Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #1461

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
pic
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #1462

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Thats an awesome trailer.... Whats inside of it?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #1463

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Installed Progressive Industries (lifetime warranty) hardwired 30amp Surge Protector with wired remote display ...snip... Wired after the Shore Power/Genny transfer switch. I chose to leave remote in the compartment with the surge protector until I find a suitable place to mount. Remote has a 13’ cord.

Clean work Bob, I like the sinks. I put my Prog Ind EMS ahead of the 110v feed also and I,too, left the remote in that compartment until I can fish the line under the floor and forward but it will be too short to reach the entrance. Cleaning up the rat's nest of factory wiring makes it look tidy. I did move the USE/STORE relay off the floor where it would get wet in the eventual water pump replacement.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:11 PM   #1464

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Thats an awesome trailer.... Whats inside of it?
https://youtu.be/v3WG-AOsSNs

I bought the empty shell and did the build out my self,... we have 2 rzr 1000's we haul to the dunes,... and we have 2 fiat 500's one auto and one stick... the stick we flat tow and the auto we take in the trailer..

Old 03-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #1465

THOR #12231
Thats awesome. SO can you fit one Razor sideways in the front and one Fiat in the back at the same time?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 03-02-2019, 03:07 AM   #1466
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
I first mod of mine was Bilsteins and Sumos F&R and I thought the ride was vedry good. The I started towing our Tacoma. Staying at the legal limit I was getting buffeted by passing semis. So, first the front and then rear Helwigs and then bit hard for larger tires. The 235/85s @ 80lbs feel really nice. It's honestly a pleasure to drive now. Coming south on the Pacific Coast Hwy1 in northern Calif was a stretch, for about a mile, of perfect weinies, continuous S-curves. I was alone one the road and it felt like slalom skiing.
Ron just re-read your message and picked up on the fact that you replaced the original tires with larger tires...he has thought about that...do you feel it helped..do you have enough clearance up front turning with the larger tires? The small tires on the 24.1 has always been an issue with Ron having been used to the large tires we have on our 4x4 Ford.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #1467

THOR #12231
You could turn the wheels each way and measure the clearance..... I would think you could go about one inch wider and one inch taller (so overall about .5 inch of lift) without interfearing with anything. And your overall gearing should be acceptable.

Might be able to go two inches taller (one inch of extra height) but I would be afraid your gearing would change too much and you would have to lower your rear end gearing.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #1468

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Ron just re-read your message and picked up on the fact that you replaced the original tires with larger tires...he has thought about that...do you feel it helped..do you have enough clearance up front turning with the larger tires? The small tires on the 24.1 has always been an issue with Ron having been used to the large tires we have on our 4x4 Ford.
Yeah. those puny Light Truck tires Ford puts on look like a Hot Wheels toy. I'd been paying close attention to posts about larger tires like the 16.5" wheels with commercial tires but it was gmtech16450yz'swrite up about his change out to 235/85 Michellin highway threads that got me moving. We were about to head out on a northern trip last Oct and I wanted some better grip in case of light snow. The tires exceed the rigs GVWR and they fit...very snug in the back but nicely in the front. They ride nicely, fairly quiet (unnoticed) and don't seem any harsher. I think the taller sidewall helps. I've also had good comments about the "chubby" look.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #1469

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Axis/Vegas Larger Tire Post

This is the thread you are looking for with details on changing out the stock Axis/Vegas tires for larger size

Axis/Vegas larger tire swap

To do it right, it’s a big job

Old 03-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #1470

THOR #6582
Quote:
This is the thread you are looking for with details on changing out the stock Axis/Vegas tires for larger size...
To do it right, it’s a big job
Yep, if you're an artist. This time I'll take GE (good enough!)
Old 03-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #1471

THOR #13362
Quote:
Yep, if you're an artist. This time I'll take GE (good enough!)
Gnach:

On your larger tire mod...

1) Were you able to maintain adequate clearance on fronts without modifying wheel wells?

2) Did you use stock rims?

3) Finally, were you able to modify Speedo to display accurate MPH?

That is...if all above answers are YES, then it’s only about cost of new larger tires and everything else remains the same, right?
Old 03-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #1472

THOR #6582
Quote:
Gnach:

On your larger tire mod...

1) Were you able to maintain adequate clearance on fronts without modifying wheel wells?

2) Did you use stock rims?

3) Finally, were you able to modify Speedo to display accurate MPH?

That is...if all above answers are YES, then it’s only about cost of new larger tires and everything else remains the same, right?

Well Bob, I got 2 out of 3. It's raining now, but I'll post photos.

1) The clearance is okay, no rubbing. The new tires are 1 1/2 inches bigger in diameter so the rig is 3/4" taller, gained underneath. I didn't see any increase in gas mileage but I've been towing. I don't feel any loss of power pushing the bigger tires, either. They "feel right".

2) Yes, the stock rims work just fine. I need have another $1K for pretty rims.

3) I use a ScanGuage II. Before the tires, it was more accurate (with the GPS) than the speedo, but now both are off by approx 10%. The Garmin is my speedo now. I contacted a speedo shop, silly me, today's speedos are driven by the computer, so it seems an after market tune kit could fix that.

The rear tires are very close to the wheel well side. Snow chains won't fit. A blow out will cause body damage but that's a given anyway.

-edit Anybody want to chime in on correcting the speedo?
Old 03-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #1473

THOR #13362
Old 03-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #1474
vkb

THOR #3510
THIS IS OFF SUBJECT...and I apologize..but this thread is sooo good I had to share....
this afternoon we watched the movie RV with Robin Williams. Anyone who has not seen it...it is hilarious ! A fun couple hours filling our CCCCOLD AFTERNOON...with the Axis still covered and snowed in.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-03-2019, 01:47 AM   #1475

THOR #12231
Yep, thats a funny movie.

Its cold down here in AR as well.... We are expecting snow tommorrow (SUN) and its March already!
Old 03-03-2019, 02:50 AM   #1476
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Yep, thats a funny movie.

Its cold down here in AR as well.... We are expecting snow tommorrow (SUN) and its March already!
yes...we are supposed to get 4-7 inches of snow Sunday with a low of 13 here in KC area..we still have snow on the ground from last week !! We want to head to AR when it warms up.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #1477

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Quote:

1) The clearance is okay, no rubbing. The new tires are 1 1/2 inches bigger in diameter so the rig is 3/4" taller, gained underneath. I didn't see any increase in gas mileage but I've been towing. I don't feel any loss of power pushing the bigger tires, either. They "feel right".

3) I use a ScanGuage II. Before the tires, it was more accurate (with the GPS) than the speedo, but now both are off by approx 10%. The Garmin is my speedo now. I contacted a speedo shop, silly me, today's speedos are driven by the computer, so it seems an after market tune kit could fix that.

Would like to upgrade to the Michelin's at some point also! Was wondering if the 5 Star unit will correct that speedo problem, anybody have experience with this?
Old 03-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #1478

THOR #6582
silly me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichFigs View Post
Would like to upgrade to the Michelin's at some point also! Was wondering if the 5 Star unit will correct that speedo problem, anybody have experience with this?
Well silly me, of course there's a Youtube video for everything. Only this time you need an OBD tuner. I wish my ScanGauge could do this. -gary

https://youtu.be/DTgkDg1l1PA
edit: at $229 I'm less enthusiastic about this.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:24 AM   #1479

THOR #12329
Quote:

The rear tires are very close to the wheel well side. Snow chains won't fit. A blow out will cause body damage but that's a given anyway.

do a 5 star tune,... tell them the new tire size and they will add that to the tune, comes out spot on....
Old 03-04-2019, 01:27 AM   #1480

THOR #12329
Quote:
Thats awesome. SO can you fit one Razor sideways in the front and one Fiat in the back at the same time?
I built it so they both go straight in...