Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
The UltraGauge draining the battery is a criticism I have read from other sources as well.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Can we find out which line supplies power and put a switch in it?
Old 12-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #43
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Pin 16 of the OBD-II connector supplies power:
On-board diagnostics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #44

THOR #1075
Groswald,

I read that many if not all of the AC outlets with USB draw current even if nothing is plugged into the USB ports. It may not be much but that may be one of the sources of your drain.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:59 AM   #45
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
The AC outlets that have USB sockets on them convert the AC into 5V DC. They wouldn't be draining his 12V battery unless he is leaving an Inverter turned on.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
If you were to put a switch into the OBD connector, I would buy a short OBD extension and put the switch on that. You would not have any warranty issues that way - if you have that concern, as you are not cutting into the vehicle's wiring harness.

http://www.amazon.com/OBD-II-Female-...s=obd+extender

I guess I should check my ScanGauge II and see if it is doing anything similar.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #47

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Re: the AC USB charger. As noted it probably does draw 110 power, but only when we're plugged in or the genset is running so no problem there. The Axis doesn't have an inverter. I do have plans to add one, hopefully before next season, but will probably only power the refrigerator, microwave, and the outlet on the end of the kitchen counter with it. I'd be really interested in details if anyone has added an inverter to their Axis or Vegas!

And the UG: I like the idea of adding an OBD extension and switch, but truthfully just unplugging it is really simple. I'm also not sure that the UG is the entire battery problem. I've noticed that the little courtesy light above the radio doesn't always go out when I think it should so it may be contributing as well. It's unplugged now too. It's pretty worthless as a light source so I may just clip its power wire or maybe add a switch if I get ambitious.

Randy
Old 12-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #48
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald
but truthfully just unplugging it is really simple.
Except that the J1962 plug on the vehicle side is really really cheap. They are rated for about a dozen mate/demates over their lifetime and thus the automakers really skimp on the quality of that part (I used to work with Ford's end-of-line people where each car is tested at the plant. The equipment that plugged into that connector, however, was rated at millions of connections and thus was a big huge beefy thing--kind of comical: plugging this expensive beefy thing into the cheapest connector of them all.)
Old 12-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #49

THOR #1147
Jamie,

Good to know, thanks!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #50

THOR #1075
Jamie and Groswald,

You two make this a great thread. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #51

THOR #1147
Jamie, we have a fan!

Randy
Old 12-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #52

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1347
Side View Mirrors

Recently picked up a 2015 Vegas and noticed on driving it home that I could not see back along the side of the motorhome because the mirrors are not out far enough due to the narrower front area. I have driven numerous motorhomes and large trucks over the years and find that this is a bit disconcerting. It is particularly annoying in backing the Vegas into my narrow garage. Also I would also like to be able to see my enclosed trailer when towing, and wonder if anyone has come up with a way to extend the mirrors, or to add an extension.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:21 AM   #53
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Have you played around with the 3 backup cameras? (one in each mirror and one on the back of the coach)
Old 12-04-2014, 02:53 AM   #54

THOR #1075
I have enough lateral positioning movement in my 2015 Axis that I can almost look back at myself. Both mirrors on each side of my Axis can be individually repositioned either by motor or by hand. It took a few minutes but I now have all four mirrors adjusted for my personal height and seating. Including the back-up camera, I can see 360 degrees.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:01 AM   #55
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Oh yeah: When we first got ours both the side mirrors were set in too far. Even using the power adjuster I always had about 1/2 the mirror showing the side of the camper. I had to manually adjust the mirror housings: Look on the bottom there are some allen screws you can loosen up and turn the whole housing to adjust the mirror somewhat.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #56

THOR #1075
You know, if the Axis/Vegas had it's own manual, adjustments for this, the ability to reposition the dump outlet and other issues yet to be found or discussed could be explained so owners could enjoy their unit quicker and have better public comments about their new units.

It's really great that we have this discussion group and this thread to help understand the operations and improvements of our units.

I'm sure someone from Thor probably reads these posts but it would be really great if they would identify themselves and join the conversations with comments. This would show a concern and interest in helping new owners.

My background is in management, promotion, public relations and advertising and I have found a showing of concern, whether real or false, is accepted positively by the consumer and makes owners feel much more positive about their purchase and the company.

I will pledge never to trash talk Thor if they would make comments about the how, why and what of issues. Just keeping us updated would help PR tremendously.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #57

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
AA9ZZ...Agree with you 100% on this. Would be great to have a coach specific operator's manual to help with some of the issues that arise. And agree it would be nice if the Thor Team would comment here about owner's concerns. I know they log in and check the forum occasionally.

Jamie... Didn't know about the allen screws on the bottom of the mirrors for further adjustments. Nice to know. Thanks.

And while on the subject of cameras/mirrors, I've had mine at a CW going on a month this coming Saturday awaiting parts from Thor for the left side camera/mirror assembly. Also awaiting a "pin" for the passenger side arm rest and a windshield washer pump. After several calls to CW, all they can tell me is that they are at the mercy of Thor to send the parts. This comes after they told me originally that Thor is really good about working with them and getting parts and warrant authorizations in a timely manner. I'm giving them one more week and if I don't hear something positive, I will drive the 100+ miles to pick my coach up until they get the parts in to perform the work. Was hoping to take it on the road again this month for a few days.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #58

THOR #1147
Chassis Battery Fill

Just a quick one today. I ordered a Pro-Fill battery watering device for the chassis battery and installed it today. As usual, Amazon was cheaper than CW, even with the Good Sam Discount.

The install was really simple and took about 15 minutes. The hardest part was getting the old caps off. One went flying down in the engine bay and I never did find it.

I want to do the same for the house batteries, but I wasn't sure there was enough headroom. Having the device in-hand I checked and it should fit fine. I'll be ordering the set for twin batteries soon.

If you order the system don't forget that you have to order the pump separately.

I finished the new "coffee" table today too, but haven't taken it to the coach for pictures. Will post when I can.

Regards,

Randy
Old 12-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #59

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1347
Message to Jamie

Jamie,

I have played around with the mirrors, and also readjusted the mirrors using the Allen screws as you suggested. That helped some. It would be really useful if there was a way to use the drivers side camera while backing up. I wonder if it would be possible to modify the wiring and add a selector switch?

I store my Vegas in a farm building and have a rather narrow area between the wall and a backhoe to park it, and I have to back it in at an angle and then straighten out. I had a similar problem parking my Ford Flex in our basement garage that only had about 6 inches from the mirrors on both sides. I solved the problem by painting a 4 inch wide orange stripe in the center, with a perpendicular line at the end that could be clearly visible in the rear view camera. (except on snowy slushy days when the camera was covered) I'll have to try that with the Vegas.

Thanks for your reply.

Incidentally, when I tried to do a quick reply to you post I got the message that it was not permitted. How does that work?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #60
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggys_Vegas
It would be really useful if there was a way to use the drivers side camera while backing up.
Turn on the radio (you'll have to turn down the volume as there is no way to accomplish this without the radio on). Press the CAM button. You'll see three boxes on the bottom of the screen (I think it says: "CAM 1", "CAM 2", "CAM 3" or something like that). Tap which one you want to see on the display and it will switch to that view. I'll have to try this while the camper is in reverse to see if you can override the trigger (I know I've used it driving down the road). Have you tried backing up with the turn signal on?

Hmm don't know enough about the forums here to know why it did that.