Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2016, 01:09 AM   #681

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
Cell phone booster

Just installed a Weboost Drive 4G-M in my 24.1. Seems to work really well in my driveway - boosted the signal by 5-15 db and seemed to really increase data transfer speeds.

Here's what I did:
- Attached a 8x16" metal plate to the top of the fridge vent cover for a ground plane.
- Ran the outside antenna cord down the fridge vent and into the little closet next to the fridge
- Mounted the signal booster in the cabinet above the bed next to the closet.
- Mounted the internal antenna next to the drawers below the closet. I first had the antenna up higher, but that caused interference between the internal and external antennas (not enough metal in the rv).

Old 06-10-2016, 01:34 AM   #682

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Cosmo,

We love pics...post some of your mod.

Tinker onward

Rvfig
Old 06-11-2016, 01:04 AM   #683
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I've noted my magnetic bathroom door latch in other threads. Figured I'd put it here since I've just made an enhancement. Here is the door latch:

This holds the bi-fold bathroom door closed--figured the pin needed some extra help from driving as we've had the door fly open on a few occasions. In the picture the latch is a simple magnetic drawer latch. It really didn't have a lot of pull against the heavy door--sometimes it felt like it wasn't doing anything at all.
Then I found this guy: Extra Strong Magnetic Catch (Amazon)
Wow, just put this on..I now have to yank the door open LOL. In the closed position I no longer need the pin (They came in a 2-pack; I may figure out a way to use the other one in the open position--then I wouldn't need the pin at all).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #684

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Nice install and idea Jamie. I have had to reinforce the pin blocks on my doors due to the screws stripping. Your magnets solve that problem.
Also considered making it two separate doors like the newer arrangements, but haven't got a round to it yet. Ran out of those lately. If I do split the doors I will use the strong magnets you noted.
Thanks
Old 06-14-2016, 01:40 AM   #685

State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Gearing up for boondocking!

We have finally purchased a set of portable solar panels in preparation of a boondocking vacation. Hiking, biking, rest, relaxation and visiting small towns all around Colorado....

We decided to instal a solar port to make it easier to plug-in the solar panels to the RV. It's a simple SAE port directly wired to the battery (with an inline fuse).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Port_image.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2233

Secondly, we ordered a new CPAP that will run on 12 volt with a converter cable (so no inverter is needed). For powering the CPAP, we removed one of the Axis flood lamps in the back and replaced with a 12volt and USB accessory with an on/off switch. Our son 3D printed the plate and we epoxied the accessory to the plate. CPAP should use 8-24ah in a nights sleep.

Name:	socket_image.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	2234

We will test the CPAP when new cord arrives. We are planning to not use the humidifier or heated hose, and we'll put it in airplane mode so it's not trying to transmit data to big brother.

Getting excited!
Old 06-14-2016, 02:37 AM   #686

State: California
THOR #1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Just installed a Weboost Drive 4G-M in my 24.1. Seems to work really well in my driveway - boosted the signal by 5-15 db and seemed to really increase data transfer speeds.

Here's what I did:
- Attached a 8x16" metal plate to the top of the fridge vent cover for a ground plane.
- Ran the outside antenna cord down the fridge vent and into the little closet next to the fridge
- Mounted the signal booster in the cabinet above the bed next to the closet.
- Mounted the internal antenna next to the drawers below the closet. I first had the antenna up higher, but that caused interference between the internal and external antennas (not enough metal in the rv).
Sounds interesting. We have 2 cpaps. My husband rigged 12v battery so we could dry camp in Yosemite. Drained the batteries, but we cant possibly get by without the humidifiers. Havent dry camped since. Thanks for sharing, and with photos!
Old 06-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #687

THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Sounds interesting. We have 2 cpaps. My husband rigged 12v battery so we could dry camp in Yosemite. Drained the batteries, but we cant possibly get by without the humidifiers. Havent dry camped since. Thanks for sharing, and with photos!
Not sure what CPAP you use, but I've been looking at this automatic humidifier exchanger... Others seem to have success with it.

Direct Home Medical: Universal Inline HME (Heat Moisture Exchange) Humidifier & Bacterial Viral Filter for CPAP Machines
Old 06-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #688

THOR #3306
Hey all, we've seen so many great posts about sewer hose holding options, we finally took the time to engineer another option.

Using 4" pvc pipe from the local hardware store we constructed our new holder. The pipe starts inside the box containing the "dump" stuff. It exits this box through a new hole we cut in the back of the box, then elbows towards the back of the rv and runs along the frame of the chassis. Small holes drilled in the tubing to allow for drip. Both end have threaded caps to allow us to access a primary and secondary hose. Inside of the threaded cap we had to Dremel some pvc to allow for the hose "hooks" to go all the way in to the pvc so we could screw the cap back on.

Hardest part was putting on the hangers to hold it to the frame.

The pipe doesn't hang any lower than the storage boxes of the RV and we really like having access to the hose in from the dump box!

I think we'll add some fire foam insulation around the hole in the back of the box to help close it off a little better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sewer_Line_Pic1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	2281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer_Line_Pic2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2282  

Name:	Sewer_Line_Pic3.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	2283  
Old 06-17-2016, 11:07 PM   #689

THOR #1249
Nice installation. That will make dumping a little more convenient.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #690

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRodgers View Post
Hey all, we've seen so many great posts about sewer hose holding options, we finally took the time to engineer another option.

Using 4" pvc pipe from the local hardware store we constructed our new holder. The pipe starts inside the box containing the "dump" stuff. It exits this box through a new hole we cut in the back of the box, then elbows towards the back of the rv and runs along the frame of the chassis. Small holes drilled in the tubing to allow for drip. Both end have threaded caps to allow us to access a primary and secondary hose. Inside of the threaded cap we had to Dremel some pvc to allow for the hose "hooks" to go all the way in to the pvc so we could screw the cap back on.

Hardest part was putting on the hangers to hold it to the frame.

The pipe doesn't hang any lower than the storage boxes of the RV and we really like having access to the hose in from the dump box!

I think we'll add some fire foam insulation around the hole in the back of the box to help close it off a little better.
Fantastic mod...I was thinking of the same mod. You beat me to it

Super clean.

Tinker onward...
Old 06-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #691

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jolly,

I like the 12V and USB swap-out you did in the light outlet. Can you give more details:
- where you got the accessory 12V/USB?
- do you know what breaker/fuse it runs to?
- how much do you think it can handle (would like to run a small "coffee cup sized" inverter for the TV and - if possible - Blue-ray in the back bedroom).

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:59 AM   #692

THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Jolly,

I like the 12V and USB swap-out you did in the light outlet. Can you give more details:
- where you got the accessory 12V/USB?
- do you know what breaker/fuse it runs to?
- how much do you think it can handle (would like to run a small "coffee cup sized" inverter for the TV and - if possible - Blue-ray in the back bedroom).

Doc
Hey Doc! Good questions.

- we picked up the 12v/sub accessory at autozone. They have a couple varieties. I added a switch to switch the power on/off of the whole unit. I'll try to find a link for it online.

I'm not sure which breaker it ins to, but it'll be what ever breaker the rear reading lamps are on. The reading lamps are already 12volt. So I used a converter for my CPAP. No need for inverter for me. The wiring looks to be 12 gauge - there's probably some standard draw the wiring can handle documented on the Internet. It seems to run my CPAP fine with converter. Probably using less that 5 peak amps and less then 24 amp hours in a night.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #693

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jolly,

Thanks....looks like it's off to AutoZone for me, "Hoods - Up"!!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:32 AM   #694

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1347
Golf Cart Batteries

The Harris batteries that came with my Vegas never were acceptable and one barely held a charge from the gitko. So out with the old and in with 6 volt golf cart batteries. It was a tight fit, and I had to modify the battery box by removing part of the lower support and replacing it with a removable section so I could more easily drop them in vertically. The golf cart batteries are taller and there was no clearance from the terminals to the aluminum underside of the step. I cut a section out of the aluminum, exposing the foam interior to prevent any possible short circuits. The length is also shorter, and that required adding spacers to keep them in place.

I also added a digital meter to keep tabs on charge and discharge rate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vegas Golf Batts.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	2447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegas Ammeter.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2448  

Old 07-12-2016, 02:48 AM   #695

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1347
Windshield Wiper Control Relocation

I have been dissatisfied with the location of the windshield wiper/washer control since our first trip, and I finally decided to do something about it. You can see my solution from the photo. It is now located in a convenient position where I can reach it while still having my hands on the steering wheel and I do not have to bend over and grope for the switch. I know that this solution is not for everyone, but I have never been accused of keeping my vehicles pristine and unmodified, and saving them for the next owner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vegas Wiper Mods.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	2449  
Old 07-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #696

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggys Vegas View Post
I have been dissatisfied with the location of the windshield wiper/washer control since our first trip, and I finally decided to do something about it. You can see my solution from the photo. It is now located in a convenient position where I can reach it while still having my hands on the steering wheel and I do not have to bend over and grope for the switch. I know that this solution is not for everyone, but I have never been accused of keeping my vehicles pristine and unmodified, and saving them for the next owner.
That is a good safety mod. Will keep you from looking down and trying to find it at the exact time that you do not want to be taking your eyes off the road. Exactly how did you do it and what did you use to extend it? I don't understand why Thor does not use the controls on the column. It would be so much easier and better. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:43 AM   #697

State: Alabama
THOR #4866
Pictures of 25.3 recliner install

I am new to this group. We are considering downsizing from our 2012 35' MH to a 25.3. Husband wants to do nearly every mod that Baddad53 discussed. I saw on 4/14/16 recliners came in but can't find the pictures. Can you please direct me? Also we owned a Thor before, are you happy with your decision? We currently have a Tiffin I love., but husband really wants the smaller RUV. The 25.3 is the only floor plan we can agree on..
Valt
Huntsville, Al
2012 Tiffin Allegro TGA
2011 CRV Toad
Old 07-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #698

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valt View Post
I am new to this group. We are considering downsizing from our 2012 35' MH to a 25.3. Husband wants to do nearly every mod that Baddad53 discussed. I saw on 4/14/16 recliners came in but can't find the pictures. Can you please direct me? Also we owned a Thor before, are you happy with your decision? We currently have a Tiffin I love., but husband really wants the smaller RUV. The 25.3 is the only floor plan we can agree on..
Valt
Huntsville, Al
2012 Tiffin Allegro TGA
2011 CRV Toad
Look at this thread. Maybe one if these members can answer your question.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...ners-3953.html
Old 07-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #699

THOR #1765
Organize the Axis Garage

Here is my latest simple modification which I hope will make my life a little easier every night when I set up camp over the next two months At least those nights where we have electric. I was tired of searching for my surge protector, 30 amp cord and water hose every time I set up camp, especially in the dark. So I went to Home Depot and bought four large hooks 20-30 lb weight bearing and hung them in the aft garage, driver's side. Now when I stop, the first thing inside the aft compartment door on the left hand side is the surge protector, the second is the 30 amp cord (presently plugged in to my 30 amp power) and third is my water hose. The fourth hanger is for my spare 30 amp cord.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	2544  
Old 07-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #700
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Here is my latest simple modification which I hope will make my life a little easier every night when I set up camp over the next two months At least those nights where we have electric. I was tired of searching for my surge protector, 30 amp cord and water hose every time I set up camp, especially in the dark. So I went to Home Depot and bought four large hooks 20-30 lb weight bearing and hung them in the aft garage, driver's side. Now when I stop, the first thing inside the aft compartment door on the left hand side is the surge protector, the second is the 30 amp cord (presently plugged in to my 30 amp power) and third is my water hose. The fourth hanger is for my spare 30 amp cord.
Looks good ! Those hooks are the first thing Ron gets when outfitting a trailer or rv. ... question...does your 'garage' have lights? Each compartment in our Axis has at least one light.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote