Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
I've heard of the Axxera, but never seen one. It's supposed to be an improvement over the Jensen!

Old 12-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #102

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
That's what is in mine also. Guess they went with these over the Jensens in '15 since there were some problems with the Jensen.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #103

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I was bummed because it the Axxera does not seem to have the weather radio function.

On a good note however, I have my Axis at home for a while.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #104

THOR #1123
Got mine home yesterday too and so glad to have it back home and out of CW's hands. Miraculously, they were able to resolve all the repair issues other than the broken chair arm they claimed was a wrong one sent to them by Thor. They are going to ship the arm to me once they receive it and I'll replace it myself. That's the last time I'll visit that CW.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:13 AM   #105

THOR #1075
Larry,

I noticed on the Axxera website that there are software updates for our radios. Have you downloaded and installed them yet?
Old 12-22-2014, 02:40 AM   #106

THOR #1123
No. I've not seen the website so didn't know of any updates. Thanks for mentioning it and I'll have to take a look. Do you plan on downloading them? Sounds interesting.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:25 AM   #107
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow that Axxera unit looks a lot nicer than the Jensen unit. It only seems to have one A/V input though. How do they handle the 3 camera input? (Is there an "external" switch?--I mean external to the radio.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #108

THOR #1075
I had not noticed the different radio. I guess I have been too busy getting used to the unit and then storing it. I'll copy the diagrams sent with the unit and post or send them to you. A very odd function (or lack thereof) is that it does not multi task. That is if you are listening to the radio, then view the camera, the audio of the radio goes off.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #109

THOR #1123
The audio on mine doesn't go off whenever I'm driving and use the cameras via the turn signals. Does yours? There are 3 a/v internal inputs for the cameras. The problem they finally found with my left side camera was with the cable which had a bad connector according to the CW where I took it. They had replaced the camera/mirror assembly before finding the root cause.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #110

THOR #1147
I don't know, not having seen one, but I expect the Axxera uses a video multiplexer to select which of the three cameras to feed to the head-unit. They are available from Amazon or Crutchfield and aren't very expensive.

They have the same trigger capability as that built into the Jensen so the side-view cameras override the default when the turn signals are on. They probably don't allow changing the default camera like the Jensen does, but that's a small loss.

I did some research on the multiplexers when looking at higher-quality options to replace the Jensen.

Regards,

Randy
Old 12-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #111
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Just put a tankful of miles on ours and it would appear the additional insulation did quiet the engine noise down enough to be able to have a conversation while driving (350 miles down about 1000 to go...).
As far as my cranking battery's charge I have a new theory for that: I was running the engine weekly while in storage. It is very likely every time I started the V-10 I wouldn't let it run long enough to replace the charge used to start it back into the battery. Thus every time I would leave the battery a little less until it was completely discharged.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #112

THOR #1147
Jamie,

I read an article in MH magazine that discussed using the alternator as a charger while parked. It said engine RPMs need to be about 1500 for the alternator to work at peak performance. It will need to run for about an hour to charge house and chassis batteries fully.

It also made the point that doing that was a whole lot more effective than using the genset and converter for the same purpose. If I remember correctly they claimed that a full charge on all batteries took about the same amount of gas either way, and a lot less time using the engine.

Randy
Old 12-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #113

THOR #1075
Anyone add a cup/drink holder that will accept a 20 oz plastic soda bottle? If so, which one and where did you get it?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #114

THOR #1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
Anyone add a cup/drink holder that will accept a 20 oz plastic soda bottle? If so, which one and where did you get it?
I have. Check out my entry earlier in this thread about making new consoles for the driver and passenger. I added a bottle holder to the passenger side. I got it from the RV'rs favorite supplier, Amazon.

I actually bought 4 cause they were cheap and I thought I'd find a use for them. So far I haven't.

Send me a PM and I'll send you a couple, if you'd like. Right now they're just cluttering up the shop.

Randy
Old 12-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #115

THOR #1147
Jamie,

When you have a chance, would you post a few pictures of your insulation work? That's high on my priority list.

Randy
Old 12-29-2014, 12:12 PM   #116
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I only have a few pictures of the unit with the doghouse removed. I didn't take a picture of the doghouse cover after I put more insulation on it.
If you look at this picture:

The material I got is essentially the same thing that is on there so I just doubled it up; covering the existing material with the same stuff. What I should have done is take the remaining material and cover the inside of the doghouse doubling that up as well. (See the top and sides under the dash in this picture.)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:00 AM   #117

THOR #1075
Nice work above Jamie.

Anyone planning on attending the Central Indiana RV show next weekend in Indianapolis? I'd sure like to meet some of you Axis owners.

I'll bet there will be a lot of ideas for mods there.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #118
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I won't be there, that is too far to go for a camper show. I'd have to take the Axis since my daily driver can only go about 80 miles and takes 3 hours to put those 80 miles back into it.
Having just put about 2600 miles on the Axis I'm ready to let it rest for some time.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #119

THOR #1075
Bummer. I was hoping to meet you, Randy and a couple of others who have been posting here. I'll watch to see if I can find something that would work well for the Axis.

Looks like you had a good trip.

Phil
Old 01-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #120

THOR #1147
Unhappy

Can't quite get there, but I'll be at the one in Denver next Saturday, assuming I get over the flu by then!

Randy