Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2020, 04:37 AM   #1821

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #12858
Could we see a picture of Added shelves and a magazine rack to the rear/side walls of the bedroom?

Old 01-21-2020, 01:57 AM   #1822

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: North Carolina
THOR #16745
Has anyone replaced their shower curtain for any type of door? We love the Vegas and are pretty set on getting it but we like to do our research and plan out what we want and one of the main things i wanted was a shower door instead of a curtain.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:54 AM   #1823

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Florida
THOR #16050
Hello, I'm having the same issue with my radio/turn signal. Can you please explain how to update the radio software?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired&LovingIt View Post
My husband and I purchased our 2018 Thor Axis 24.1 in November 2018. Though we love our RV, it has not been problem free. During our walkthrough, the salesman said the refrigerator would cool down to temp in an hour or so, it still was not cooling after five days. We had it serviced locally under the warranty.

My husband is very handy and can build anything so I thought I'd share the mods we have made during our first year.

1.Upgraded the software on the Axxera radio so it stopped cutting out when we turned on the turn signals.
2.Replaced the two heavy tables with three lighter, more useful tables. Having two at the couch allows much better access to the couch. They are attached slightly off center to allow them to swing close to the table for eating. These smaller tables now easily slide in, and store next to the couch.
1.Built a new side storage console for the passenger seat that fits cups, magazines, the speaker and is more useful.
2.Built a new side console for the driver seat that is higher, fits cups and placed the windshield wiper controls there. The current location was hard to use and distracting.
3.Built a wooden console with cup holders and a large drawer between the two front seats.
4.Attached and repaired all the heat vents. Several were not connected from the factory.
5.Added insulation to the doghouse. There was none.
6.Added a spare tire on the outside, under the rear bunks.
7.Straightened, and adjusted the driver’s seat back a few inches. It had been installed crooked from the factory.
8.Added a shower dispenser to shower and water filter at external water connection.
9.Replaced the hose on the shower to a flexible one and added a hook to attach to the ceiling.
10.Added shelves and a magazine rack to the rear/side walls of the bedroom.
11.Added clear plexiglass fronts (with space at bottom to drain) to all the shower shelves so that we could store other toiletries (razor, scrungie, bath cleaners, etc) in the shower. This was a wonderful addition as it added lots permanent & visible bathroom storage.
12.Added broom/clothes hooks and toothbrush holders to the bathroom.
13.Added a magnetic latch by the front door for quick access to a flashlight.
14.Added the Campco bar to the screen door.
15.Replaced the TV brackets for both inside TV’s with ones that rotate and tilt for better viewing.
16.Purchased two folding ottomans for storage. When folded, they store perfectly in front of the passenger seat and create the perfect passenger footrest when traveling. This solved the problem with the passenger seat being too high.
17.Purchased a small foldable step stool to place in front of the bed. It was hard enough to get into the bed, but we also added a mattress topper which added another 3 inches, so the step stool was needed.
18.Replaced the thermostat on the a/c with a Honeywell digital programmable one to stop the radical temperature swings.
19.Added a large automatic clock that includes the outdoor temperatures. When traveling, we store the sensor in the refrigerator so we don’t leave it behind, and we can easily see that it is working properly.
20.Purchased a small digital thermometer for the freezer.
21.We use fabric bins in all the overheads for storage in the bedroom. They are labeled and it makes it very easy to load/unload and see what’s stored there.
22.Added a small shoe rack next to the inside front step (just behind the passenger seat).
23.Added a ham radio, mount for iPad (navigation) and portable speaker to front dash to improve communication and navigation.

Still on the to-do list
1. Resolve why the Audible and Chirp Apps do not play without cutting in and out on the front radio.
2. Replace the couch chairs with recliners.

We appreciate all the wonderful ideas and modifications that have been shared in this forum. As you see, we have already put many of them to good use - while adding some others we thought of as we traveled.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #1824

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWeems View Post
Has anyone replaced their shower curtain for any type of door? We love the Vegas and are pretty set on getting it but we like to do our research and plan out what we want and one of the main things i wanted was a shower door instead of a curtain.
The shower is curved in our 24.1 so I don’t see how a door could be added. I do seem to remember reading a thread where someone had installed a door in place of the curtain on one of the non-curved showers. I did a quick search and some threads popped up, but not the one I was thinking of.

Our shower curtain was too short, but I learned from these forums that Bed, Bath and Beyond carries the Hookless brand of curtains. I purchased the interior liner portion from there and replaced the short one that came with our RV. It helped keep the water in the shower instead of on the floor.
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #1825

THOR #13816
Here is the link for the update for the radio.

Product Firmware Updates

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:44 PM   #1826

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Go back to post #185 in 2015 to see my add plexiglass between the toilet and the shower in my Vegas. There are several other shower mods in the same vicinity, but the curved shower rod that was installed in my 2016 Axis and all newer versions gives you the most room in the shower. A full enclosure would be smaller.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #1827
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Regarding the SHOWER IN THE AXIS !!
I am stating the obvious...
yes it is smaller than what we all would like to have...however, I was determined to make it work (whereas, Ron will be happy to take the walk to the CG showers, he always finds someone to visit with along the way!)
So...for those who have not figured it out or are looking for a fix...the latter of which is not going to happen....
after adjusting the water temp, etc …stand with your back to the wall facing the curtain....in doing so the water is directed away from the curtain.
so there ya go...someone !!! .
please make a funny remark !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:44 AM   #1828
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Regarding the SHOWER IN THE AXIS !!
I am stating the obvious...
yes it is smaller than what we all would like to have...however, I was determined to make it work (whereas, Ron will be happy to take the walk to the CG showers, he always finds someone to visit with along the way!)
So...for those who have not figured it out or are looking for a fix...the latter of which is not going to happen....
after adjusting the water temp, etc …stand with your back to the wall facing the curtain....in doing so the water is directed away from the curtain.
so there ya go...someone !!! .
please make a funny remark !
LOL The funny remark is: that is what I do as well.

I haven't had an issue with the small shower. Would I like a larger one? Sure, who wouldn't but for all the other positives of the camper I'll take it--it works, we get clean and, most importantly, we're camping! Have to rough it somewhere LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:58 AM   #1829

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GB...b_b_asin_image

Easiest shower water escape fix. 15 seconds to install.

We don't have a problem with the shower. I'm guessing anyone who's ever had less, feels they now have more.
It beats a cold bucket and sand(about to be mud) while someone holds a floor mat up to block the wind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000Y...b_b_asin_image
Last week a friend's toilet in their fifth wheel freaked out and didn't set the valve. Flooded the whole trailer after filling the black tank.
The scupper gets installed next week next to the toilet.
If I like it one will go next to the coach tank and under the kitchen sink.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #1830

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #17787
Quote:
It may be really difficult to maneuver within the shower area with a door rather than a curtain. I literally stand outside of the shower basin and lean in to wet my head. Then it's yoga once I'm in. Doesn't help being 6'5"...
Old 02-05-2020, 03:42 AM   #1831

THOR #14267
Photos

Sorry for the delay. Here are a few photos of the upgrades we have made. The center console/drawer, side consoles, and tables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4619.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	22450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4621.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	22451  

Name:	IMG_4643.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	22452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4648 (1).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	22453  

Old 02-05-2020, 01:59 PM   #1832

Model: Vegas
THOR #10201
Thanks

Thanks for the pics. I gotta a few questions though. What kind of wood was used and how thick, and the picture of the mod on the drivers side. Can you rotate the captains chair to the side? It looks like it would get in the way of turning it. Your husband is very talented. They all look flawless. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #1833

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #17787
Wow! That’s beautiful. My factory table has already detached from its mount. I’ve been contemplating the most efficient use of the pedestals and this looks like exactly what I want to do. Thanks for sharing.
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #1834

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #17285
25.2 has the largest shower in the Axis. 30 x 24. Unfortunately they stopped building that floor plan in 2019 because it wasn't selling. We love ours as we can even fit a shower chair in it.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #1835

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #17285
I had him add a paper towel rack in the kitchen. I put up command hooks in the bedroom for bathrobes and pajamas, plus in bathroom for wet swimsuits. Wall mounted tissue box holders in living room and bedroom. Small changes but make full time RV life better. Tossed the original mattress and bought a 10" Dynasty cooling memory foam mattress. Dash mounted suction phone holder since we use Google maps.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:55 AM   #1836

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #6975
Tables

This is the table base that I use you can mount any kind of a table item they rotate 360° as well as the table itself rotates 360° putting them in the right place. The one in the slide goes in and out with the slide so there is no hole in the floor it can turn so it can be used as an extension for the kitchen. The tops are just made out of plywood half inch with a small reinforcing area where the amount to the table leg. I put a little ring around them so things don’t slide off quite so easy. I have several pictures I will post only two or three if you need more let me know. I cannot find how to load photos if you could help me I would send them .
Old 02-06-2020, 01:53 AM   #1837

THOR #6975
We are working on the pictures
Old 02-06-2020, 02:48 AM   #1838

THOR #14267
The tables are made of Appleply (maple), the consoles are maple plywood. Yes, the drivers chair still turns just fine. My husband is very talented and he continues to make changes and “upgrades” after each trip. The drivers chair drove him crazy as it appeared to be installed crooked. He moved it a bit and it turns easier, and is perfect now.

One upgrade I did not share before which he loves is the new compartment he added for the sewer hose. Separating it from everything else. He ordered a door from Thor, so it looks like it was installed at the factory.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #1839

THOR #6975
Pictures

Pictures trying to post. It has taking me a while to get this posted if anybody has any questions I’ll try to take care of it the one picture is the table leg that you can mount any of the tables on it’s very useful
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6D22483C-84C1-401C-AE53-41ADB01A47BE.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	22467   Click image for larger version

Name:	23D415EA-941D-40AC-81B5-A581CB3EC823.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	22470  

Name:	72BF27C8-0F25-4809-ABD3-B5EE8624F324.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	22471   Click image for larger version

Name:	304162D5-5955-4C18-BCCA-C9BED7BFDFA5.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	22472  

Name:	179F2182-8702-484B-9AFD-1710C99A6272.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	22473   Click image for larger version

Name:	7D546FCB-AC0C-4D6B-9758-1674919ABC7B.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	22474  

Name:	A0487AAF-A78C-4D83-84E9-FB6E7ACF8181.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	22475  
Old 02-06-2020, 10:35 PM   #1840

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired&LovingIt View Post
The tables are made of Appleply (maple), the consoles are maple plywood. Yes, the drivers chair still turns just fine. My husband is very talented and he continues to make changes and “upgrades” after each trip. The drivers chair drove him crazy as it appeared to be installed crooked. He moved it a bit and it turns easier, and is perfect now.

One upgrade I did not share before which he loves is the new compartment he added for the sewer hose. Separating it from everything else. He ordered a door from Thor, so it looks like it was installed at the factory.
Please, may we have some more...