...it's much easier if you have the auto leveling system to raise the coach and frame to get underneath
otherwise, you will need a jack on blocks that'll raise the frame and still allow you to crawl underneath
so many who do the jack method need two jacks

for the Helwigs...to install you need the frame to sit as it normally does
so you put your coach on blocks (which most everyone has)
that elevates the front (or rear) high enough to crawl under and replace the whimpy stock sway bars

both installs are available to view on-line by searching utube
Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #1449

THOR #12231
Really none of this stuff is very hard to install. If you can change your own oil and have a few hand tools around you should be fine installing these mods yourself. Just take your time.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:43 PM   #1450
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyrls View Post
Ron installed them … he used his floor jack and necessary tools to install the Sumos.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 02-28-2019, 11:48 PM   #1451
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Ok, thanks. Yeah I think the rear will help but I was so impressed with what the front bar did so much I left it alone.

Im still on the fence for sumos.... Im afraid it will firm up the ride too much for my tastes. I think my Axis rides great now... might just change shocks in the near future.
Your thoughts are exactly like Rons. He just wanted the ride firmed up enough to keep it from dipping and diving when on secondary roads...and to give it, again, the firmness when driving in crosswinds. Other than that he was relatively happy with the ride.

Everyone is different in what they like, for sure.

Ron and Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-01-2019, 01:49 AM   #1452

THOR #13362
Replaced plastic kitchen sink with SS sink & SS drain ($79 @ Home Depot + $9.95 on Amazon)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1287413-ADB0-4095-B49D-226D2837A776.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	15899  
Old 03-01-2019, 01:57 AM   #1453

THOR #13362
Replaced plastic bathroom sink with SS sink + Brushed Nickel pop-up drain + Single Lever faucet + Liquid Soap dispenser ($35 + $11+ $20 + $11...all on Amazon)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A84E4241-760F-4516-BDF7-4C00EE516787.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	15900  
Old 03-01-2019, 02:24 AM   #1454

THOR #13362
Installed Progressive Industries (lifetime warranty) hardwired 30amp Surge Protector with wired remote display ($200 on Amazon)

Wired after the Shore Power/Genny transfer switch
I chose to leave remote in the compartment with the surge protector until I find a suitable place to mount. Remote has a 13’ cord.

FYI...I see many RVs Parked & connected with less expensive external/plug-in surge protectors. But cannot find an external Surge protector with a lifetime warranty.

Also in photo is the Seaflo pre-pressurized accumulator tank for better water pump performance ($27 at Amazon)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	59C41FC7-F03E-44AC-B0E4-40DDDF98C622.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	15901  
Old 03-01-2019, 03:16 AM   #1455

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
I dont have the Sumos (im afraid they will make the ride to rough for me... I like my ride like it is now) but I plan on upgrading my shocks in the near future.
I had that worry too and FWIW... With HD Sumos on the front of our Axis, the ride was actually better e.g. less rough! One thought is, maybe eliminating bump stop contact?
Old 03-01-2019, 05:18 AM   #1456
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
I had that worry too and FWIW... With HD Sumos on the front of our Axis, the ride was actually better e.g. less rough! One thought is, maybe eliminating bump stop contact?
Ty...that is exactly what Ron thought...when he did the Sumo install he was surprised regarding the original bump stop..and the dead space in there...with the Sumo there is no wiggle room.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-01-2019, 05:20 AM   #1457
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Replaced plastic kitchen sink with SS sink & SS drain ($79 @ Home Depot + $9.95 on Amazon)
We still have the acrylic sink in the kitchen..I have found a SS 16" sink at IKEA for $50...which we will get if and when we find the need to change it out. Being old school...I am pretty careful with the original sink.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #1458

THOR #12231
Quote:
I love the SS sink... This is on my long term list of mods. I dont mind the pastic sink (for now) but I just know one of these days we will put a hot pan in the sink and its all over.

I like the fact that light shines though the plastic sink so it make it easier to see what I want under the sink area.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #1459

THOR #12231
Quote:
Installed Progressive Industries (lifetime warranty) hardwired 30amp Surge Protector with wired remote display ($200 on Amazon)

Wired after the Shore Power/Genny transfer switch
I chose to leave remote in the compartment with the surge protector until I find a suitable place to mount. Remote has a 13’ cord.

FYI...I see many RVs Parked & connected with less expensive external/plug-in surge protectors. But cannot find an external Surge protector with a lifetime warranty.

Also in photo is the Seaflo pre-pressurized accumulator tank for better water pump performance ($27 at Amazon)
Yep, I love these two mods.... I have both on my Axis as well.

I purchased a cheap digital readout that I will mount over my fuse box this spring. That will tell me the amps coming in and what im using with my appliances etc.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #1460

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:

installed correct, you will love the sumo's... installed incorrect... you won't..I've been to the sumo factory in carpenteria and did R&D work with Gerry,and have fixed numerus poor installs..sumo's can be installed to any result you are after...more preload to add to spring capacity and such..sumo's can add GCC.....as in if you have a lot of tongue weight and want to stop the sag... and yes, I know it will not up the GCCR... the rating from the factory is always still the same... no matter if you change the rear end and springs..it's a factory rating...

not saying a grass hopper can pull a plow, but if you put the grass hopper on an ox it will...