Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #481

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
On models where Thor offers a dinette or a couch for same location, does anyone know what is the typical cost for the more expensive option of the two?

The $2,000 seems reasonable as a retrofit, but as a substitution from the factory I would expect very little difference, particularly when compared against the 24.1 couch that opens into a bed.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:31 AM   #482

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Wow.. Pretty neat! Do you mind me asking about how much it cost? Looks like a great installation.
It's around 4k. It probably depends on what you have and where it's installed too. The hour rate of the installers could significantly change the price up or down.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:55 AM   #483

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Agree with mcr1010, a nice job which would be more practical for us than a couch. Forward facing seats with seat belts are a must.

As I recall, the space where your dinette is installed was not the same as in other Axis/Vegas with dinettes in slide. If you don't mind me asking, what size dinette did you end up with. I'm assuming it's custom size. If folded into a bed, how large would the bed be (seems to be the normal way to measure dinette sizes)? Like 42"X68" or something close to that?

Thanks for posting picture of the finished conversion. Maybe Thor will finally offer a dinette option in place of couch as they do on other models.
They ended up cutting 5 inches on each side. The dinette table remained untouched.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:59 AM   #484

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
That's a bargain for having Camping World do it!

Bruce
Trust me Bruce...having CW do the job was a very challenging experience. I think the job could have been done for 1k.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:20 AM   #485

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
I know some of you with the 24.1 have built trays for the center cushion in the rear bed. I bought a tray from Amazon for 15.00, removed the legs, attached a 1x2 strip on each side and added some masonite legs the thickness of the cushion. Works great and looks pretty good.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:34 AM   #486
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by srolfe View Post
I know some of you with the 24.1 have built trays for the center cushion in the rear bed. I bought a tray from Amazon for 15.00, removed the legs, attached a 1x2 strip on each side and added some masonite legs the thickness of the cushion. Works great and looks pretty good.
Please post photos...sounds interesting
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #487

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526

Had Bigfoot Automatic Leveling Jacks added at M&B Enterprises in Yuma last week. Work great on bad sites.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #488

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
Just a quick one today. I ordered a Pro-Fill battery watering device for the chassis battery and installed it today. As usual, Amazon was cheaper than CW, even with the Good Sam Discount.

The install was really simple and took about 15 minutes. The hardest part was getting the old caps off. One went flying down in the engine bay and I never did find it.

I want to do the same for the house batteries, but I wasn't sure there was enough headroom. Having the device in-hand I checked and it should fit fine.
Randy
I could not get the profill installed on to the 3 forward cells of the house batteries. Not enough headroom. If you were able to, could you share how?
Old 03-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #489

THOR #3216
Was quoted $699 at Camping World for a Safe-T-Plus installed. I live about 3 1/2 hours from the factory. $450 installed, $80 gas. An adventure awaits... My first Walmart campout.
Hendersonville, NC
billnagle6900@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #490

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
They ended up cutting 5 inches on each side. The dinette table remained untouched.
Thanks. Sounds like they made the seat cushions 5-inches narrower per side. Is that right?

If my understanding is correct, I assume that means that since most Axis/Vegas have 74-inch-long dinettes, that the finish product when set up as a bed is about 64-inches long?

By the way, I noticed most ACE floorplans have 40X60 dinettes, so yours is not unusually short. Also, a shorter seat cushion may be more comfortable for some. Many dinettes with bottom cushions at 24-inches are too deep for my wife. She would probably find your dinette more comfortable (again, assuming I understood correctly the modification). Thanks again for the feedback.

P.S. -- For what it's worth, I checked Sprinter Siesta 24SA and 24SS models, and they come with a dinette as standard, and the couch with air bed as an option. I could not find the cost adder for the couch/bed. My only point is that if Thor offered the dinette from factory on 24.1 floorplan, it may actually lower cost.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #491

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Hey bill, what's the deal with headroom? My forward 3 cell bank was easier than the back due to leverage. I didn't notice any clearance issues on my rig. What do you have in the way on yours?

Here's a picture of a different angle from groswald's and it's wide open for fitting the pro-fill into the forward cell bank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4090.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	1574  
Old 03-16-2016, 11:40 PM   #492

THOR #3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Hey bill, what's the deal with headroom? My forward 3 cell bank was easier than the back due to leverage. I didn't notice any clearance issues on my rig. What do you have in the way on yours?

Here's a picture of a different angle from groswald's and it's wide open for fitting the pro-fill into the forward cell bank.
That looks like a chassis battery. My house batteries are under and partially forward of the entry step.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:51 PM   #493

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnagle6900@gmail.com View Post
Was quoted $699 at Camping World for a Safe-T-Plus installed. I live about 3 1/2 hours from the factory. $450 installed, $80 gas. An adventure awaits... My first Walmart campout.
Do it yourself. Trust me...it is not that bad. More importantly, CW will never fine tune the steering stabilizer like you would. They may slap it on and forget it. CW is not fully vested in the details...at least in my experience they were not.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:59 PM   #494

THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Thanks. Sounds like they made the seat cushions 5-inches narrower per side. Is that right?

If my understanding is correct, I assume that means that since most Axis/Vegas have 74-inch-long dinettes, that the finish product when set up as a bed is about 64-inches long?

By the way, I noticed most ACE floorplans have 40X60 dinettes, so yours is not unusually short. Also, a shorter seat cushion may be more comfortable for some. Many dinettes with bottom cushions at 24-inches are too deep for my wife. She would probably find your dinette more comfortable (again, assuming I understood correctly the modification). Thanks again for the feedback.

P.S. -- For what it's worth, I checked Sprinter Siesta 24SA and 24SS models, and they come with a dinette as standard, and the couch with air bed as an option. I could not find the cost adder for the couch/bed. My only point is that if Thor offered the dinette from factory on 24.1 floorplan, it may actually lower cost.

Correct. You need to have a small "behind" to be comfortable. It would have been better if they took a few inches off the table as well.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #495

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Bill,

I took mine to the factory for installation of the Safe-T-Plus...you will meet the nicest staff (most are family), they will install it and then you drive around and they adjust it until you are happy with it. I ran over potholes, unlevel roads, road construction, dirt roads and - of course - crazy Highway at 85 MPH with 4 stops for "tweaking" before I signed off. Not only did I get to walk around and watch the units get produced, I got a couple of neat cups and caps to boot along with the free install!

PS Most of the staff barrel race, so if you are into horses bring it up in the discussion!! My wife used to do show horses...it was hard to get her to leave. Really nice people, mention my name (or Sheree's name as she sent one of the staff a horse bit she no longer needed...used for horses that were "busy").

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:41 AM   #496

THOR #2526
[IMG][/IMG]

Photo of Safe-T-plus installed. Passenger side (left) utilizes the sway bar rear bolt.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:47 AM   #497

THOR #2526

FYI should have new recliners installed by end of month (March) and will be selling dinette.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:53 AM   #498

THOR #3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Bill,

I took mine to the factory for installation of the Safe-T-Plus...you will meet the nicest staff (most are family), they will install it and then you drive around and they adjust it until you are happy with it. I ran over potholes, unlevel roads, road construction, dirt roads and - of course - crazy Highway at 85 MPH with 4 stops for "tweaking" before I signed off. Not only did I get to walk around and watch the units get produced, I got a couple of neat cups and caps to boot along with the free install!

PS Most of the staff barrel race, so if you are into horses bring it up in the discussion!! My wife used to do show horses...it was hard to get her to leave. Really nice people, mention my name (or Sheree's name as she sent one of the staff a horse bit she no longer needed...used for horses that were "busy").

Doc
Sounds great Doc.
RVfigs...I don't fit under my Vegas. My DW would prefer me not mess with the steering in a vehicle she rides, anyway...She of little faith.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:45 AM   #499

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Looking forward to seeing the end result.

I may have missed it in a previous posting but what are you doing with the seat belts?

Bruce in NoLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
FYI should have new recliners installed by end of month (March) and will be selling dinette.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #500

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnagle6900@gmail.com View Post
That looks like a chassis battery. My house batteries are under and partially forward of the entry step.
Sorry ... had chassis battery on the brain ... yes the battery under the step lip was a tight fit. I slid the 3 plug section into position at an angle until the floats lined up with their holes and then rotated it into position.